Subject: [Enum] RFC 3761 on The E.164 to Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI) Dynamic Delegation Discovery System (DDDS) Application (ENUM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:06:01 -0400

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3761

        Title:      The E.164 to Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI)
                    Dynamic Delegation Discovery System (DDDS)
                    Application (ENUM)
        Author(s):  P. Faltstrom, M. Mealling
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 41559
        Obsoletes:  2916

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-enum-rfc2916bis-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3761.txt

This document discusses the use of the Domain Name System (DNS) for
storage of E.164 numbers.  More specifically, how DNS can be used for
identifying available services connected to one E.164 number.  It
specifically obsoletes RFC 2916 to bring it in line with the Dynamic
Delegation Discovery System (DDDS) Application specification found in
the document series specified in RFC 3401.  It is very important to
note that it is impossible to read and understand this document
without reading the documents discussed in RFC 3401.

This document is a product of the Telephone Number Mapping Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Working Group.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

<ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3761.txt>