Subject: [Enum] ldaps and E2U

From: "Peter Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:46:35 -0400

One of the URI mappings mentioned in the ENUM RFC is from E.164 to an ldaps 
URI ; that is ldap (i.e. X.500 in drag) over SSL.

Can anyone point me to a E2U client implementation that has an initial DNS 
lookup then cooperate with ldap(s) (preferably resolved using PRDMD-oriented 
ActiveDirectory implementation from Microsoft)?

Alternatively , has anyone tried to put ENUM NAPTRs in the DNS schema of the 
active directory, so the directory can act as the responder for E2U queries- 
and thus benefit from well-understood management domain practices and 
knowledge distribution techniques for private domain access points?

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Adrian Georgescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:06:13 -0400

What would be the role of Active Directory with regards to ENUM? Could 
you detail on this?

On Jul 1, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
One of the URI mappings mentioned in the ENUM RFC is from E.164 to an 
ldaps URI ; that is ldap (i.e. X.500 in drag) over SSL.

Can anyone point me to a E2U client implementation that has an initial 
DNS lookup then cooperate with ldap(s) (preferably resolved using 
PRDMD-oriented ActiveDirectory implementation from Microsoft)?

Alternatively , has anyone tried to put ENUM NAPTRs in the DNS schema 
of the active directory, so the directory can act as the responder for 
E2U queries- and thus benefit from well-understood management domain 
practices and knowledge distribution techniques for private domain 
access points?

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:30:18 -0400

At 03:49 PM 7/1/2004, Adrian Georgescu wrote:
What would be the role of Active Directory with regards to ENUM? Could you 
detail on this?
I would guess this is a TN to SIP AOR directory application for IP-PBX's. 
Use the corporate wide AD to manage SIP AOR's ..but you would have to get 
the IP-PBX's all to point to AD for resolution and the chances of that 
happening is about the same as getting them to add ENUM resolvers.

Ask your Cisco rep when are they going to add a ENUM resolver into Call 
Manager ? ..oh sorry..

Alternatively , has anyone tried to put ENUM NAPTRs in the DNS schema of 
the active directory, so the directory can act as the responder for E2U 
queries-
you would not put NAPTR in AD only the relevant SIP AOR.
and thus benefit from well-understood management domain practices and 
knowledge distribution techniques for private domain access points?
The concepts of "well-understood management practices" and Microsoft Active 
Directory strike me mutually exclusive.

The answer to the question BTW is no ..it has not been done.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141 at fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum