Subject: Re: [Enum] Preliminary ENUM agenda ...draft-chenh-enum-app-auth-00.txt

From: "chenhui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:56:57 +0800

Dear Penn Pfautz,

Thank you for your comments.
Your assumption is the actual method for implementation of application authentication. And I also think the information such as timestamp or call-id is necessary to be used.

This I-D is to provide an authentication scheme for ENUM application by loading _originer's_ ENUM number in the session. 
As we know, the ENUM subscriber has submitted his real information, so ENUM number can be considered the user's identifier of his reality. Thus the session with originer's ENUM number can be authenticated by the reciever.

Chenhui

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Pfautz, Penn L, GBLAM" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 1:53 AM
Subject: RE: [Enum] Preliminary ENUM agenda ...draft-chenh-enum-app-auth-00.txt

I assume the announcement for this I-D is coming but some comments
anyway...

I think the use of ENUM to support end-to-end authentication is an
interesting possibility.
It might even turn out to be the killer app for user ENUM :-)

Am I right in assuming that the E.164 number registered in ENUM must be
combined with a timestamp or call-ID or other information specific to
the session being initiated before being encrypted in order to prevent
replay attacks?

Penn Pfautz

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Enum] Preliminary ENUM agenda ...

Title : Authentication Scheme for Public ENUM Applications
Author(s) : C. Hui, et al.
Filename : draft-chenh-enum-app-auth-00.txt
Pages : 15
Date : 2006-10-9

   ENUM possesses the feature of E.164 number authenticity, therefore by
   being carried with initiation signal of application services, ENUM
   number can be used to identify originer.

   The service initiation signal includes sender's (originer's) un-
   encrypted ENUM number and encrypted ENUM number, or some other
   information needed by specific applications, then receiver decrypts
   encrypted ENUM number and compares decrypted result with the un-
   encrypted ENUM number to authenticate the originer's identity.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chenh-enum-app-auth-00.txt

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum