Subject: RE: [Enum] RFC 3953 on Telephone Number Mapping (ENUM) ServiceRegistration for Presence Services

From: "Klaus Darilion" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:01:05 -0500

Hi all!

I've went through this RFC and RFC 3861 and I'm trying to apply this
methods to a real world scenario but without luck - maybe someone can
elp me out:

For example, I'm using a presence enabled SIP client which is registered
as sip:klaus at mysipprovider.com. This presence notifier should be
reachable via ENUM. First I will need a pres: URI, e.g.
pres:klaus at mysipprovider.com. 

Thus, the entity (A) which is interested in my presence performs an ENUM
lookup. This reveals: pres:klaus at mysipprovider.com

A is also capable of SIP, thus it makes an SRV lookup for:
_pres._sip.mysipprovider.com
(btw: I have to bother my SIP provider to make the proper SRV records)

This for example reveals a target: proxy.mysipprovider.com

But what does A next? It will send a SUBSCRIBE message to
proxy.mysipprovider.com, but how will the request URI look like? Will it
be the pres URI like:
SUBSCRIBE pres:klaus at mysipprovider.com

Or is there some mechanism to map the pres: URI to a sip: URI?

IMO this is laborious - wouldn't it be easier to use ENUM services which
describes the protocol too, e.g.
E2U+pres:sip
E2U+pres:icq

or using a URI which includes the protocol, e.g.
IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+pres" "!^.*$!sip:klaus at mysipprovider.com!"

regards,
klaus

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:26:08 -0500

On Jan 25, 2005, at 11:55, Klaus Darilion wrote:
IMO this is laborious - wouldn't it be easier to use ENUM services 
which
describes the protocol too, e.g.
E2U+pres:sip
E2U+pres:icq

or using a URI which includes the protocol, e.g.
IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+pres" "!^.*$!sip:klaus at mysipprovider.com!"
What happens is to be described in the service specification for "pres" 
or "sip" or "icq" or whatever you call the string that is in the E2U 
service field.

    paf