Subject: RE: [Enum] please post issues from yesterdays session

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:55:43 -0500

> > 2.  Must revisit the section on Distribution of Data to 
> note that it 
> > may or may not be done on a private basis.  This will be primarily 
> > determined based on regulatory requirements in a particular 
> country.  
> > I have not determined the exact wording of this yet.
> 
> even in the absence of any regulatory requirement, the LNP 
> club itself might decide to not disclose this data to the 
> public. Should that be reflected in your I-D, too - as a sort 
> of fallback?

I think you are correct.  Here is the text of that section of the
document.  I have included IN CAPS the text I was considering adding to
address this.  Let me know what you think.

3. Distribution of Data

The distribution of number portability data is often highly restricted
either by contract or regulation of a National Regulatory Authority
(NRA).

The NAPTR records described herein probably would not be part of the
e164.arpa DNS tree.  Distribution of this NAPTR data would be either (a)
on a private basis (within a service provider's internal network, or on
a private basis between one or more parties using a variety of security
mechanisms to prohibit general public access), (b) openly available on a
national basis according to national regulatory policy, OR (C)
DISTRIBUTED BY THE RELEVANT NUMBER PORTABILITY ORGANIZATION OR OTHER
INDUSTRY ORGANIZATION. 

The authors believe that it is more likely that these records will be
distributed on a purely private basis.  If such data was distributed
nationally, the national telephone numbering authority, or some other
regulatory body OR NUMBERING ORGANIZATION, may have jurisdiction.  Such
a body may choose to restrict distribution of the data in such a way
that it may not pass over that country's national borders.  How number
portability data is collected and distributed is out of scope of this
document.

Thanks
Jason Livingood

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Carsten Schiefner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:20:54 +0100

Jason,

> address this.  Let me know what you think.

how about:

===

3. Distribution of Data

The distribution of number portability data is often highly restricted 
either by contract or regulation of a National Regulatory Authority 
(NRA), THEREFORE NAPTR records described herein MAY OR MAY not be part 
of the e164.arpa DNS tree.

Distribution of this NAPTR data would be either (a) on a private basis 
(within a service provider's internal network, or on a private basis 
between one or more parties using a variety of security mechanisms to 
prohibit general public access), (b) openly available, BUT MAYBE on a 
national basis ONLY according to national regulatory policy, OR (C) 
DISTRIBUTED BY THE RELEVANT NUMBER PORTABILITY ORGANIZATION OR OTHER 
INDUSTRY ORGANIZATION.

===

Best,

	Carsten