Subject: Re: [Enum] A shameless plug for my new job.

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:00:17 -0400

>I believe its important and ultimately relevant to what the ENUM WG
>wants to accomplish over time.

Hm?
 
I always thought ENUM was for DIRECT peering between PBX
Why do I need a suddenly  a SIP Service provider in between?
 
Just for my information, some other minor questions:
 
How does this relate to the work of SIPConnect?
 
>In this respect, the PBX is to
>be viewed logically as a single SIP user agent for the purposes of the
>interface specification.
 
So it is a B2BUA?

I miss the 3-letter word  SBC in your text ;-)

BTW, what is the opinion of Henry to the scope of this group?
 
regards
 
-richard

________________________________

Von: enum-bounces at ietf.org im Auftrag von Richard Shockey
Gesendet: Do 21.07.2005 03:38
An: enum at ietf.org
Betreff: [Enum] A shameless plug for my new job.

NO I have not left NeuStar.

For quite some time I've been extremely interested in technical issues
surrounding how IP-PBX's and Service Provider can interconnect.

The SIP Forum

http://www.sipforum.com/

has established a working group charged with:

This task group will produce one or more SIP Forum recommendations that
define a common set of implementation rules for implementers who desire
to interface an IP PBX with a SIP-enabled service provider. The
recommendation(s) will specify which standards must be supported,
provide precise guidance in the areas where the standards leave multiple
options, supplement functionality gaps in existing protocols, and
identify a baseline set of features that should be common to an IP PBX
to service provider interface. Such guidelines will not preclude the
implementation of additional SIP functionality and primitives that do
not conflict with the common implementation rules of the recommendation(s).

For purposes of this task group a SIP-enabled IP PBX is defined as a
private, multi-user communications system that supports a
clearly-defined baseline set of SIP standards along with other
(optional) protocols. At a high level, the interface to the service
provider utilizes a combination of SIP signaling and media transport
using RTP. The interface to end-users of the IP PBX can be SIP or any
other protocol capable of establishing a voice session (such as SCCP,
H.323, directly connected analog "black phone", etc.) While vendor
implementation choices vary (i.e. the PBX may be comprised of multiple
servers and SIP endpoints), the SIP signaling exchanged with a service
provider must be traceable to a single account identity, which may be a
separate identity from users of the PBX. In this respect, the PBX is to
be viewed logically as a single SIP user agent for the purposes of the
interface specification. This does not preclude, however, the capability
for media to be exchanged directly between the service provider and
PBX-controlled IP endpoints such as IP phones and media terminal adaptors.

##########

I will be chairing this effort.

I believe its important and ultimately relevant to what the ENUM WG
wants to accomplish over time.

The reason the SIP Forum is dealing with this issue is that SIPPING
determined that such an activity is out of scope for an IETF working
group and better handled in a industry working forum.

###########

This preliminary charter will change but I believe it is important work
that may of you may be interested in. Information on the WG list is
avaiable below. Particpitation in this WG will be under the same general
terms and conditions that the ITEF operates under though the SIP Forum
Intellectual policy has yet to be firmly estabilshed.

Send mail to: techwg at sipforum.org
Unsubscribe or edit options at:  http://sipforum.org/mailman/listinfo/techwg

--

Richard Shockey, Director - Member of Technical Staff
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141 at fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1
815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:14:39 -0400

Stastny Richard wrote:

Hm?

Well again this topic is rather orthogonal to ENUM but obviously for a 
considerable time most endpoints will continue to be on the PSTN and 
many enterprises etc would like to trunk their calls via sip directly to 
a SP for PSTN termination..

It is the formal continuation of the SIPConnect work Its the SIP 
trunking issue.

So it is a B2BUA?

not necessiarily

it was deliberate :-)

--

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:20:25 -0400

>BTW, what is the opinion of Henry to the scope of this group?

I agree with Richard Stastny that no carrier is required for IP PBX IP-IP
interconnect, but a _community of cooperating registrars_ is necessary. 

The scope of the WG could well be working all this out.

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Stastny Richard [mailto:Richard.Stastny at oefeg.at] 
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:03 PM
To: Richard Shockey; enum at ietf.org; henry at sinnreich.net
Subject: Re: [Enum] A shameless plug for my new job.

Hm?

 

 
regards
 
-richard

The SIP Forum

http://www.sipforum.com/

##########

###########

--