Subject: RE: [Enum] My personal definitions

From: "Nieminen Klaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:41:08 +0300

Michael,

>> Carrier: A service provider authorized to issue E.164 numbers for the
provisioning of PSTN service under the 
>> authority of a National Regulatory Authority (NRA).
>
> The more interesting case are those numbers which are directly
allocated to users, like corporate network 
> numbers in Austria (05xxxy) or 800 numbers. As a free-floating number
with no carrier to route it is pretty 
> useless, users still turn around and contract a carrier to route it.
That entity becomes the carrier-of-record, 
> albeit in a different way.
>
> The Shockey Carrier definition still holds in both cases.

Does it hold? In my understanding a carrier could provide PSTN
interconnection without being authorized to issue E.164 numbers? I have
two examples:

1. A service provider does not issue E.164 numbers, because users are
only allowed to port their existing numbers into the service
2. NRA starts issuing ENUM-only numbers directly to users 

I think Michael's point of view seems to be reasonable, but should we
then modify the carrier definition? My own suggestion:

Carrier: A service provider providing PTSN access to the user.

regards,

- Klaus -

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Michael Haberler
Sent: 9. lokakuuta 2005 9:38
To: Peter Williams; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Enum] My personal definitions

At 03:31 09.10.2005, Peter Williams wrote:

>We have learned that, for open numbering plans in certain portions of 
>the Internet that certain PBX operators can "issue" E.164 numbers, 
>without the authority of NRAs - even though the root naming context 
>which they control may have been authorized, and authorized to issue 
>E.164 numbers to PBX terminals or switches.

Allocating a variable-length DDI extension suffixed to a PBX pilot
number IMO does not constitute a "number allocation process" and
consequently I dont think this process makes a PBX owner a "carrier" 
for what it's worth. The pilot number still trickles down the usual
process NRA->Carrier->PBX owner, at least for geographic numbers over
here.

The more interesting case are those numbers which are directly allocated
to users, like corporate network numbers in Austria
(05xxxy) or 800 numbers. As a free-floating number with no carrier to
route it is pretty useless, users still turn around and contract a
carrier to route it. That entity becomes the carrier-of-record, albeit
in a different way.

The Shockey Carrier definition still holds in both cases.

I do expect though that the distinction between carriers and users will
blur over time, just as happend on the Internet where at some point in
time a primary attribute of an ISP was "owns an AS number" 
(that lost its distinguishing factor), and it might be useful to think
about likely transition scenarios beforehand.

-Michael

>Under your definition, this class of operator is not a "Carrier", 
>despite the numbers that they issue being PSTN routable, and callable.
>
>Now, the IETF question: is Carrier ENUM standard to address such 
>operators, or only Big-C Carriers?
>
>My expectation was that IETF standards pertain to any operator, acting 
>in the "capacity" of a carrier - whether or not it is regulatedas a Big

>C Carrier. Compliance to our technical standards does not imply that 
>one is a part of some national regulatory
>regime: merely that protocols and procedures are correct.
>
>Now, if NRA-authorized Carriers are prevented - by national 
>regulatotion - from peering with non-NRA authorized Carriers, that is a

>proper  matter for regulators (tho. not IETF, or IAB, or US govt 
>sponsorship of IAB members. or thier regulatory bodies (ICANN etc)_). 
>The technical standards must not enforce any particular regulatory 
>model, e.g. that of the US govt policy. There should, however, be good 
>evidence that they support the commonest regulatory models, obviously, 
>as a metric of technical adequacy.
>
>If we consider the ISO tradition on this matter, X.500 addressed the 
>technical standards on a distributed name service for public names and 
>address, provisioned by individuals, PRMDs, and ADMDs. The F.500 
>variants address the PTSN model, for ADMD operating under national 
>regulations and licneses. In our Ihistorical ETF tradition, dealing 
>with public addressing policy in the Interent sphere,  we have only 
>ever previous address the X.500 _technology_ protocols: never the F.500

>series regulatory practices designed for regulated "Carriers"
>acting as tariffed ADMDs.
>
>We should be clear in the revised charter, for Carrier ENUM, that the 
>protocols do not enforce any particular model of operational 
>regulation, and that peering regulation (if any) is a matter for 
>national authorities.
>
>
>Peter.
>
>
>>From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
>>To: Antoin Verschuren <[email-masked]>
>>CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>Subject: [Enum] My personal definitions
>>Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:10:28 -0400
>>
>>
>>Peering : The  negotiation of reciprocal  interconnection 
>>arrangements, settlement-free or otherwise, between operationally 
>>independent service providers.
>>
>>Carrier: A service provider authorized to issue E.164 numbers for the 
>>provisioning of PSTN service under the authority of a National 
>>Regulatory Authority (NRA).
>>
>>--
>>
>>
>>Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff NeuStar Inc.
>>46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
>>sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
>>ENUM +87810-13313-31331
>>PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
>>Fax: +1 815.333.1237
>><mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or 
>><mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
>><http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org> 
>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>enum mailing list
>>[email-masked]
>>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>enum mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum