Subject: RE: ENUM Privacy (was RE: [Enum] User ENUM vs Operator ENUM)

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:10:53 -0400

Kim Fullbrook wrote 2 examples that would not work:

> e.g. 12345678909 -> sip:bigtelco.com   ?  This would be an incomplete
URI...

> e.g. 12345678909 -> sip:jdoe at bigtelco.com  then we are back to the same
situation already described: anyone can "war dial" the DNS and build up a
list of SIP URIs of subscribers which is effectively a publicly accessible
phone book without "opt out".

What about sip:12345678909 at bigtelco.com as the URI?  Does that display
privacy information in anyone's view if 12345678909 represents a number on
the PSTN which is reachable by anyone else with a telephone?

Jason Livingood

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:57:58 -0400

>>>>> "Jason" == Livingood, Jason <Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com> writes:

    Jason> What about sip:12345678909 at bigtelco.com as the URI?  Does
    Jason> that display privacy information in anyone's view if
    Jason> 12345678909 represents a number on the PSTN which is
    Jason> reachable by anyone else with a telephone?

Maybe, maybe not. But it does fall foul of most EU data protection
legislation. Under that, any data which identifies a living person is
classed as "personal data" and there are rules about how it can be
used, processed and accessed. However most of these evaporate under
the opt-in principle when the data subject consents to having their
personal data stored in a computer system and knows how it will be
used. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV. But in a
previous life I have had to deal with the UK's Data Protection Act.

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:58:00 -0400

At 10:13 AM 6/25/2004, Livingood, Jason wrote:
URI...

This BTW is exactly the example I put in my Privacy and Security Draft  The 
optimal SIP AOR is for use in ENUM systems is:

sip:e164number at serviceprovider.foo
remember privacy and security is not a issue for ENUM ..ENUM is only a TN 
to URI translation database.  Privacy and security controls are a SIP issue 
and should be managed and controlled there.

Jason Livingood

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141 at fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum