Subject: RE: [Enum] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sajitha-enum-api-00.txt]

From: "sajitha" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:02:44 +0530

I can point out one example where API's are worked upon in IETF. The Basic
Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6, RFC 3493. These APIs have later
undergone the X/Open standardization and is now part of Unix200x
specification. 

-Sajitha

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Richard Shockey
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 10:05 PM
To: Jim Reid
Cc: [email-masked]; Otmar Lendl
Subject: Re: [Enum] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sajitha-enum-api-00.txt]

> 
> These parameters only affect the stub resolver. So they're not much  
> help if the recursive server that gets these queries is playing by  
> different rules.
> 
>> IMHO a feature-complete ENUM API should also contain functions to:
>>
>>     * query more than one tree in parallel
>>     * asynchronous operation
>>
>> As I'm doing some programming on the Asterisk ENUM code again I would
>> really appreciate a decent API for ENUM lookups to rely on.
> 
> 
> Indeed. But who can develop this API and steer it through the likes  of 
> X/Open or IEEE?

This is the question I have for this document.

Are API's an appropriate standardization task for the IETF?

IMHO no. but I'd like some one to convince me otherwise or show me other 
examples of API's in the IETF along with the underlying justification 
and problem statement as to why the work should be done here.

-- 

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:57:37 +0000

sajitha said:
> Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6, RFC 3493.

That's the ones. Unfortunately they were written by someone who didn't
properly understand the C Standard.

> These APIs have later

And caused problems in doing so.

[I don't have time to work through the details; it'll be in the X/Open
archives somewhere.]

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
Thus plc            |                            |