Subject: RE: ENUM Privacy (was RE: [Enum] User ENUM vs Operator ENUM)

From: "James McEachern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:37:21 -0400

Mike,

   > If I understand correctly this could be a 3-stage process:
   > 
   > 1) PSTN call causes NP dip and resolves to an IP-domain indication
   >     Local database determines TDM routing to IP Gateway
   >     PSTN call routed to nearest IP Gateway
   >     (optional if call originates in IP)

Does this mean that ENUM is only available to numbers that have been 
"ported out" to the IP-domain, and are marked as such in NP databases?

   > 
   > 2) Public ENUM search resolves to Service Provider (SP) URI address
   >     DNS search gives corresponding IP address
   >     IP setup message routed to SP
   >     (SP is public operator/carrier, enterprise, or opt-in end-user)

I thought that the ENUM search returned the full URI, although in the case
of SIP the initial routing might be on the basis of just the domain.  Again,
in the case of SIP, isn't step 3 really performed by the SIP proxy the
target user has registered with, rather than by ENUM?  
   > 
   > 3) Private "ENUM" search (on local part of URI) resolves to Subscriber
   > URI
   > address
   >     DNS search gives corresponding IP address
   >     IP setup message sent to Subscriber
   >     (optional if SP was end-user; subscriber is operator/carrier
   > customer or
   >      enterprise end-point)

I thought that Private (or Carrier, or Infrastructure) "ENUM" was orthogonal
to all of this, and could potentially be used even if the E.164 had never
been ported to the IP-domain at all.

Jim

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:59:13 -0400

At 0
I thought that Private (or Carrier, or Infrastructure) "ENUM" was orthogonal
to all of this, and could potentially be used even if the E.164 had never
been ported to the IP-domain at all.
Correct   Now real answer to you question is what do you mean by ported 
into the IP domain..ported by the consumer under the rules of 3761 or 
ported by the carrier into a IP soft switch (proxy) environment where two 
or more service providers may wish to exchange URI's in order to facilate 
the something like LERG, NPAC or IMT trunking?

One is globally visible in the DNS ..the other is not and in fact may or 
may not use DNS at all.

Jim

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141 at fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum