Subject: RE: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-unused-00.txt

From: "Lupton, Ronan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:07:00 -0000

Clive, is this not just a hangover from the 'return to block holder'
solution that the UK implemented on PSTN networks many years ago now?

Whilst your range holder status does not amend for the UK PSTN and TDM
traffic, the onward SIP/ENUM operator which a subscribed end-user would:

1. Know that they are the donor of the ported number PSTN; and
2. Have obligations on the PSTN to service the end-user via the address
which in this case is a number, to include potentially SIP services.

I believe you might need to take a look at the Haberler and Stastny work on
portabilty which I think works to a large extent.

This is not rocket science at all.

Ronan 

-----Original Message-----
From: Clive D.W. Feather [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 22 January 2007 09:57
To: lconroy
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 'Otmar Lendl';
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-unused-00.txt

lconroy said:
> "unused" already states that the C-o-R may be able to provision every 
> ENUM domain for which it is responsible. If there are parts of the 
> tree for which an entity is not responsible, then it is "from the 
> Ministry of stating the bleedin' obvious" that it should not try to 
> provision entries for those parts.

Not so obvious.

Under the UK rules, my employer (THUS) is "rangeholder" for +44 20 7958
xxxx.
Some of the numbers in that block have been ported to C&W.

Incoming calls to those C&W numbers don't work unless we co-operate, so
there is a sense in which we, as rangeholder, are responsible for them. On
the other hand, the numbers are used by a C&W customer, so there's a sense
in which C&W are responsible.

It needs to be explicitly stated that THUS should *not* try to provision
entries for the ported numbers even though they have some responsibility.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
THUS plc            |                            |

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum