Subject: RE: Death to whois! (was Re: [Enum] E.164 communicationassumptions/requirements)

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, NEO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:23:35 -0400

Bernie:
The US authorities have yet to formally set any requirements in detail
except to offer a set of principles, including protection of user
privacy, that must be met before the USG would request delegation of
1.e164.arpa. With this in mind the US ENUM Forum has proposed and the CC
1 ENUM LLC adopted the view that a normal whois is inappropriate for
ENUM. Instead, the plan is to do something called "contactinfo", which,
unless the number assignee specifically chose to  make their contact
information available (it's been pointed out some business might want to
do so), would not. Instead, contact info of the Registrar would be
provided and the Registrar would be expected to act as a pass thru to
get  info to the assignee or appropriate technical contact (e.g. the
appropriate Tier 2 provider) in the case of troubleshooting or other
legitimate need. 
The thick registry model is planned and would contain number assignee
info but this would not be generally available.
Presumably law enforcement could get this upon presentation of proper
court authorization.

Penn

-----Original Message-----
From: enum-bounces at ietf.org [mailto:enum-bounces at ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Bernie Hoeneisen
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 8:06 AM
To: enum at ietf.org
Subject: Re: Death to whois! (was Re: [Enum] E.164
communicationassumptions/requirements)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Richard Shockey wrote:

> There may be all sorts of requirements from regulatory authorities for
which 
> a ENUM Contact-Database based on ..IRIS perhaps will be useful. In
fact the 
> US ENUM forum is going to specify the use if IRIS-EREG in its
architecture. 
> Which is one reason I want to bring the latest version to Last Call
ASAP.

What kind of requirements have been set by the US authoities?

Is this an IRIS service which can be accessed by everybody,
or can only a restricted user group access such data,
e.g. law enforcement staff?

cheers,
  Bernie

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum