Subject: Re: [Enum] Horizontal vs Vertical - not just carriers

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 04:20:08 -0400

Ray wrote:
>Lets keep sight of their requirements (assumed to be still current)

One reason for draft-haberler-carrier-enum-00

http://www.enum.at/ietf/draft-haberler-carrier-enum-00.txt 
http://www.enum.at/ietf/draft-haberler-carrier-enum-00.html 

is to leave User ENUM as defined in RFC3761 completely untouched.
So we kept sight of these requirements

The argument was that if carriers want to use the ressource
in e814.arpa also, fine, but they have also to take any additional
burden,

-richard

________________________________

Von: Ray Anderson [mailto:ray at bango.net]
Gesendet: Sa 09.07.2005 07:27
An: Michael Hammer (mhammer); Stastny Richard; Patrik Faltstrom (pfaltstr)
Cc: enum at ietf.org; Richard Shockey
Betreff: RE: [Enum] Horizontal vs Vertical - not just carriers

Clearly the majority of people active on this list are involved with
carriers, but lets not forget that many of the requirements of ENUM
do not pre-suppose that the majority of applications of ENUM will be about
voice over IP , carriers etc.

There are applications that will be deployed that use ENUM as a way of
assigning properties to numbers that happen to lie
in the E.164 tree for convenience / uniqueness without having any
connection whatsoever with "carriers".

Lets keep sight of their requirements (assumed to be still current)

At 22:50 08/07/2005, Michael Hammer \(mhammer\) wrote:
>Good summary.  Carriers can provide useful services to their customers,
>but must keep in mind that the first most useful feature is that anyone in
>the world can reach them.
>
>I'm not sure how the termination charges carriers like to charge each
>other will work out, but if the calls are symmetric with each carrier
>terminating one half of the call, that should even out and each can bill
>their respective customers and keep the money.  If it is asymmetric, well
>that may be another story.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum