Subject: [Enum] Success with APEET ENUM/SIP Live Trial at APRICOT 2005

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:27:51 -0500

http://www.apenum.org/Press_Releases/Live_Trial_At_APRICOT2005
Singapore, Mar 4, 2005&#x2013; Asia Pacific ENUM Engineering Team (APEET) 
announced the successful conclusion of the APEET ENUM/SIP Live Trial at 
APRICOT 2005.

The Live Trial conducted by APEET involves loaning Wifi SIP phones, 
sponsored by Hitachi-cable, preconfigured with an ENUM number and SIP 
account. Participants in the Live Trial was able to use the Wifi SIP 
phones to make free unlimited calls to each other and also PSTN calls 
to the Beijing, Singapore, Sweden, Taiwan and United States supported 
by Jeff Pulver/LibreTel (US), Jakob Schlyter (SE), APRICOT 2005 NOC 
team and members of APEET. 

&#x201C;It is stunning to see so many people excitingly calling each another 
as if they never made a phone call in their life.&#x201D;, said James Seng, 
Chairman of APEET, &#x201C;Very few technology can create such enthusiasm 
among the engineers.&#x201D;

The purpose of the Live Trial is to demonstrate the readiness of ENUM 
and SIP technology and to get engineers familiar with it. Much of 
effort of the trial involves ensuring the wireless network 
infrastructure is capable of handling VoIP over WiFi and making the 
phones &#x201C;just work out of the box&#x201D;.

&#x201C;This Live Trial has achieved more than what a hundred presentations 
can do in evangelizing the technology&#x201D;, said Richard Shockey, IETF ENUM 
Working Group co-chair and Senior Manager, Strategic Technology 
Initiatives, NeuStar Inc.  

The Live Trial was so well received by APRICOT delegate that the Wifi 
SIP phones were out-of-stock in 5 hours.

&#x201C;Seeing conference participants fight to get a phone so they can 
participate is the best score a live trial can get&#x201D;, said Patrik 
Fältström, Cisco Systems, co-author of ENUM specification.

Participants were impressed with the neat system provided by APEET, 
ease of use of the Hitachi-cable phones and the voice quality of the 
calls.

&#x201C;I used the phone to call home and the performance was better then US 
cell phone!&#x201D;, said Bill Norton, co-founder of Equinix.

&#x201C;Users were so pleased with the success of the trial, that there was a 
great demand for continuation of this project at the next IETF 
meeting.&#x201D;, said Bill Woodcock, Research Director of Packet Clearing 
House and Operator of INOC-DBA global VoIP hotline phone system. 

APEET received many favorable feedbacks and will conduct a larger trial 
at some other event within the next 12 months.

For more information, please visit http://www.apenum.org/
Media Contact
APEET
info at apenum.org
About Asia Pacific ENUM Engineering Team (APEET) 
Started in 2004, APEET is an informal project team comprises of 
engineers from CNNIC, JPRS, KRNIC, SGNIC and TWNIC and invited experts. 
The goal of APEET is to conduct joint trials and to promote the 
development of ENUM and its related technology such as SIP. We welcome 
other engineers from ccTLD communities to join APEET.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum