Subject: Re: Definitions of "Carrier ENUM" was:[Enum] What is "carrier ENUM"?

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:09:05 -0400

Hi all,
 
before we start discussing requirements, I will try to 
give defintions of User and Carrier ENUM. The definitions
are somewhat related to the dicussion on VoIP peering:
 
For discussion:
 
User ENUM in e164.arpa allows end-users to link either 
existing E.164 phone numbers or phone numbers assigned 
specificly for this purpose to applications reachable via URIs 
on the Internet. The decision to request the domain associated 
to the E.164 number (opt-in) and to fill the domain with 
ressource records of choice is with the end-user. If an existing 
E.164 number is used, the end-user must prove the right to 
use this number with the request of the associated domain.

Carriers use E.164 numbers currently as their main naming 
and routing vehicle. Carrier ENUM in e164.arpa or another 
public available tree allows Carriers to link Internet based 
resources such as URIs to E.164 numbers (Note: this is the 
other way round then User ENUM). This allows Carrier in 
addition to the interconnect via the PSTN (or exclusively) to 
peer via IP-based protocols. Carriers may announce all E.164 
numbers or number ranges they host, regardless if the final 
end-user device is on the Internet, on IP-based closed NGNs 
or on the PSTN, provided an access (e.g. SBC or gateway) to 
the destination carriers network is available on the Internet. 
There is also no guarantie for the originating carrier querying 
Carrier ENUM that he is able to access the ingress network 
element of the destination carriers network. Additional peering 
and accounting agreements requiring authentication may be 
necessary. The access provided may also be to a shared 
network of a group of carriers, resolving the final destination 
network within the shared network.
 
The usage of ENUM within a carriers network or within shared 
networks in private ENUM trees is out of scope.
 
A virtual VoIP provider on the Internet may provide his end-users 
access to User ENUM and at the same time also may access 
Carrier ENUM, provided he has peering agreements with other 
Carriers. He may also populate Carrier ENUM with the numbers 
he is hosting. It is at his discretion if he provides other Carriers 
access to the users holding this numbers with or without special 
peering agreement.
 
Richard

________________________________

Von: enum-bounces at ietf.org im Auftrag von Patrik Fältström
Gesendet: Di 05.07.2005 16:30
An: 'enum at ietf.org' ENUM
Betreff: [Enum] What is "carrier ENUM"?

I think we have to take a step back and have a look at the 
requirements. Various people have listed their favorite requirements, 
and I thank you all for that. We have also seen many requirements in 
the documents made known to this wg.

But, to be able to move forward, I would like to have someone taking 
a step forward agreeing to be the writer of a "carrier enum 
requirements" document.

This doesn't have to be (but might be) as formal as one internet 
draft at the end of the day.

I just want to see all requirements being listed (or as many as we 
might come up with) WITHOUT discussing each one of them immediately.

So, please, can I get:

1) A person that agree on writing down the requirements

2) People sending requirements to this list, or the person when that 
person exists

3) People NOT arguing how stupid they think a requirement is before 
we open that discussion

Example of requirements might be (these are just examples):

1. Two VoIP providers want to do "VoIP peering" and to each other 
announce the E.164 numbers each have, and for each announce what 
ingress point the originating provider should use.

2. A carrier that think he is "responsible" for one E.164 number 
don't want to give up control over the DNS for the NAPTR for that 
number.

3. A carrier want to use ENUM, but the user(s) have not opt:ed in to 
the use of it.

It was the intention the first more look like a scenario than a 
requirement. This is why I want someone that have time to look and 
try to find what the actual requirements are...

     paf

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum