Subject: RE: Carrier ENUM Definition (was RE: [Enum] Agenda items forIETF Paris)

From: "James McEachern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:58:40 -0400

Michael Haberler wrote:

>Enlightened telcos might consult User ENUM too...   

I'm curious about your rationale for this statement, given that the purpose of User ENUM is to allow end users to directly contact other end users, bypassing the carrier completely.  

Jim

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Otmar Lendl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:47:47 -0400

On 2005/07/26 06:07, James McEachern <jmce at nortel.com> wrote:
> I'm curious about your rationale for this statement, given that the
> purpose of User ENUM is to allow end users to directly contact other
> end users, bypassing the carrier completely.
>

Of course it is best for the originating user to bypass all carriers,
but once the call has been handed to a telco, the following rationale
applies: Delivering the call to another telco costs termination fees,
direct delivery to the enduser over IP is basically for free.

Example in the Austrian context: If telco A can use User-ENUM to avoid
the normal PoI for a call to a Hutchison 3G mobile, it saves about 20
cent/min on interconnection fees.

I understand that the US settlement regime is quite different to the
European one, thus the motivations might be different on the western
shores of the atlantic.

/ol
-- 
< Otmar Lendl (lendl at nic.at) | nic.at Systems Engineer >