Subject: RE: [Enum] Proposal for new enumservice "voicemail", using SIP UR I

From: "Lupton, Ronan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:45:49 -0000

How about we just leave voicemail to the User?

>From a policy point of voice I think its better and also if SPIT and online
telemarketing takes off we may avoid nasty surpriese in our voicemail boxes.

Would a DNS entry for online VM have repercussions for 'do not call' and
'telemarketing regulations'?

Couple of comments [I have already made to James]:

1. Voicemail being the logical 'treatment' for calls that go unanswered
might already exist at the choice of the called party? i.e., User Busy, no
user responding, no answer from the user.
[JJ] I'm focusing on the scenario where the caller is specifically trying to
get to callee's voicemail.
2. A separate URI for Voicemail open up access for SPIT in the medium term?
[JJ] That's true, but also applicable to the VPIM enumservice or using
callerprefs. 
3. In stating point 2. most voicemail on fixed networks is a User controlled
whilst on mobile networks is facilitated by an extra digit being inserted
for remote access, which to some extent is also User controlled should the
User opt to turn on Voicemail.

Though I can see why it would be useful as a stand alone. I thought someone
had done this already but have forgotten what the detail or debate was.

Ronan 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackson, James [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 30 January 2007 17:05
To: Duane; Paul Kyzivat
Cc: [email-masked]; Shawn Pouliotte
Subject: RE: [Enum] Proposal for new enumservice "voicemail", using SIP URI

I have been thinking about the PSTN service in another context, but perhaps
it is more generally applicable here. Specifically, consider the case where
the called number is purely PSTN and you want to reach their voicemail. In
theory an ENUM query could return the Call Forwarding Number and the call
could be forwarded out a Media Gateway. The mailbox would be indicated by
the Redirecting Number.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:57 AM
To: Paul Kyzivat
Cc: Jackson, James; [email-masked]; Shawn Pouliotte
Subject: Re: [Enum] Proposal for new enumservice "voicemail", using SIP URI

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> The above assumes that the VM system is arranged in a suitable way. 
> Notably that it has a unique and globally routable URI of its own for 
> each mailbox (possibly by a common URI plus a parameter identifying
the 
> mailbox). Or at least that there is a single globally routable URI for

> the VM server and that the caller will be satisfied with having to
enter 
> the target phone number a second time.

While I won't go into the merits of having such an enum service, (although
couldn't it just be a sub-type of pstn?) it seems pretty trivial to me to be
just another SIP URI that could easily be setup, both in DNS and in most/all
software driven PBXs.

eg

sip:[email-masked]
voicemail:[email-masked]

On the PBX you simply look for vm- strip it and send the call into the 
voicemail system.

eg

100 10 "u" "E2U+PSTN" "!^(.*)$!sip:\\[email-masked]!" .
100 10 "u" "E2U+PSTN" "!^(.*)$!voicemail:vm-\\[email-masked]!" .

-- 

Best regards,
  Duane

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum