Subject: [Enum] GRX ENUM

From: "Fullbrook Kim (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:38:32 -0400

A previous message mentioned the use of ENUM on the GSM GRX network for routing MMS messages.  Can anyone comment on the extent to which this is in use ?  The latest version of GSMA document IR.52 mentions the use of ENUM in MMS but it's on a fairly localised level rather than anything GRX-wide.

Kim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yu, James [mailto:james.yu at neustar.biz] 
Sent: 12 June 2004 15:26
To: 'richard.stastny at oefeg.at'; 'sdlind at att.com'; 'richard at shockey.us'; 'enum at ietf.org'
Cc: 'jseng at pobox.org.sg'; 'mah at eunet.at'; 'paf at cisco.com'
Subject: Re: [Enum] User ENUM vs Operator ENUM

One example/use of carrier ENUM is to retrieve the routing number/prefix for
a ported phone number.  End User ENUM will not have this NAPTR RR (end user
will not have the knowledge to put in the info.). 

As Richard mentioned, carriers use carrier ENUM for inter-carrier
communication/routing (e.g., identify the MMSC for a mobile phone number or
the SIP URI for receing incoming INVITEs).  So carrier ENUM contains NAPTR
RRs for the phone numbers served by the carriers.  A carrier can put in the
service info. only for the phone numbers it serves.  In end user ENUM, an
end user can put service info. associated with many carriers and/or
non-carrier service providers (e.g., those who don't assign phone numbers to
their subscribers).

General public may not access NAPTR RRs in carrier ENUM.  Access control can
be applied to carrier ENUM to block unauthored access.  Also the access can
be retricted to private-IP networks if the carrier community decide so
(e.g., carrier ENUM's DNS servers can only be accessed via private-IP
networks such as the GRX in GSM/GPRS and the CRX that is discussed among the
CDMA carriers. 

James 
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

========================================================This electronic message contains information from the mmO2 plc Group which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended tobe for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are notthe intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copyingdistribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If youhave received this electronic message in error, please notify usby telephone or email
(to the numbers or address above) immediately.========================================================
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum