Subject: [Enum] IP claims that may impact ENUM

From: "Lind, Steven D, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

Internet Management Systems, Inc. (a Swiss company) has submitted a contribution to the current meeting of ITU-T Study Group 2 that claims that both they and HP have intellectual property and patents dealing with the mapping of telephone numbers to internet domain names. I couldn't find any IP statement on the IETF web site, although that is not the relevant issue. I wanted to make the WG members aware of this issue so that they can fold in any impact of this in their business plans.

Steve Lind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven D. Lind                                Tel: 973-236-6787
180 Park Avenue                             Fax: 360-343-2875
Room A201                                    sdlind at att.com
Florham Park, NJ 07932
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
enum at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:47:32 -0400 (EDT)

On May 20, 2004, at 13:46, Lind, Steven D, ALABS wrote:

Internet Management Systems, Inc. (a Swiss company) has submitted a 
contribution to the current meeting of ITU-T Study Group 2 that claims 
that both they and HP have intellectual property and patents dealing 
with the mapping of telephone numbers to internet domain names. I 
couldn't find any IP statement on the IETF web site, although that is 
not the relevant issue. I wanted to make the WG members aware of this 
issue so that they can fold in any impact of this in their business 
plans.
FYI: ENUM is using ideas from RFC 1486 published in July 1993 (which 
means Internet Drafts and testing were going on long before that date) 
which imply any patent claims talking about mapping of E.164 to domain 
names have to be filed before that date. The document specifies the 
tpc.int domain as root. So, ENUM was not where this mapping was 
invented.

1486 An Experiment in Remote Printing. M. Rose, C. Malamud. July 1993.
     (Format: TXT=26373 bytes) (Obsoleted by RFC1528, RFC1529) (Status:
     EXPERIMENTAL)
ENUM itself was first documented and implemented as part of a master 
thesis at Ericsson winter 1996-1997.

     Patrik Fältström

---

From: Teddy A Purwadi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 11:56:56 -0400

At 06:53 PM 5/20/2004, Patrik Fältström wrote:
On May 20, 2004, at 13:46, Lind, Steven D, ALABS wrote:
Internet Management Systems, Inc. (a Swiss company) has submitted a 
contribution to the current meeting of ITU-T Study Group 2 that claims 
that both they and HP have intellectual property and patents dealing with 
the mapping of telephone numbers to internet domain names. I couldn't 
find any IP statement on the IETF web site, although that is not the 
relevant issue. I wanted to make the WG members aware of this issue so 
that they can fold in any impact of this in their business plans.
Yes. we have to find this clearance by institutional body
that in-charged or mandatory institution(s) to do so.
ISOC?
-teddy
FYI: ENUM is using ideas from RFC 1486 published in July 1993 (which means 
Internet Drafts and testing were going on long before that date) which 
imply any patent claims talking about mapping of E.164 to domain names 
have to be filed before that date. The document specifies the tpc.int 
domain as root. So, ENUM was not where this mapping was invented.

     Patrik Fältström