Subject: Re: ENUM Privacy (was RE: [Enum] User ENUM vs Operator ENUM)

From: Mike Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:50:15 -0400

Jim,
Could you explain where the personal information is in the sip address you 
cite?

It tells you absolutely nothing about who that number is assigned to, or 
even if it is assigned to someone at all.  If this runs afoul of EU 
legislation, then that legislation has some serious problems.

Mike
At 05:13 PM 6/25/2004 +0100, Jim Reid wrote:
>>>>> "Jason" == Livingood, Jason <Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com> writes:
    Jason> What about sip:12345678909 at bigtelco.com as the URI?  Does
    Jason> that display privacy information in anyone's view if
    Jason> 12345678909 represents a number on the PSTN which is
    Jason> reachable by anyone else with a telephone?
Maybe, maybe not. But it does fall foul of most EU data protection
legislation. Under that, any data which identifies a living person is
classed as "personal data" and there are rules about how it can be
used, processed and accessed. However most of these evaporate under
the opt-in principle when the data subject consents to having their
personal data stored in a computer system and knows how it will be
used. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV. But in a
previous life I have had to deal with the UK's Data Protection Act.
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:25:53 -0400

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Hammer <mhammer at cisco.com> writes:

    Mike> Jim, Could you explain where the personal information is in
    Mike> the sip address you cite?

I didn't cite any sip address. 

    Mike> It tells you absolutely nothing about who that number is
    Mike> assigned to, or even if it is assigned to someone at all.

That's true. But if the address does identify a living person, it will
be subject to EU Data Protection legislation within EU jurisdiction.

    Mike> If this runs afoul of EU legislation, then that legislation
    Mike> has some serious problems.

Welcome to the real world. :-)

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:28:02 -0400

Jim, Mike and all,

> Welcome to the real world. :-)

 That's right Jim and Mike.  And the real world is whom will be
the customers of ENUM assignments.  The real world is made
up of mostly but not completely individuals whom are stakeholders/users
or soon to become potential individual stakeholders/users...  They
make the rules through their elected representatives by in large or
they may make the rules directly through various means...

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
    Pierre Abelard

"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
===============================================================
Updated 1/26/04
CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827