Subject: Re: [Enum] A proposal for Carrier ENUM

From: "Lupton, Ronan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:44:17 +0100

Klaus, Rick, Richard, 

Maybe NRAs don't have detailed numbering data, for the purposes of daily
admin. 

But at least they will have administrative or strategic visibility and
statistics on national porting activities and know who donors and recipients
of numbers are, exactly.

In the EU 25 countries the European New Electronic Communications Regulatory
Framework directive and Universal Service directives mandate the NRA
ownership of national numbering resources along with the national
administrations.

Provisions are in built to the USO directive recitals 40 to 42 and Article
30 is where you can find the suite of porting reference data. 

Note the consumer aspects and pro competitive aspects of same.

>From a PSTN point of view, both databases and onward routing can
unilaterally or co-exist. These decisions are historically entrenched in
administration matters including numbering policy and costs of
implementation at a national, fixed line and mobile/GSM level.

For ENUM and its origins at the beginning, my understanding is that if was
derived in order to assist with Number and address portability in the
Swedish market.

This discussion might assist in a numbering administration and spectrum tidy
up. E.g. ENUM early days.

I can send these directives out for your perusal if you like.

Ronan Lupton

MCI International Regulatory Affairs.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue Oct 11 14:57:23 2005
Subject: RE: [Enum] A proposal for Carrier ENUM

In most CEPT countries MNP is implemented using centralised NP
databases. These are typically managed by a consortia of network
operators, so NRAs may not have any information about ported numbers.
Well, I think that this fact is not very important.

At least also Malta and Cyprus has distributed MNP databases, but does
this mean that the validation information is not available or is it
possible to gather the required data from multiple databases maintained
by different operators?

regards,

- Klaus -

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Otmar Lendl
Sent: 11. lokakuuta 2005 16:41
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Enum] A proposal for Carrier ENUM

On 2005/10/11 15:10, "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>                                            Maybe some of those whose 
> countries use "onward routing" etc. can confirm whether there is any 
> centralized database outside of the network detailing those 
> arrangements.

Austria uses onward routing for fixed line NP. There is no centralized
DB which shows which number has been ported to whom.

The NRA only keeps tabs on what number have been ported, but this DB
does not include the information necessary to route calls.

/ol
--
< Otmar Lendl ([email-masked]) | nic.at Systems Engineer >

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:09:00 -0400

Lupton, Ronan wrote:

Klaus, Rick, Richard,

Maybe NRAs don't have detailed numbering data, for
the purposes of daily admin.

But at least they will have administrative or
strategic visibility and statistics on national porting activities and
know who donors and recipients of numbers are, exactly.

In the EU 25 countries the European New Electronic
Communications Regulatory Framework directive and Universal Service
directives mandate the NRA ownership of national numbering resources
along with the national administrations.

Provisions are in built to the USO directive
recitals 40 to 42 and Article 30 is where you can find the suite of
porting reference data.

But without Thick Registries of data NP is very difficult to maintain
or adminster. There is a wide body of experience on this matter  in the
US and Canada as you well know. The centralized database system here
works, works well and has proven to have enormous advantages to
carriers that they did not immediately realize such as fast technology
upgrading and "network grooming" of switch resources. The EU needs to
reckgonize this ..especially now with emerging ENUM adminstrations.

Note the consumer aspects and pro competitive
aspects of same.

From a PSTN point of view, both databases and
onward routing can unilaterally or co-exist. These decisions are
historically entrenched in administration matters including numbering
policy and costs of implementation at a national, fixed line and
mobile/GSM level.

Well ..its really a cost issue first ..some one has to pay for
centralized databases. Second incumbents do not like LNP, never have
and never will. NRA's simply have to put their foot down and demand
compliance.

For ENUM and its origins at the beginning, my
understanding is that if was derived in order to assist with Number and
address portability in the Swedish market.

Yes ..that was Patrik's first thought on the matter ....long long ago.

This discussion might assist in a numbering
administration and spectrum tidy up. E.g. ENUM early days.

I can send these directives out for your perusal if
you like.

URL's might be useful here ...but again I'm emphasizing the critical
requirement for Thick ENUM Registries irrespective of its use in Public
or Carrier only environments.

Build it right the first time and you save the industry and the
regulators huge headache's in the future.

This, of course, leads to one of my favorite topics which is
standardized provisioning interfaces to the ENUM registries.

Nothing will work if you cant get the data into the ENUM Registry in
the first place.

Ronan Lupton

--

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<