Subject: [Enum] ENUM WG RECHARTER : My initial proposal

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:39:42 -0400

Comments are welcome.

###############

The ENUM working group has defined a DNS-based architecture and protocol 
[RFC 3761] by which an E.164 number, as defined in ITU Recommendation 
E.164, can be expressed as a Fully Qualified Domain Name in a specific 
Internet Infrastructure domain defined for this purpose (e164.arpa).

Background:

E.164 numbers are globally unique, language independent identifiers for 
resources on Public Telecommunication Networks that can support many 
different services and protocols. There is an emerging desire for 
network operators to utilize aspects of RFC 3761 to discover points of 
interconnection necessary to terminate communications sessions 
identified by a E164 number,in addition to identifying end point 
protocols and services.

Working Group Revised Goals and Scope:

1. The working group will update RFC 3761 and advance to Draft Standard.

2. The working group will examine and document the use of RFC 3761 to 
facilitate VoIP network interconnection. The Working group will 
coordinate its activities with other IETF working groups, existing or to 
be chartered, that are investigating elements of VoIP network peering.

3. The working group will continue examine and document various aspects 
of ENUM administrative and /or operational procedures irrespective of 
whether e164.arpa domain is used.

4. The working group will also examine the use of RFC 3761 technology 
for describing various PSTN signaling data.

5. The Working Group will continue to maintain appropriate contact and 
liaison with other standards bodies and groups, specifically ITU-T SG2, 
  to provide technical or educational information as needed, such as the 
appropriate use of DNS.  In addition the Working Group will continue to 
encourage the exchange of technical information within the emerging 
global ENUM community as well as documentation on practical experiences 
with implementations, alternate technology uses and the administration 
and provisioning of RFC 3761.

-- 

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:39:29 -0400

Rich:
Good start. I offer in-line below some suggestions and things to think
about.

Penn 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Richard Shockey
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:40 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Enum] ENUM WG RECHARTER : My initial proposal

Comments are welcome.

###############

Background:

>>> while VoIP is clearly the driver at this point shouldn't scope
include
>>> interconnection for any E.164 addressed service

>>> I assume this is the NP data, which is signaled, but I'd prefer a
more expansive wording:
>>> "use of RFC 3761 technology for making available other information
about E.164 numbers
>>> needed by carriers, including information for PSTN call routing and
signaling."

appropriate use of DNS. 
>>> this sounds a little one-way. How about adding "and address, as
needed,
>>> any issues relating to the E.164 numbering plan."
 In addition the Working Group will continue to 

--