Subject: Re: [Enum] Fwd: [Sipping] RFC 3824 on Using E.164 numbers with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: "Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:34:33 -0400

Hi Richard, folks,
I quote from RFC3824 of June 2004:
   Note that the ENUM specification has undergone a revision shortly
   before the publication of this document, driven by the update of the
   NAPTR system described in RFC 2915 [12] to the Dynamic Delegation
   Discovery System (DDDS) family of specifications (including RFC
   3403).  This document therefore provides some guidance for handling
   records designed for the original RFC 2916 [16].
Super.
We try to convince people to use 340x/3761, and this RFC talks only 
about the old/obsolete stuff.

It's not like RFC3761 was issued in great haste or had late changes to 
the syntax or concept or anything (nor did RFC3764). As for the update 
from 2915 to 340x, that was hardly recent.

Coordination must be a great thing.
all the best,
  Lawrence
On 30 Jun 2004, at 00:39, Richard Shockey wrote:
<FYI on 3824>
To: ietf-announce at ietf.org
From: rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:24:46 -0700
Cc: sipping at ietf.org, rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org
Subject: [Sipping] RFC 3824 on Using E.164 numbers with the Session
        Initiation Protocol (SIP)
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.
        RFC 3824
        Title:      Using E.164 numbers with the Session Initiation
                    Protocol (SIP)
        Author(s):  J. Peterson, H. Liu, J. Yu, B. Campbell
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       June 2004
There are a number of contexts in which telephone numbers are
employed by Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) applications, many of
which can be addressed by ENUM.  Although SIP was one of the primary
applications for which ENUM was created, there is nevertheless a need
to define procedures for integrating ENUM with SIP
implementations.  This document illustrates how the two protocols
might work in concert, and clarifies the authoring and processing of
ENUM records for SIP applications.  It also provides guidelines for
instances in which ENUM, for whatever reason, cannot be used to
resolve a telephone number.
This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group of the IETF.
This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum