Subject: Re: [Enum] A note for the Implementers Draft

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:49:38 +0200

>IMHO this is very very very important... 

agree
 
>I'd like to get a consensus
>from the list on this ... this could be a critical element of the
>Implementers draft .. should support for EDNSO be mandatory?

As Jim pointed out - yes

Richard

________________________________

Von: [email-masked] im Auftrag von Richard Shockey
Gesendet: So 18.09.2005 02:47
An: Jim Reid
Cc: [email-masked]; lconroy; Lawrence Conroy (Lawrence Conroy)
Betreff: Re: [Enum] A note for the Implementers Draft

Jim Reid wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2005, at 11:14, lconroy wrote:
>
>> Personally, I would be happy to make this a MUST (at least for 
>> EDNS0) for all DNS entities that are used for ENUM queries.
>
>
> I agree. The draft should recommend that clients use EDNS0 whenever 
> possible. This is a far better option than having truncated 512-byte 
> UDP responses followed by TCP retries. Any name server that gets lots 
> of queries -- hundreds per second or more -- would not be happy to 
> keep a TCP protocol control block  for each of these "transactions" 
> if they went over TCP.
>
>> IMHO, everyone will need EDNS0 if/when we ever get DNSSEC deployed.
>
>
> This isn't a matter of opinion Lawrence. It's a matter of fact. Apart 
> from explicitly querying for DNSSEC-related RRtypes, DNS clients -- 
> resolving name servers or stub resolvers -- will only get those 
> RRtypes if they indicate that they are DNSSEC-aware. This is done by 
> setting the DO bit in the EDNS0 header: see RFC3225. So a client will 
> not get signed responses without EDNS0.

IMHO this is very very very important... I'd like to get a consensus
from the list on this ... this could be a critical element of the
Implementers draft .. should support for EDNSO be mandatory?

--

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(at)fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile +1 703.593.2683
Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum