Subject: [Enum] Validation of Carriers

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:17:19 +0200

Hi all,

The basic question here is validation of carriers

I am not sure if this is a problem at all in Carrier ENUM

In User ENUM validation this is an issue to keep ENUM delegations
in sync with the existing assignment of E.164 on the PSTN.

It is common practice in all ENUM trials that the optimal validation 
method is the one where the carrier hosting the number is validating 
the user request. All other methods are considered clumsy workarounds
if the carrier is not co-operating.

Nobody has ever raised the issue how the carrier is validated in the
first place.

Q1. Why should a carrier not be trusted in Carrier ENUM in the first
place also?

Q2. What is the incentive why a carrier should enter wrong data on
purpose? and 

Q3. What is the threat if a carrier enters data wrongly
erroneously?

Ad Q2 may only happen if there are termination charges and a carrier
may hijack calls to charge higher termination charges than he has to
pay to finally deliver the call (arbitrage). National regulation
may not allow this and provide sanctions.

Ad Q3: This may happen, but will immediately be detected by the carrier
itself if he receives the first call to this number and not serving it,
or it may be detected by the registry if the real serving carrier wants
to enter his data.

IMHO these problems can be solved easily by a code of practice

Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:28:41 -0400

Stastny Richard wrote:

>IMHO these problems can be solved easily by a code of practice.
>  
>

Well I would go much further than a simple code of practice  ...this 
should be a function of the contract between Carrier ENUM Registry and 
Carrier ENUM Registrar (aka the carriers themselves). In the case of LNP 
in North America there is an extensive contract between the carriers and 
the NPAC which defines the terms and conditions for use of data and 
spells out in some detail what are the policies and underlying dispute 
resolution procedures are.

In practice it works remarkably well with little or no problem.

-- 

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or 
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<