Subject: [Enum] draft-haberler-carrier-enum-01

From: "Cartwright, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:41:45 -0500

A couple follow up questions on this doc:

1) Has a decision been made on whether Carrier/Infra ENUM will be
specificed as a new DDDS Application or an extension to the existing
ENUM DDDS Application defined by 3761, or something else entirely?  The
BLR mechanism in draft-haberler-carrier-enum-01 necessitates either a
change to the existing First Well Known Rule defined in 3761 (to account
for the BLR algorithm), or the creation of a separate DDDS app with its
own First Well Known Rule.  The First Well Known Rule in a DDDS
application is supposed to specify the algorithm by which the first
Database Key to look up (a domain name in ENUM's case) is constructed.

I think a couple operative drivers here are:

a) If Infra ENUM is added into 3761 there may be, depending on how the
new spec is worded, ramifications on what can accurately be called an
ENUM resolver or an ENUM application.

b) If a separate DDDS application is created then the "ENUM Services"
specifications may need to be re-visited or re-categorized as applying
to both DDDS applications.

2) It this sentence in the third paragraph of part 4 speaking to the
first "Case" or the second "Case"?

"This approach, putting aside significant process and timing concerns,
appears to be an easier to manage long-term approach to tree naming."

Thanks.

-- 

| Ken Cartwright | Work: [email-masked] | Tel: +1 703 948 4339

|                       | Home: [email-masked]    | Fax: +1 703
948 4331

|                       |
| Mobile: +1 703 307 6172

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:04:44 -0500

Cartwright, Kenneth wrote:
> ENUM DDDS Application defined by 3761, or something else entirely? 

No decision has been made. There needs to be a requirements document first.

-- 

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<