Subject: [Enum] Multiple service providers routing to single E.164?

From: Thilo Salmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 05:49:29 -0400

Penn, Steve,

can I ask you to clarify this part for me?

"The E2U+carrier record, on the other hand, is controlled by the GSTN
carrier of record for the E.164 number (i.e., the service provider who
has been allocated the block of numbers in which the number in question
is contained or to which the number has been ported)."

Apart from the difficulties for c.c.e164.arpa administratiors to verify
the PSTN routing of ported numbers in some countries, I sense another
problem:

Unlike in the PSTN world in which each number is terminated by a single
service provider this may not be the case in the voip world. The absence
of naked DSL (i.e. DSL on land lines without PSTN service) hinders
number portability as a number cannot possibly ported from a land line
without the end user loosing his or her DSL service. 

As a workaround numerous service providers have started to validate
their end users' phone numbers and route them. This development has been
boosted by CPEs which integrate FXO/FXS and SIP into a single box. Today
it is not uncommon for an end user to receive incoming routing on his or
her land line numbers through multiple service providers without any
public records of the established routing whatsoever (btw, that fact is
driving law enforcement officers nuts). In Germany alone I would expect
about one percent of all numbers to be listed in alternative routing
tables.

Where in this a shared user and carrier enum tree would you accomodate
those service providers and what would be the proposition for them?

All the best,
Thilo

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:08:36 -0400

For your information: In the Netherlands one can get xDSL service
without PSTN. Basically, one only pays for the use of the old trusted
copper wire to whoever maintains it (most likely the old phone
company).

You can then pick your xxDSL service supplier yourself.

There are also companie(s) which give you VOIP independent from
where you buy your IP services. And they are happy to over port the
PSTN number as wel for a fee.

	jaap