Subject: [Enum] ENUM in the UK

From: "Fullbrook Kim (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:54:21 -0400

For those that are interested, the UK Government has issued a consultation document on the proposed arrangements for the establishment of a Public ENUM database in the UK.  The document is available for download at  http://www.dti.gov.uk/consultations/consultation-1230.html

Of relevance to earlier discussions in this forum is that they propose the database to be "opt in", confirming earlier views.

Kim.

========================================================This electronic message contains information from the mmO2 plc Group which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended tobe for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are notthe intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copyingdistribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If youhave received this electronic message in error, please notify usby telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.========================================================
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:52:40 -0400

Kim and all,

  Does this mean that future ENUM users either opt-in to have their
personal
and private information listed in the data base or not be able to use
ENUM?
OR, does this proposal mean that users UK can decide for themselves
to opt-in or not, and still use ENUM?

Fullbrook Kim (UK) wrote:

>    For those that are interested, the UK Government has issued a
> consultation
> document on the proposed arrangements for the establishment of a
> Public ENUM
> database in the UK.  The document is available for download at
> http://www.dti.gov.uk/consultations/consultation-1230.html
> <http://www.dti.gov.uk/consultations/consultation-1230.html>
>
> Of relevance to earlier discussions in this forum is that they propose
> the
> database to be "opt in", confirming earlier views.
>
> Kim.
>
>
>
>    Part 1.2       Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>               Encoding: 7bit

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
    Pierre Abelard

"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
===============================================================
Updated 1/26/04
CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:58:34 -0400

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes:

    Jeff> Kim and all, Does this mean that future ENUM users either
    Jeff> opt-in to have their personal and private information listed
    Jeff> in the data base or not be able to use ENUM?  OR, does this
    Jeff> proposal mean that users UK can decide for themselves to
    Jeff> opt-in or not, and still use ENUM?

Yes. 

The opt-in requirement comes from the government and regulator. This
is likely to apply throughout Western Europe: certainly the EU
anyway. The fundamental principle here is that numbers don't get
entered into ENUM without the consent of the owner of that number.
[ie You can't spoof the registration of my home number and then steal
my phone service or divert it to a $1000/min sex line on the Space
Station.] Telcos also want this opt-in provision so that their
customers interests are protected. Though it doesn't take much to see
how this might be in the telco's self-interest too.

What the end user puts in the DNS under their ENUM registration is up
to the end user. Though that may depend on the facilities for NAPTR
manipulation that the end user gets from their registrar and/or
applications service providers. Some hand-waving is done here however.
There are of course issues of data protection and privacy. Then
there's the obvious danger of publishing contact data that could be
mined by spammers, telemarketers, junk mail operators and similar
scum. Some user education will be needed, perhaps supported by a code
of conduct for the ENUM entities that's supervised by the proposed
Policy Committee.

FWIW, Sections 7.1 & 7.2 of the government consultation document
couldn't be any clearer about privacy consderations:

7.1	ENUM is a public database and the public have access to all
	the information held in DNS. The proposals for ENUM have been
	built on the principle that subscribers opt-in to ensure that
	they are aware that this information is being made public and
	have consented to its inclusion.

7.2	The existing legal requirements concerning data protection and
	privacy apply to the organisations involved in ENUM. Compliance 
	with these legal requirements is a matter for the organisations 
	concerned. No additional measures are proposed.

So UK users can use ENUM whether they opt-in or not. But they MUST
opt-in if they want others to use ENUM to reach them through DNS
entries under 4.4.e164.arpa.

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:14:01 -0400

Jim and all,

  Ok I thought so, but wanted to get a second opinion at least.

  This is how the US should also handle it, but somehow I doubt that
given the direction of the standards track thus far, it will be handled
as the UK is handling it...  I also agree with your analysis as well
Jim as to the benefit to the providers/Telco's/ISP's.  Kinda gets them
off the hook as well as gives them the option in marketing and sales...
However I am sure the anti-privacy bigots will not be so obliging
or enthused...

Regards,