Subject: Re: [Enum] Re: [voipeer] Re: [Geopriv] Re: [Simple] tel URIsin commonpolicy

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:48:20 +0200

Inline

	1. The user A normally enters a dialstring, which
	should be signalled with
	a. sip:[email-masked];user=dialstring;phone-context=+1
	(luckily there does not exist a global dialling plan, so always
	>I don't understand this item. A dialstring is exactly that. It's a string of digits that was dialed, but with no meaning.

I normally dial nmeaning ful numbers ;-)
 
>Therefore, there can not be a "context" which implies some knowledge of what the string means (+1 in the above example, >which apparently menas that the string is a North American E.164 number, which, incidentally, it is not).
 
The context in the dialstring should give the context within the number is dialled (basically what your local dialing plan is)
The context +1 means that the number is dialed within the North America, not to which country the number belongs to
sip:[email-masked];user=dialstring;phone-context=+1
 
if the same E.164 number is dialled in Germany, the dialstring would be
sip:[email-masked];user=dialstring;phone-context=+49
 
and if it is dialed from a mobile phone in Austria it could be
sip:[email-masked];user=dialstring;phone-context=+43

Of course the question is valid how the client knows the context. Well, this could be a configuration 
parameter.
 
-richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:10:24 -0400

Richard

There are two situations, a phone that DOES understand a local dialplan, and
a phone that DOES NOT understand a local dial plan.

If the phone DOES understand a local dial plan, then it always sends phone
numbers, and never sends dialstrings.  In such a phone, you always get a
full phone number, including a "+" if it's a global number.

If the phone DOES NOT understand a local dial plan, then it must have a
context, which it has to learn by some sort of provisioning.  While you
COULD have a context called "+1", that is very, very unlikely.  It's more
likely "providerA.com" or even more likely "chicago.providerA.com", but it
could also be "foo".  The provider.com domain needs to understand how to
interpret the dialstring 0114319793321 in the dialplan "foo" to a phone
number.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Stastny Richard
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 5:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Enum] Re: [voipeer] Re: [Geopriv] Re: [Simple] tel
URIsincommonpolicy

Inline

	a.
	>I don't understand this item. A dialstring is exactly that. It's a
string of digits that was dialed, but with no meaning.

>Therefore, there can not be a "context" which implies some knowledge of
what the string means (+1 in the above example, >which apparently menas that
the string is a North American E.164 number, which, incidentally, it is
not).
 
The context in the dialstring should give the context within the number is
dialled (basically what your local dialing plan is)
The context +1 means that the number is dialed within the North America, not
to which country the number belongs to
sip:[email-masked];user=dialstring;phone-context=+1

Of course the question is valid how the client knows the context. Well, this
could be a configuration 
parameter.
 
-richard