Subject: [Enum] Formation of APEET

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:46:38 -0400

Singapore, July 19, 2004 - [CNNIC] (China Network Information Center), 
[JPRS] (Japan Registry Service), [KRNIC] (Korea Network Information 
Center), [SGNIC] (Singapore Network Information Center) and [TWNIC] 
(Taiwan Network Information Center) today announced the formation of 
Asia Pacific ENUM Engineering Team (APEET), an informal technical 
project team formed to coordinate and synergize ENUM activities in the 
Asia Pacific region.

The proposal to form APEET was discussed during an ENUM BoF 
(Birds-of-a-Feather) session at APRICOT (Asia Pacific Regional Internet 
Conference on Operational Technologies) in February 2004. Founding 
member organizations of APEET shared a common vision that as a 
collective group, they will be able to achieve greater community 
awareness and better interoperability of ENUM-based trials.

"ENUM allows IP devices to be assigned a telephone number which is 
globally interoperable," says James Seng, Chairman of APEET. "It is a 
key enabling technology for seamless IP Telephony which will greatly 
benefit the end-users."

Before the formation of APEET, each member organization has been 
conducting its own ENUM trials, most of which are isolated trials 
conducted within each member organizationâs country/region. With the 
formation of APEET, member organizations will be able to implement 
technical solutions that facilitate ENUM trials across Asia Pacific.

"We are extremely excited about the formation of this much needed 
organization," says Hiro Hotta, Director JPRS. "We are ready to bring 
ENUM trials to the next level."

One of APEET's key project is to implement a live ENUM trial at APRICOT 
2005, Kyoto, Japan. The live trial will allow hundreds of APRICOT 
participants to experience IP Telephony using wireless SIP Phones and 
calling each another with standard 10-key telephone interface via ENUM. 
The live trial, believed to be the first of its kind, will serve to 
demonstrate and educate the technical community on the power, 
capabilities and feasibility of ENUM together with SIP.

"This looks like one of the most exciting events of 2005 with a 
demonstration of technologies to rock Asia Pacific", says Richard 
Shockey, co-Chair of Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) ENUM Working 
Group.

The formation of APEET has been well received by the Industry. (APNIC) 
Asia Pacific Network Information Center has extended its goodwill to 
host DNS records of "apenum.org" â the selected "golden root" of APEET 
technical trials. APEET is also fortunate to have individual experts 
member such as Richard Shockey.

APEET welcomes all Asia Pacific ccTLD administrators (or its designated 
representatives) to join and contribute towards the success of ENUM 
adoption in Asia Pacific.

For more information, please visit http://www.apenum.org
Media Contact:
James Seng
jseng at pobox.org.sg
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Peter Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:04:52 -0400

"The formation of APEET has been well received by the Industry. (APNIC) Asia 
Pacific Network Information Center has extended its goodwill to host DNS 
records of "apenum.org" â?? the selected "golden root" of APEET technical 
trials. APEET is also fortunate to have individual experts member such as 
Richard Shockey. ;

Could the experts define "golden root", in terms of that IETF members might 
understand?

From: James Seng <jseng at pobox.org.sg>
To: enum at ietf.org
Subject: [Enum] Formation of APEET
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:40:02 +0800
Singapore, July 19, 2004 - [CNNIC] (China Network Information Center), 
[JPRS] (Japan Registry Service), [KRNIC] (Korea Network Information 
Center), [SGNIC] (Singapore Network Information Center) and [TWNIC] (Taiwan 
Network Information Center) today announced the formation of Asia Pacific 
ENUM Engineering Team (APEET), an informal technical project team formed to 
coordinate and synergize ENUM activities in the Asia Pacific region.

The proposal to form APEET was discussed during an ENUM BoF 
(Birds-of-a-Feather) session at APRICOT (Asia Pacific Regional Internet 
Conference on Operational Technologies) in February 2004. Founding member 
organizations of APEET shared a common vision that as a collective group, 
they will be able to achieve greater community awareness and better 
interoperability of ENUM-based trials.

"ENUM allows IP devices to be assigned a telephone number which is globally 
interoperable," says James Seng, Chairman of APEET. "It is a key enabling 
technology for seamless IP Telephony which will greatly benefit the 
end-users."

Before the formation of APEET, each member organization has been conducting 
its own ENUM trials, most of which are isolated trials conducted within 
each member organizationâ??s country/region. With the formation of APEET, 
member organizations will be able to implement technical solutions that 
facilitate ENUM trials across Asia Pacific.

"We are extremely excited about the formation of this much needed 
organization," says Hiro Hotta, Director JPRS. "We are ready to bring ENUM 
trials to the next level."

One of APEET's key project is to implement a live ENUM trial at APRICOT 
2005, Kyoto, Japan. The live trial will allow hundreds of APRICOT 
participants to experience IP Telephony using wireless SIP Phones and 
calling each another with standard 10-key telephone interface via ENUM. The 
live trial, believed to be the first of its kind, will serve to demonstrate 
and educate the technical community on the power, capabilities and 
feasibility of ENUM together with SIP.

"This looks like one of the most exciting events of 2005 with a 
demonstration of technologies to rock Asia Pacific", says Richard Shockey, 
co-Chair of Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) ENUM Working Group.

The formation of APEET has been well received by the Industry. (APNIC) Asia 
Pacific Network Information Center has extended its goodwill to host DNS 
records of "apenum.org" â?? the selected "golden root" of APEET technical 
trials. APEET is also fortunate to have individual experts member such as 
Richard Shockey.