Subject: [Enum] Re: [voipeer] Re: [Geopriv] Re: [Simple] tel URIs in common policy

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:02:16 +0200

Henry,
 
I know your position ;-) and I basically agree.
 
>Since the dial plan topic is so complex, even for the experts in the IETF ...
You mean "especially" for the (dial plan) experts in the IETF ;-)

>...how can anyone hope that developers or even more, users will get it right?
User normally had no problems with dial plans since more than 50 years.

>KISS and use only one of the three:

>1. E.164 numbers for the Internet challenged,
>2. SIP URIs for everyone else, or the best of all
>3. Hide any type of CA in the AO and use Presence. Just click to call.

I basically agree.

Anybody using a softclient, be it on a laptop, PDA or softphone
should use the same practice like on mobile phone, entering E.164 numbers 
ONLY (or preferably) in the international format with the leading "+"

Nevertheless, there are still may POTS phones out using terminal adapters
capable only of entering digits aad * and #.

So you MUST use a dialing plan and this can only be a national, local or
private dialing plan, because NO international dialing plan exists.

>I have followed the discussions on dial plans for a while, and it has been
>going on actually for several years. 

Yes, and I tried some two years ago to get a discussion going (ask Carl) to  find
a solution for global VoIP providers and eventually also a common 
practice to dial international numbers e.g. with * or ** as replacement
for +, with no reaction. I am currently thinking to revive and rewrite the draft
http://enum.nic.at/documents/IETF/Internet_Drafts/draft-stastny-enum-numbering-voip-00.txt

cheers

-richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:09:27 -0500

Richard,

>Nevertheless, there are still may POTS phones out using terminal 
>adapters capable only of entering digits and * and #.

A properly designed adapter (like the FXS station in the Intertex IX67) will
support converting a phone number, like +1-972-123-5555 into a URL by
dialing a prefix, for example, dialing 90: 

90-1-972-123-5555 will call out to sip:[email-masked]

The phone adapter will then have sort of a customized phone book.
Since VoIP is still in its initial growth curve, the IETF could give such
indications for SIP-PSTN adapters to support PSTN number translation to SIP
URIs.

In this way we can keep our dear old phones and the beloved phone numbers 
:-) but will relieve SIP based calling of supporting dial plans that are an
eternal discussion tema at the IETF.

Will this work?

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stastny Richard
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:02 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [voipeer] Re: [Geopriv] Re: [Simple] tel URIs in common policy

Henry,

I basically agree.

>going on actually for several years. 

Yes, and I tried some two years ago to get a discussion going (ask Carl) to
find
a solution for global VoIP providers and eventually also a common 
practice to dial international numbers e.g. with * or ** as replacement
for +, with no reaction. I am currently thinking to revive and rewrite the
draft
http://enum.nic.at/documents/IETF/Internet_Drafts/draft-stastny-enum-numberi
ng-voip-00.txt

cheers

-richard

____________________________________________________________________________
_
List Archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/voipeer/
User Tools: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/voipeer.html