Subject: AW: [Enum] Summary on NoPSTN dicussion

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:33:37 +0100

Clive said:
	>If the shadow tree is shadow.e164.arpa, and if the delegation rule is that
	>the national authority getting <N>.e164.arpa is also delegated
	><N>.shadow.e164.arpa (so the UK Tier 1 operator has both 4.4.e164.arpa and
	>4.4.shadow.e164.arpa), doesn't that give you both B and C without needing
	>to create another special SLD?

	Yes, of course, maybe I did it not make completely clear that I would prefer

	this variant, because it makes the other variants unnecessary. I only fear

	that this will take some time, so in the meantime the other SLDS could be used
	
	>Obviously, "shadow" can be replaced by something shorter if felt desirable,
	>such as "w" (for "wildcards").

	Of course, e164w.arpa would be sufficient.

	Richard
	
	--
	Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
	Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
	Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
	Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646

z{�����x%��^��z��m��?�0�'�~���f��f��X��)ߣ���

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:01:54 +0000

>Of course, e164w.arpa would be sufficient.

But this requires a second SLD, which *will* lead to arguments. The
advantage of w.e164.arpa is that it's more information in the same tree;
otherwise people are going to say "why should we expect it to stop at
two SLDs?" or even "as well as e164w.arpa, we clearly need e164.com". This
is a can of worms we don't need to have opened.

Doing it my way also establishes a precedent for other reference
information in the tree. For example, tier 1 registries could use
registry.<N>.e164.arpa (e.g. r.4.4.e164.arpa) for number-independent stuff
(in the same way that nic.<CCTLD> is used to refer to the current NIC for
the country).

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum