Subject: [Enum] ENUM WG RECHARTER : My initial proposal V.01

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:18:28 -0400

Penn ...I like it ! How does this sound?

###############

The ENUM working group has defined a DNS-based architecture and protocol
[RFC 3761] by which an E.164 number, as defined in ITU Recommendation
E.164, can be expressed as a Fully Qualified Domain Name in a specific
Internet Infrastructure domain defined for this purpose (e164.arpa).

Background:

E.164 numbers are globally unique, language independent identifiers for
resources on Public Telecommunication Networks that can support many
different services and protocols. There is an emerging desire for
network operators to utilize aspects of RFC 3761 to discover points of
interconnection necessary to terminate communications sessions
identified by a E164 number,in addition to identifying end point
protocols and services.

Working Group Revised Goals and Scope:

1. The working group will update RFC 3761 and advance to Draft Standard.

2. The working group will examine and document the use of RFC 3761 to
facilitate network interconnection for services using E.164 addressing. 
The Working group will coordinate its activities with other IETF working 
groups, existing or to be chartered, that are investigating elements of 
VoIP or other service network peering that typically use E.164 addressing.

3. The working group will continue examine and document various aspects
of ENUM administrative and /or operational procedures irrespective of
whether e164.arpa domain is used.

4. The working group will also examine the use of RFC 3761 technology
for defining other information about services addressed by E.164 
numbers, for example PSTN call routing and signaling data.

5. The Working Group will continue to maintain appropriate contact and
liaison with other standards bodies and groups, specifically ITU-T SG2,
to provide technical or educational information and address, as needed, 
issues related to the use of the E.164 numbering plan for services on IP 
networks.  In addition the Working Group will continue to encourage the 
exchange of technical information within the emerging global ENUM 
community as well as documentation on practical experiences with 
implementations, alternate technology uses and the administration and 
provisioning of RFC 3761.

-- 

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum