Subject: [Enum] E.164 communication assumptions/requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:03:29 -0400

Steve Lind and the enum wg mailing list -

I don't know if the following material belongs with the
requirements list Steve has compiled, but I thought it
might be useful for everyone to consider these items.
In the long term, these items may have little relevance,
but I would like to hear reasoned discussion from anyone
who thinks that they do not or should not apply in the near term.

Jim Baskin

= = = = = = = = = =

Some E.164 assumptions/requirements/principles
(concentrating on voice communication and the
reasonably near future):

- A significant portion of the world's population will continue
to depend on PSTN-based voice telephony service available for
years to come.

- E.164 telephone numbers within geographic country codes will
continue to be assigned by numbering administration entities
authorized by the governments of those countries.  The administrators
will assign blocks of numbers or individual numbers to ^carriers^ or
^service providers^ for subsequent assignment to end users.  Some
administrators might also be given the authority to assign numbers
directly to individual end users.

- All E.164 numbers should be callable from the PSTN.  Someone
using a PSTN-connected telephone with a keypad or a rotary dial
should be able to place a call to any other end user who has
voice telephone service that has been assigned an E.164 number.
It should not matter what underlying technology is used to provide
the voice service to the called user -- wireline, wireless,
satellite, VoIP, etc.

- There should be no ^islands^ of E.164 numbers that are
unreachable from users of other E.164 numbers.

ENUM-specific assumptions/requirements/principles:

- There should be no E.164 numbers that can be reached
only by ENUM-enabled call originators.

- An E.164 number that exists in e164.arpa should be
callable with no need for an originating PSTN user or carrier
to perform an ENUM query.  Standard PSTN call origination
should always work, although the terminating carrier may need
to do an ENUM query to complete the call.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Ray Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:23:55 -0400

At 00:03 15/07/2005, james.f.baskin at verizon.com wrote:
- All E.164 numbers should be
callable from the PSTN.  Someone
using a PSTN-connected telephone with a keypad or a rotary dial
should be able to place a call to any other end user who has
voice telephone service that has been assigned an E.164 number.
It should not matter what underlying technology is used to provide
the voice service to the called user -- wireline, wireless,
satellite, VoIP, etc.
- There should be no ^islands^ of E.164 numbers that are
unreachable from users of other E.164 numbers.
I don't believe the above two things are ENUM requirements.
There are applications being envisaged where the E.164 number is purely
used as a key to 
ENUM data "stored in DNS".  There is no requirement that
an E.164 number has to be "callable"
as far as I know, and if it had to be, those applications would have to
create "callable endpoints"
which might be meaningless certain applications (e.g. what is delivered
to a voice caller 
when the E.164 number refers to a video stream or a WAP page?

Ray Anderson   CEO Bango  
ray at bango.com   
www.bango.com
Mobile: +44 7768 454545  Fax: +44 20 7692 5558  
Come and see Bango at Mobile Entertainment Summit 2005,  Hilton Universal City, Los Angeles, USA   27-28 July www.ihollywoodforum.com