Subject: [Enum] RE: [voipeer] draft-meyer-voipeer-terminology-03.txt

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:05:32 -0500

The term carrier is indeed loaded with meanings, for example:

- AT&T, MCI, SBC, etc. are carriers for the FCC...
- RTP and RTSP are carriers for media on the Internet.

This is a great source of confusion and since we really speak of
applications running on servers or in the endpoints, _applications_ they are
indeed and SIP is defined as an application layer protocol anyway.

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stephen Kingham
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 6:12 PM
To: Livingood, Jason
Cc: David Meyer; Henry Sinnreich; Michael Hammer (mhammer); Pfautz, Penn L,
NEO; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [voipeer] draft-meyer-voipeer-terminology-03.txt

Hi

Jason makes a good point about 'unnecessarily constraining our work by 
defining the group as "Voice"' only.  Like SMS for Cellular Mobiles, we 
should keep in mind that the new technology includes other forms of 
communications.  Jason you mention IM and Chat as possibilities and 
another is presence. 

I think Henry's Application peering is much the same as Jason's 
suggestions and a very good point, but voip peering is still important 
and is the underlying technology.  Solve VoIP peering and we help solve 
the others, provided we keep them in mind that we are trying to solve 
more than just Voice?  Well that is what I learn from Henry's and 
Jason's comments.

The word "Carrier" does have considerable baggage which is encompassing 
(includes VoIP providers) and restricting at the same time (only 
including VoIP providers) all depending on the perspective of the 
reader.  Carrier has a lot of ambiguity in this context but it is an 
easily recogniseable term.  RTCSP seams to be another acronym that is as 
good as any other new acronym, seams okay ;-)!  I think RTC and SP are 
widely recognizable, I would suggest a slight change to make it 
"RTC-SP", or at the extreme risk of including the work Carrier, what 
about "RTC Carrier".

Stephen

Livingood, Jason wrote:

>>>Hint: The carrier definition is hopeless. "The Internet Is The 
>>>Service" (Jon
>>>Peterson) and voice is an application IMHO. Let's go back to the 
>>>layers in the I-D.
>>>      
>>>
>>	Yep. There's no real value add in defining carrier
>>	IMO. Best solution: remove the definition of carrier. 
>>
>>	Dave
>>    
>>
>
>Sounds fine.  But if we did have to include something like this in the
>future, I suggest discarding the term 'carrier' completely as a quaint,
>outdated, and baggage-laden term.  ;-)  (no flames please, I am
>half-joking, half-serious)  I might suggest, as I did before on the
>list, something very broad and inclusive such as Real-Time
>Communications Service Provider (RTCSP).  This could encompass folks
>ranging from SBC and Verizon, to Skype, FWD and Vonage, to Vodafone and
>Telefonica.  But I am not sure we need to concern ourselves with this
>for now based on recent discussion here.
>
>On a related definition, I think the definition of VoIP Service Provider
>in the I-D is fine.  However, in the future, we should consider
>including a definition of a SP that offers more than Voice.  Perhaps we
>are unnecessarily constraining our work by defining the group as "Voice"
>over IP peering, as many apps will begin to evolve such that voice is
>but one component of the real-time communications stream between two or
>more users.  This could voice along with IM/chat and video, looking at
>apps available today.  Then again, there is something to be said for
>constraining the boundaries of the problem we are trying to solve.  If
>we can solve the peering problem for VoIP we can move on and broaden the
>definitions and the problem scope later.
>
>Regards,
>Jason
>
>___________________________________________________________________________
__
>List Archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/voipeer/
>User Tools: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/voipeer.html
>  
>

-- 
Stephen Kingham, MIT, BSc, E&C Cert
Project Manager and Consulting Engineer 
mailto:[email-masked]
Telephone +61 2 6222 3575 (office)
          +61 419 417 471 (mobile)
sip:[email-masked]

Voice and Video over IP
for The Australian Academic Research Network (AARNet)
http://www.aarnet.edu.au

____________________________________________________________________________
_
List Archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/voipeer/
User Tools: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/voipeer.html

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum