Subject: Re: [Enum] IETF, ENUM and NGN

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:07:36 -0400

>These number ranges if PROPERLY delegated based on existing E164
>numbering plans in place in each country do NOT overlap so they could
>stay in the same tree. Or do they?

Thank you, Adrian for this question. Of course they do
overlap.

Consider a cable operator has assigned a number block
(e.g. UPC) in Vienna: e.g  +43 1 979xxxx

This is a geographic number. I, as a end-user decide now to 
opt-in ENUM, so I get a delegation in e164.arpa

Now the cable operator goes VoIP and also decides to peer
with another cable operator via "provider" ENUM. The two
(or more) providers decide to use a separate tree, because they
cannot do this in User ENUM (I and others are already there).

I could now decide to port the number from UPC to Telekom Austria.
This causes the entry in "provider" ENUM either to be removed, or
changed to Telekom Austria (if Telekom Austria is also using this tree).

My entry in User ENUM is unchanged.

They only way to avoid a conflict is a provider using a block in a new number
range dedicated for VoIP and selling these numbers together with the ENUM
entry (that is, the user is at subscrption time declaring to opt-in ENUM)

or the provider is selling single numbers together with ENUM opt-in.

Richard

	-----UrsprÃngliche Nachricht----- 
	Von: Adrian Georgescu [mailto:ag at ag-projects.com] 
	Gesendet: Di 06.07.2004 19:41 
	An: James Seng 
	Cc: enum at ietf.org 
	Betreff: Re: [Enum] IETF, ENUM and NGN

	For my understanding, user ENUM consists of already existing telephone
	numbers already in use by end-users. Provider ENUM consists of blocks
	of numbers assigned to providers which in term get assigned to
	end-users.
	
	These number ranges if PROPERLY delegated based on existing E164
	numbering plans in place in each country do NOT overlap so they could
	stay in the same tree. Or do they?
	
	Adrian

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Peter Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:18:28 -0400

>
> I have an account at the University of Vienna IP PBX
> which is connected via Telekom Austria in Vienna
> +43 1 59966 366027
> but the number is also a private network number assigned
> +43 59966 366027
> Both entries are in ENUM and pointing to
> sip:e001-366027 at enum.at43.at
> (BTW this is an example of privacy)
 How is this an example of privacy???
Given the whole internet knows that these phone numers are personal 
identificiation material, providers are NOW responsible for protecting the 
expectations of EU persons, NOW. If their policies have rules concerning 
semi-public persons (like most of us, who use publicity to establish 
professional reputation ), the provider may be able to escape certain 
obligations - IF their own rules disclaim such obligations.

Who is the ENUM provider, TODAY? I need a legal name, so I can refer the 
data protection authorities to the abuser (if any abuse is occuring).

Lets view the data protection and privacy policies, for educational 
purposes, and see what protections they represent they provide.

We need to view similar policies of the delegation authority, as their 
unilateral acions can cause servers and authorities handling a given name to 
change. This implies that yhe policies setting the exectation for a given 
name can change - without notice to the party relying on the earlier 
disclosure.

(No: you cannot expect grandmother to pull up her dns tool , and parse the 
ENUM syntax, wherein the revised notice string is located, in Arabic script)