Subject: [Enum] ENUM applications

From: "McCandless, Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:33:22 -0600

We are participating in the US ENUM trial and are starting on working on
phase three requirements that includes testing ENUM enabled
applications.  If you are aware of any ENUM applications that are
available for use in our trial would you please email me directly.

Thank you,

Kevin 

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Andrew Gallant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:51:24 -0500

Hi Kevin.

In theory, the snom and 3cx softphones do enum lookups as MS windows-based
applications.  Enum.at also has an ENUM softphone.

1.  http://www.snom.com/snom360softphone.html  This does have some
configuration options for ENUM, but so far I haven't been able to make the
basic phone work.

2.  http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/sip-phone.html  I have installed but not tested
this yet.  The web page says it does ENUM but I haven't found any way to do
it yet.

3.  http://www.enum.at/index.php?id=softphone
<http://www.enum.at/index.php?id=softphone&L=9> &L=9  I haven't tried this.
This page is the English version of the one Robert provided.

Thanks.

-Andy

| Andrew Gallant
| AG Design, LLC
| 664 Azalea Drive
| Rockville, MD 20850 USA
| Tel:   +1 301 762 4024
| Fax:   +1 301 762 5801
| Cell:  +1 301 785 1442
| Email: [email-masked]

  _____  

From: McCandless, Kevin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Enum] ENUM applications

We are participating in the US ENUM trial and are starting on working on
phase three requirements that includes testing ENUM enabled applications.
If you are aware of any ENUM applications that are available for use in our
trial would you please email me directly.

Thank you,

Kevin

---

From: Carsten Schiefner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:16:44 +0100

Kevin, all -

> available for use in our trial would you please email me directly.

Juergen Falb [http://www.falb.at/] has a Firefox plug-in on his site. 
Unfortunately it works with FF 1.0.x so far only.

Best,

	Carsten

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:29:20 -0500

The SNOM 300 320 and 360 hard phones definitely have built in ENUM support,
its triggered via the use of a dial prefix like 011 that is configured via
its HTTP interface. The apex is also configurable.

In addition the Asterisk server has long had ENUM support and I'm aware that
the Pingtel platform will have ENUM support built in shortly. I not sure
about reSIPprocate or SER. 

In addition you will find that all the major SBC's have ENUM support
..Nextone and Acme Packet, for carrier applications where the SBC queries
via DNS and translates the response to SIP Redirect for the Soft Switches
that currently cannot support 3761.

  _____  

From: Andrew Gallant [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:51 AM
To: 'McCandless, Kevin'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Enum] ENUM applications

Hi Kevin.

Thanks.

-Andy

| Andrew Gallant
| AG Design, LLC
| 664 Azalea Drive

  _____  

Thank you,

Kevin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 17:00:04 -0500

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>

   I'm aware that the Pingtel platform will have ENUM support built in
   shortly.

ENUM support is scheduled for the 3.8 version of SIPxchange, Pingtel's
commercial product, but the open-source sipX version has native ENUM
support now (http://www.sipfoundry.org).  (You can try it out by
registering a phone to Pingtel's interoperability server -- see
http://interop.pingtel.com.)

Dale

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:14:33 -0500

> available for use in our trial would you please email me directly.

http://www.e164.org/wiki/StuffThatSupportsENUM

-- 

Best regards,
 Duane

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:11:35 +0100 (CET)

> about reSIPprocate or SER.

SER has had ENUM support for a long time already. Also the SER fork 
OpenSER supports ENUM. (We are using it in our system.)

In the H.323 world I am aware of GnuGK, that supports ENUM.

cheers,
  Bernie

---

From: lconroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:13:59 +0000

Hi folks,
-- This is a general comment - it is not specific to SER (or *, or  
Intertex, or IOS...) --

  Please be aware that the ENUM support in the products listed so far  
is generally
"as good as you need". To get an ENUM client working and delivering  
calls is not
at all hard, and as mentioned there are many products that do this.

However...
Support for ENUM is not always complete, and the different  
implementations do
not always handle the potential buffer overflow attack well.

 From the ENUM Plugtest ETSI ran last year (and in testing other  
implementations
as part of that work), we found that some of the implementations do  
not support
"non-trivial" Regexps well or at all.
They often ignore non-terminal NAPTRs, and NAPTRs where there is more  
than one
enumservice.
At the time some didn't handle sorting multiple NAPTRs properly or  
even notice
that there could be more than one NAPTR in a response. I trust these  
have been
fixed since then.

YMMV: this was the state of the art last year. For basic ENUM  
mediated calling
there are a wide range of options, but...

Don't assume that all ENUM implementations are as thorough as one  
another.
They may be good enough for your purposes, but that doesn't mean that  
they will
all behave the same way when looking up different ENUM zones.
In short, "Be careful out there"

all the best,
   Lawrence

---

From: Duane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:45:14 -0500

> not always handle the potential buffer overflow attack well.

Asterisk is/was notorious for this, we added a record type and this
broke asterisk in 2 ways, they weren't checking for long ENUM types, or
long enum records, both caused asterisk to crash as they had a fixed
buffer and didn't bother to check the string length, or limit the length
going into the buffer.

-- 

Best regards,
 Duane