Subject: [Enum] [ticket.frobbit.se #878] experimental ENUM services - clash prevention

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer via RT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:59:12 +0200 (CEST)

Tue Mar 28 09:59:12 2006: Request 878 was acted upon.
Transaction: Ticket created by [email-masked]
       Queue: 3761bis
     Subject: experimental ENUM services - clash prevention
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: [email-masked]
      Status: new
 Ticket <URL: http://ticket.frobbit.se/Ticket/Display.html?id=878 >

because of the cumbersome process of ENUMservice registration, more and more
experimental services are popping up. Contrary to it's intended purpose,
more and more of those services are used "de facto" not only internally, but
between different parties. This increases the risk of collisions  between
several different implementations of "experimental" ENUMservices, hence
creating the need for preventing collisions between those services.

I'm envisaging a process where the name and service of such experimental
services (or probably a new class of "draft services") would be registered
in a very lightweight way, just for preventing clashes between them, eg. like:

- Post a description of the service to the ENUM WG mailing list, including:
  - experimental service type name
  - proposed subtypes name
  - proposed URI types
  - short usage description

if there are no substantial objections posted on the list (eg. like using
"x-skype" for sip URIs ;), the usage of the experimental service name is
recorded in some list (IANA?). That experimental label may then be used for
the purpose described. If usage picks up, it is strongly recommended that
the common ENUMService registration process is started.

I am aware that this is a difficile issue - we don't want to lure people
away from registering "real" ENUMservices, but we need to provide a way to
prevent clashes.

That could obviously go into the "guide" draft, but would probably affect
3761bis as well.

cheers

Alex

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum