Subject: [Enum] FYI news on CC 1

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:34:01 -0400

I'm hoping to have a "special guest star" at the Monday night
meeting to give us some more details on this.
#############
For Immediate Release: Media Contact: Jackie Henson McKenna Long and
Aldridge LLP 202-496-7549 jhenson at mckennalong.com
TOP TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND INTERNET COMPANIES FORM COUNTRY CODE 1 ENUM
LLC TO FOSTER NEW INTERNET TELECOM TECHNOLOGY New Organization to Promote
Development of Technology to Combine Internet with Traditional Telephony
to Offer Streamlined Communication

Washington DC - (October 28, 2004) - Today, several leading
telecommunications and Internet companies have announced the formation of
a new organization, the Country Code 1 ENUM Limited Liability Company
(CC1 ENUM LLC), to build the public infrastructure that will promote the
development of ENUM technology in a single, carrier-class manner within
the countries of the North American Numbering Plan (NANP). The countries
of the NANP include the United States, Canada and the Caribbean
nations.
ENUM is a technology that allows users to combine the resources of the
Internet with traditional telephony, uniting these two diverse worlds of
communications and enabling a whole new range of communication
applications.  The ENUM system effectively enables individuals,
businesses and other organizations to maximize the use of both the public
Internet and the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) by associating
telephone numbers with Internet domain names.   As a result,
phone numbers can be used to send traditional telephony services like
voice calls or faxes which can be converted to digital packets for
delivery to a variety of devices.
A common ENUM system becomes increasingly essential as applications like
voice over IP (VoIP) become more widely adopted.  The ENUM system
bridges the technology gap between the public Internet and the Public
Switched Telephone Network so that VoIP users of different service
providers can communicate more simply with each other.
Through the launch of this new organization, the founding companies are
seeking to build a commercial implementation consistent with the relevant
open standards of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the
International Telecommunication Union (ITU) upon which ENUM is
based.  The new company will help to implement a single, public ENUM
system for those nations within the NANP that choose to
participate.  It is intended that the North American implementation
of ENUM will adhere to national and industry privacy requirements. 
The LLC?s first task will involve selection of a vendor to take the
initial steps towards creation of an infrastructure that would enable the
countries within the NANP to establish their own national ENUM
implementations. The limited liability company will also be responsible
for selecting a vendor to develop the national infrastructure for the
United States.
Country Code 1 ENUM LLC will manage the public infrastructure that
translates traditional telephone numbers into Internet domain names,
combining the reach and capabilities of the Internet with the Public
Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) to enable new communications
capabilities.  CC1 ENUM LLC members include AT&T, GoDaddy.com,
MCI, SBC Laboratories, Sprint, and Verizon.

# # #

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141 at fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1
815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
;
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum