Subject: [Enum] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:46:07 -0400

A useful document to review in that some have mis-characterized ENUM as a 
VoIP spam engine..

X-McAfeeVS-TimeoutProtection: 5
To: i-d-announce at ietf.org
From: Internet-Drafts at ietf.org
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:37:09 -0400
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt
X-BeenThere: i-d-announce at ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.5
Reply-To: internet-drafts at ietf.org
List-Id: i-d-announce.ietf.org
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,
        <mailto:i-d-announce-request at ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Post: <mailto:i-d-announce at ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:i-d-announce-request at ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,
        <mailto:i-d-announce-request at ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
Sender: i-d-announce-bounces at ietf.org
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

        Title           : The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Spam
        Author(s)       : J. Rosenberg, C. Jennings
        Filename        : draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt
        Pages           : 20
        Date            : 2004-7-12
Spam, defined as the transmission of bulk unsolicited messages, has
   plagued Internet email.  Unfortunately, spam is not limited to email.
   It can affect any system that enables user to user communications.
   The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) defines a system for user to
   user multimedia communications.  Therefore, it is susceptible to
   spam, just as email is.  In this document, we analyze the problem of
   spam in SIP.  We first identify the ways in which the problem is the
   same and the ways in which it is different from email.  We then
   examine the various possible solutions that have been discussed for
   email and consider their applicability to SIP.  Discussions on this
   draft should be directed at sipping at ietf.org.
A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt
To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
i-d-announce-request at ietf.org with the word unsubscribe in the body of the 
message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt".
A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
Send a message to:
        mailserv at ietf.org.
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt".
NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.
Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <2004-7-12143401.I-D at ietf.org>
ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-spam-00.txt>
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
I-D-Announce at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141 at fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum