Subject: [Enum] Preliminary ENUM agenda ...

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:55:05 -0400

Let me know if there are any additions or corrections here.

Agenda of the 67th IETF Meeting

Probably Monday 

PRELIMINARY: IETF 67 San Diego Telephone Number Mapping (ENUM) WG Agenda 

Chair(s):
Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]> 
Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>

WG Secretary:
Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]> 

RAI Director(s):
Jon Peterson [email-masked]
Cullen Jennings [email-masked]

RAI Area Advisor:
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Review of Agenda 

Status of Drafts and in Drafts the Queue Overview -  Alexander Mayhofer WG
Secretary

Experience draft finalization?

Enumservices Guide?

draft-ietf-enum-3761bis-00.txt

draft-ietf-enum-uri-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Telephone Number Mapping Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: The Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) DNS Resource
Record
	Author(s)	: P. Faltstrom, O. Kolkman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-enum-uri-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2006-9-28
	
This document defines a new DNS resource record, called the Uniform Resource
Identifier (URI) RR, for publishing mappings from hostnames to URIs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-uri-00.txt

	Title		: The ENUM Branch Location Record
	Author(s)	: O. Lendl
	Filename	: draft-lendl-enum-branch-location-record-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2006-6-26
	
This documents defines the ENUM Branch Location record which is used
   to indicate where the ENUM tree for special ENUM application is
   located.  The primary application for the EBL is to enable a
   temporary solution for the infrastructure ENUM tree.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lendl-enum-branch-location-record-
02.txt

Title		: Authentication Scheme for Public ENUM Applications
	Author(s)	: C. Hui, et al.
	Filename	: draft-chenh-enum-app-auth-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2006-10-9

   ENUM possesses the feature of E.164 number authenticity, therefore by
   being carried with initiation signal of application services, ENUM
   number can be used to identify originer.

   The service initiation signal includes sender's (originer's) un-
   encrypted ENUM number and encrypted ENUM number, or some other
   information needed by specific applications, then receiver decrypts
   encrypted ENUM number and compares decrypted result with the un-
   encrypted ENUM number to authenticate the originer's identity.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chenh-enum-app-auth-00.txt

Title		: IANA Registration for Enumservice 'XMPP'
	Author(s)	: A. Mayrhofer
	Filename	: draft-mayrhofer-enum-xmpp-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2006-10-2
	
   This document requests IANA registration of an Enumservice for
   Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) Uniform Resource
   Identifiers (URIs) according to the registration procedure outlined
   in RFC 3761.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mayrhofer-enum-xmpp-00.txt

Title		: IANA Registration for Enumservice foaf
	Author(s)	: K. Reichinger
	Filename	: draft-reichinger-enum-foaf-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2006-8-17
	
This memo registers the Enumservice "foaf" using the URI schemes
"http" and "https" according to the IANA Enumservice registration
process defined in RFC3671.  The Enumservice "foaf" is to be used to
refer from an ENUM domain name to the location of a FOAF RDF file
using the corresponding E.164 telephone number.

Clients may use data retrieved from a FOAF RDF file to provide caller
or callee with information available within the Friend-Of-A-Friend
(FOAF) Semantic Web application.  For example, the caller might be
presented with personal information on the callee (e.g. name, gender
and various online attributes) as well as information on the callee's
social context (e.g. relations to friends or colleagues).
Information collected from FOAF can be used before, during or after a
communication is established.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reichinger-enum-foaf-01.txt

Infrastructure ENUM root discussion ????

Open Session ?.

Richard Shockey
Director, Member of the Technical Staff
NeuStar
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org 
sip:5651(at)neustarlab.biz
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> 
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, GBLAM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:53:42 -0400

I assume the announcement for this I-D is coming but some comments
anyway...

I think the use of ENUM to support end-to-end authentication is an
interesting possibility.
It might even turn out to be the killer app for user ENUM :-)

Am I right in assuming that the E.164 number registered in ENUM must be
combined with a timestamp or call-ID or other information specific to
the session being initiated before being encrypted in order to prevent
replay attacks?

Penn Pfautz

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:32:50 -0400

I am new in working with ENUM, and I'd like to test out our ENUM
resolver.  Are there any "test numbers" with known ENUM resolutions
that I can use?  Unfortunately, it's hard to search a sparse DNS space
to find the valid entries.

Thanks,

Dale

---

From: Otmar Lendl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:08:22 +0200

> to find the valid entries.

See http://enum-test.at/index_en.html for some numbers with which
you can test ENUM call routing implementations.

/ol
-- 
< Otmar Lendl ([email-masked]) | nic.at Systems Engineer >

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:50:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Rich!

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Richard Shockey wrote:

> [...]

We have just submitted an updated version. It still contains quite 
a bit of open issues. I think we should solve at least some of those 
during the ENUM meeting in San Diego.

cheers,
  Bernie

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:24:23 -0400

> From: Bernie Hoeneisen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 2:50 PM
> To: Richard Shockey
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Enum] Preliminary ENUM agenda ...
> 
> Hi Rich!
> 

So do I .... send a note to the list on what you think the open issues
really are ..

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:48:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Rich et al.

> So do I .... send a note to the list on what you think the open issues

We have listed the Open Issues (and ToDo's) in an appendix session of the 
latest version, which is in the I-D queue to be published. In the 
meantime you can download it from:

       http://ietf.hoeneisen.ch/draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide-02.txt
       http://ietf.hoeneisen.ch/draft-ietf-enum-enumservices-guide-02.html

In the following some of the open issues for the WG to think about:

i1) Document status and dependencies:

    o  Clarify Status of document.  Is BCP adequate?

    o  Clarify dependencies and collisions with RFC 3761.  Should this
       document update RFC 3761?

    o  Clarify dependencies of general security and privacy
       considerations (which apply to all Enumservices) and write them
       down.

i2) Type / Subtype / URI schemes

    o  Write more about how to choose type/subtype/etc.

    o  More about Subtype applicability.

    o  Clarify Relation between Subtypes and URI schemes

    o  Clarify mixing subtyped / non subtyped for a type

    o  Extension of an existing Enumservice.

i3) IANA impact

    o  Clarify IANA impact of this document.

i4) Experimental Enumservices

    o  Clarify whether experimental Enumservices should be described
       herein.

More detailed descriptions will follow, either shortly before San Diego or 
during the ENUM WG there.

Have fun!

cheers,
  Bernie