Subject: [Enum] How to provision wildcard NAPTRs using RFC4114?

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:16:59 +0200

All,

i'm thinking about options we have regarding provisioning of "carrier" ENUM. 
  Since holding NAPTR records in the registry itself might be one of the 
options i'm looking at RFC4114, which specifies how to include NAPTR details 
in EPP requests.

Since we have an open numbering plan here in +43-land (which means that the 
length of a number cannot be derived from the number itself, and may even 
vary over time when a user decides to change his private numbering plan ;) 
one of the options to "catch" all extensions of a certain base number would 
be to use a wildcard NAPTR.

However, my impression from RFC4114 is that there's no defined way of 
transporting wildcard NAPTRs. So, i came up with the following options 
(namespaces taken from EPP stock RFCs):

- add an "*" to the <domain:name> tag: the "eppcom:labelType" would allow 
this (eg. "*.3.4.5.6.6.e164.arpa")

- add an additional "label" tag to each <e164:naptr> element - would break 
RFC4114, and would probably be confusing since labels could contain other 
stuff as well (eg. wildcard and non-wildcard labels). Would probably be a 
nightmare to implement registry-wise.

- and another extension in addition to the RFC4114 extension, which contains 
just the neccessary "label" tag.

I'd appreciate any comments on that issue - i expect other countries to run 
into this problem as well (hi, bernie ;)

cheers

alex

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:47:16 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Alexander Mayrhofer
> Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 8:17 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Enum] How to provision wildcard NAPTRs using RFC4114?
> 
> All,
> 

That's not a problem; the schema allows it now.

> just the neccessary "label" tag.

I don't understand the additional info you're trying to convey.  Can you
give me an example?  If it's just a wildcard label, you can do that
as-is.

-Scott-