Subject: RE: [Enum] Now that carrier enum is seperate, will user enumever be deployed?

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:13:59 -0400

I'll second Michael's  Haberler's view - carrier ENUM may be what
jumpstarts user ENUM, at least in the US. No end user ENUM trial has
shown strong demand, and interestingly, Scott Bradner said at the ENUM
Summit that he never expected ENUM to take off quickly.
Carriers (and some vendors) have been doing the work to get ENUM
delegations and registries in place but it's folly to think that will
continue unless it works for them too.
I'd like to see the two flavors linked somehow under e164.arpa and am
cautiously optimistic, but we'll see...

Penn

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Michael Haberler
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:56 AM
To: Michael Mealling; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Enum] Now that carrier enum is seperate, will user
enumever be deployed?

At 14:28 11.08.2005, Michael Mealling wrote:

>Apologies for missing the discussion but after reading
>draft-haberler-carrier-enum I'm curious whether the discussion got to
>whether or not this would cause user enum to never be deployed in any
>useful level?

at least we do not intend to do that for +43 - both are useful and serve

different purposes

I would conjecture other folks share that thinking (speak up!)

>It would seem that by seperating the two the pressure is
>off of the carriers to implement the rest of the tree?

Unfortunately I fail to detect any significant "pressure on carriers to 
implement User ENUM" in the first place, which is part of the problem -
my 
perception is anything from remote interest to blissful ignorance

What I do see is demand for "Carrier" ENUM which will help to get
e164.arpa 
delegations in place, registries going, and thus serve both purposes. I 
would assume if a country or NPA decides to get going, eventually both 
trees will be available.

-Michael 

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum