Subject: Re: [Enum] General question on Enumservices

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:52:44 +0100

Hi Tony,

>>On one hand a lot of people seem to have very creative
>>ideas on what kind information one may link to a
>>communication identifier such as an E.164 number
>
>Sage advice.  Creative ideas on bindings are easy.

>Any creative ideas on how providers are going to
>make money?  What capabilities in the protocols
>allow for billing and accounting?

>Could be useful. :-)

Either my view of the worls or yours is wrong

1. Providers = service providers are serving the customer
(serving is derived from latin servus=slave)
by providing a service to the customer he is willing to pay for
(customer value)
 
2. USER ENUM is for the End User = Customer
The service is providing him a domain in ENUM
He is willing to pay for this only if it gives him some value
the more value (more potential use) he gets out of it, the more
he is willing to use it
AND in addition the user is pointing in ENUM again
to services. So the more services he may point to, the better
for service providers
 
3. In Infrastructure ENUM also the provider hosting the
domain may provide more services - again more value for 
the customer.
 
4. the time of metered services is IMHO over
in future the billing will be simpler - flat fees.

That saves money on complicated billing systems

cheers
Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:47:26 -0500

Hi Richard,

>to services. So the more services he may point to, the better

All of this is nice in theory.  However, it's apparent that
the nature of the services being provided as well as the
interactions among multiple kinds of providers of services
associated with a single number is significantly more complex
for both the user and providers involved, as well as subject
to all kinds of authentications as part of the associated
administrative processes.   Someone will bear those costs
and it's not clear who will want to get left "holding the
bag" for some flat rate, and be unable to charge for
supplementary services.  So the cost model remains unclear.

Additionally, all the nations of the world add substantial
regulatory, justice, and security burdens on top of this
identifier system that get more complex and extensive by
the day.  (Check out today's FCC delegation of number
pooling to the State Commissions.)   At last check, these
burdens include:  number portability, priority access,
roaming, directory assistance, callerid, disability assistance,
language preference, personal emergency (E112/911), law
enforcement assistance (including data retention in many
countries), public emergency alerts, donotcall, intercarrier
compensation, service provider specification.

ENUM is cool.  However, the administrative challenges
and sorting out of the associated burdens and costs is
non-trivial.

--tony