Subject: RE: ENUM Privacy (was RE: [Enum] User ENUM vs Operator ENUM)

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:42:34 -0400

> Jeff wrote:
> Routing can still happen uninterrupted even if the "User ENUM" number
> is "Not publicly listed" but still available for routing purposes.
> 
[Richard>] This is nonsense.
"User ENUM" is always public. If a number is not listed in "user ENUM"
it not available and cannot by used for "routing" purposes. Period

It may be listed in Infrastructure ENUM which is NOT publicly available,
and will be used for routing purposes by definition. Since it
is not publicly available, there is no privacy issue. At least no
one to deal with here.

This was my last statement in this thread on this issue.

Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:18:28 -0400

Richard and all,

> it not available and cannot by used for "routing" purposes. Period

  I wasn't referring for "routing" purposes.  I was referring to public
viewable access via DNS lookups ect...  Sorry if I wasn't as clear
as I may have needed to be...

> is not publicly available, there is no privacy issue. At least no

  Ok, for the purposes of routing, yes there is no privacy issue of
significant concern.  Your point is taken here..  However routing
tables could be used or accessed and than used for nefarious
purposes lest viewable address  they are protected in some
form.  I can think of several ways which such protection
could be achieved.  It may be this is a starting point for that
discussion?

> This was my last statement in this thread on this issue.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
    Pierre Abelard

"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
===============================================================
Updated 1/26/04
CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827