Subject: Re: [Enum] CNAM on further reflection

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:54:34 +0100

(Sorry, but I have, even though I am a co-chair of this group, had  
just too much to do in my day-job(s) lately...but I hope to be on  
board again from now. Having me leaving IAB at the next IETF will  
make things easier for me.)

Two reflections on the cnam draft:

- Be careful when talking about storing data in the DNS. There is a  
big difference between storing the data itself in DNS, and storing a  
URI (or subset thereof) in the DNS that refer the querying party to  
where the data is. This is for example the preferred solution when  
authentication and authorization is needed.

- Even if old(er) standards only can handle ASCII characters, I don't  
see any reason the new standards we create should not handle a larger  
repertoire of characters, so we can handle names of people all over  
the world and not only in a subset thereof.

      Patrik

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum