Subject: Re: [Enum] ldaps and E2U

From: "Peter Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 03:28:54 -0400

From: Adrian Georgescu <ag at ag-projects.com>
To: "Peter Williams" <home_pw at msn.com>
CC: enum at ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Enum] ldaps and E2U
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:49:59 +0200
What would be the role of Active Directory with regards to ENUM? Could you 
detail on this?
(a) use the DNS as a locator for the ENUM providers (of PREMDs), much as we 
use DNS today to locate ldap access points (with site specific modifiers) of 
Windows authentication servers

(b) use the multi-mastering replication in AD to transfer ENUM zones between 
primary and secondary ENUM provider's DNS servers (in a PREMD)

(c) use Windows 2003 features to target which subset of zones are replicated 
where by an DNS server acting as a distibution point for a confederation of 
ENUM providers (each operating a PREMD)

(d) dynamically register the ENUM address of a terminal in the PREMD 
associated with the DHCP assigning the device its primary IP address, and 
registering the A/PTR in the local DNS name space.

Thinking laterally, to get ENUM out of its non-adoption hole. I feel ENUM is 
exactly where X.509 was in IETF in 1994. On the cusp of a breakthrough. I 
have every hope the breakout mechanisms that worked then, can work here.

On Jul 1, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
One of the URI mappings mentioned in the ENUM RFC is from E.164 to an 
ldaps URI ; that is ldap (i.e. X.500 in drag) over SSL.

Can anyone point me to a E2U client implementation that has an initial DNS 
lookup then cooperate with ldap(s) (preferably resolved using 
PRDMD-oriented ActiveDirectory implementation from Microsoft)?

Alternatively , has anyone tried to put ENUM NAPTRs in the DNS schema of 
the active directory, so the directory can act as the responder for E2U 
queries- and thus benefit from well-understood management domain practices 
and knowledge distribution techniques for private domain access points?

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum