Subject: Re: [Enum] General question on Enumservices

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:35:50 +0100

>So let's think about how ENUM can support vCard rather than devise an
>entirely new protocol, service, and technology.
 
There seems to be a slight misunderstanding
 
I did not propose anything like that
 
On the contrary, IMHO some of the new proposed Enumservices
could be replaced by using vcard
 
Richard

________________________________

Von: Mark Hewitt [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Fr 24.02.2006 18:31
An: Stastny Richard; [email-masked]
Betreff: RE: [Enum] General question on Enumservices

Richard;

Good observation however consider for a moment that the structure of DNS is
already well established and considered part of every basic IP device today.
ENUM is simply a series of extensions for indexing more complex services
than just the translation of an IP address to a name and the reverse.

There are certainly more efficient protocols and technologies than the
weighty IP protocol today - yet it is an accepted standard - DNS is the
same.

Some additional extensions of services now include "Identity Management" -
allowing for a single logon to member services and sites.

So let's think about how ENUM can support vCard rather than devise an
entirely new protocol, service, and technology.

_______________________________

Mark S. Hewitt
(813) 849-7821 Direct

-----Original Message-----
From: Stastny Richard [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 9:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Enum] General question on Enumservices

Folks,

I have a general question concerning Enumservices

Considering the bunch of the different Enumservices
popping up recently I ask myself if we are not overdoing it

On one hand a lot of people seem to have very creative
ideas on what kind information one may link to a
communication identifier such as an E.164 number

So we are back to the original idea of the electronic
business card.

Bernie mentioned in context with the IM service that
one my put all is Yahoo, aol, icq, jabber etc ID into
ENUM and somebody else may try to find out which is
matching his service.

If I add now to this the webpage, email, vcard, calendar,
eventually the old idea we had in TS 102 172 with
location (loc), and the public KEY (eh domainkey?), ...

I see ENUM domains coming up with 20 and more entries.

Most of this information could be put into vcard

If not, we may consider one or two general pointers
containing all the required information, e.g.
publicinfo and privateinfo and define the template

This would allow on one hand sceened access with policies
and on the other hand more flexibility in data provisioning

Thoughts?

Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:03:47 -0500

> could be replaced by using vcard

Well a reminder that the vcard draft we reviewed in Vancouver is a WG 
item we have not as yet seen another version. Minutes attached. I 
certainly thought this was a "good idea" tm.

I agree many of these parameters could be included in a vcard and indeed 
should but I dont see why we should restrict individual application 
submissions.

But as usual I could be wrong.

IANA Registration for ENUMservice vCard  10-Min
===============================================

	Author(s)	: A. Mayrhofer, D. Lindner
	Filename	: draft-mayrhofer-enum-vcard-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2005-10-5
	
  This memo registers the ENUMservice "vCard" using the URI schemes 
http" and "https" according to the IANA ENUMservice registration process 
described in RFC3671.  This ENUMservice is to be used to refer from an 
ENUM domain name to the vCard of the entity using the  corresponding 
E.164 number.

   Clients may use information gathered from those vCards before, during 
or after inbound or outbound communication takes place.  For example, a 
callee might be presented with the name and association of the caller 
before he picks up the call.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mayrhofer-enum-vcard-00.txt

DISCUSSION:

ENUMservice for refering from phone numbers to URIs containing vCard.
Came from questions from service providers which wanted to publish.
Usage scenario: query for number, receive vCard URI, fetch vCard.

No subtypes defined right now, two URI schemes (http and https) proposed 
now.

Feedback received about subtypes: Should subtypes reflect protocol?

Faltstrom (as WG member): Privacy constriants, and granularity
limits of HTTP. vCards could be synthesized based on authentication.
HTTP not optimal for detailed access constraints. A bit nervous that 
usage of http is too quick. Recommend at least subtyping because good WP 
systems should not use http, but could be started
with http now. Suggestion is to check HTTP, LDAP, IRIS

Shockey: Want to see granularity on access control as well.

Schiefner: Would like to see this a WG item, looking at moving that forward.

Levi ??: vCards heavily used in XMPP. Should look at this. Not sure if
granularity is what people expect from publishing a vCard.

Jimmy ??: Suggestions to granularity on access controls could be out of
scope of the ENUM WG?

Mayrhofer: Could simply say "we make the reference, what behind this is
out of scope for ENUM".

Faltstrom: Clarification on privacy needed.

Baskin: Privacy needs to be highlighted each time. However, "ENUM" does
not the vCard, ENUM just returns a reference. It's done after the lookup.

Faltstrom: Agreed, need to be subtyped to differentiated.

??: There is a draft about vCard over WebDAV in the calendaring for
WebDAV. draft-debut-carddav?

Schwartz: Issues on identifying when using HTTP.

WG ACTION: Based on a hum of the WG, consensus for adopting this as WG item.

-- 

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<