Subject: Re: [Enum] Re: URI Portability

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:41:47 +0100

James,

>I must be missing something.  As far as I know, individually-owned 
>or company-owned domain names ARE portable.  I can have any service 
>provider run a web server for my domain.  I can have a separate 
>provider handle my email.  I can have lots of providers handle lots 
>of different services for me, and I can switch any particular 
>service from any provider to any other at any time.   

>What kind of portability isn't already implemented?  What portability 
>functions are you looking for that aren't available today? 
 
you can port jamesbaskin.com and Yahoo can port yahoo.com to any provider,
but you cannot port [email-masked] independently to a different
service provider. So if you leave yahoo.com, you loose [email-masked]
 
Richard

Jim 

========================== 
Richard Stastny wrote: 

IMHO "portability" of domains held by individuals or companies
must be implemented, but not portability within domains held
by an ISP or VoIP SP such as yahoo.com or verizon.net

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:15:05 +0100

> service provider. So if you leave yahoo.com, you loose  

The real problem is that if you have [email-masked] and  
[email-masked], then those two adresses can not be ported or moved  
between organisations INDEPENDENTLY from each other.

So, sure, [email-masked] can be moved to some other provider,  
but you will get all other @yahoo.com addresses with you.

    Patrik