Subject: [Enum] URN in ENUM

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:29:25 +0200

Folks,
 
A simple question: does RFC3761 also allow URNs in the regexp?
 
Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Otmar Lendl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:02:44 +0200

> A simple question: does RFC3761 also allow URNs in the regexp?

3761 says:

2.3.  Expected Output

   The output of the last DDDS loop is a Uniform Resource Identifier in
   its absolute form according to the 'absoluteURI' production in the
   Collected ABNF found in RFC2396 [4].

>From RFC2396:

1.2. URI, URL, and URN

   A URI can be further classified as a locator, a name, or both.  The
   term "Uniform Resource Locator" (URL) refers to the subset of URI
   that identify resources via a representation of their primary access
   mechanism (e.g., their network "location"), rather than identifying
   the resource by name or by some other attribute(s) of that resource.
   The term "Uniform Resource Name" (URN) refers to the subset of URI
   that are required to remain globally unique and persistent even when
   the resource ceases to exist or becomes unavailable.
...
   A URN differs from a URL in that it's primary purpose is persistent
   labeling of a resource with an identifier.  That identifier is drawn
   from one of a set of defined namespaces, each of which has its own
   set name structure and assignment procedures.  The "urn" scheme has
   been reserved to establish the requirements for a standardized URN
   namespace, as defined in "URN Syntax" [RFC2141] and its related
   specifications.

and thus:

      absoluteURI   = scheme ":" ( hier_part | opaque_part )
      scheme        = alpha *( alpha | digit | "+" | "-" | "." )

So yes: "urn:...." is an absoluteURI and thus allowed in ENUM NAPTRs.

/ol
-- 
< Otmar Lendl ([email-masked]) | nic.at Systems Engineer >