Subject: [Enum] [Fwd: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area]

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:16:10 -0400

FYI ... for those of you who do not get the Announce List

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:

Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI)
Area

Date:

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:14:15 -0400

From:

IETF Chair <[email-masked]>

To:

IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>

As mentioned in the recent call for NomCom volunteers, the IESG
is considering the creation of a new area, as set out below. We
solicit feedback from the community on the scope of this potential
new area as well as the impact on the IETF's infrastructure and
efficiency of setting up this new area. We need to decide quite
quickly, to fit the NomCom schedule.

Please write to [email-masked], or to [email-masked] if you want
community discussion of your comment. (There's no need
to write to both!)

Brian Carpenter

-----------------

Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area Description

The Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure Area develops protocols
and architectures for delay-sensitive interpersonal communications. Work
in this area serves an emerging industry whose applications and services
include voice and video over IP, instant messaging and presence. These
applications and services are "real-time" in the sense that delay
impedes human participation in the associated systems.

The RAI Area is seeded with existing working groups from the Transport
and Applications Area: SIP, SIPPING, XCON, SIMPLE, GEOPRIV, ECRIT, ENUM,
IPTEL, MEGACO, MMUSIC, IEPREP, SPEECHSC, and SIGTRAN. A good rule of
thumb for the incorporation of new work into RAI, as opposed to
Transport or Applications, is that the work in question has major goals
supporting instant interpersonal communication or its infrastructure.
For example, they can range from applications to help users make
decisions about how best to communicate using presence services, to
session signaling protocols and emergency call routing solutions, to
work on the "layer five" issues for Internet telephony.

Like all areas of the IETF, the RAI Area draws on the work of numerous
other areas, and as such there can be no neat mathematical boundaries
delineating RAI's work from the rest of the IETF. The new area will
allow an existing community within the IETF to solidify its vision and
to benefit from increased institutional support.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

--

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum