Subject: [Enum] vovi draft & useful enumservices

From: Michael Haberler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:08:30 +0100

to the vovi draft authors:

I have noticed that the - very useful - vovi draft has expired. When will 
it be updated?

I know people have suggested to just use sip: for multiples services and 
the SIP server magically figures it all out. Yes, however, this has a 
problem when gatewaying different services across network boundaries which 
the vovi services solve.

The sip: service requires the originator to send an INVITE just to find out 
that the client doesnt support a voice stream, whereas voice:sip would be a 
strong hint at the network boundary that there is such a capability.

A similar problem also came up for us since we are building SMS gatewaying 
for the at43 platform (GSM -> SIP): while using sip: can be used by a SMS 
gateway in principle, it cannot be sure the client has the MESSAGE 
capability. Even if the client is not logged on, or non-MESSAGE-capable 
client(s) is(are) logged on, the presence of the sms:sip URI would indicate 
to eventually there will be such a scenario so the SIP server could queue 
the message and trust that eventually the message can be delivered.

Using a qualified enumservice like voice:sip or sms:sip can be taken as a 
hint and result in a better user experience for the originator.

Can I suggest that be taken up again?

-Michael

---

From: Brandner Rudolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:06:15 +0100

Hi Michael,

As per the minutes of the WG meeting in SFO, we pulled out the contentious parts, solicited any comments from the working group (see my email to the mailing list from 10th April 2003) and submitted draft-brandner-enumservice-vovi-01.txt as a personal contribution on 15th April 2003 to the area director, Allison Mankin.

Maybe I missed something, but up to now I did not see any IETF last call announcement, nor does it appear on the 'publication requested' list (http://www.ietf.org/IESG/status.html).

I do not know what is going on.

Many thanks and have a nice weekend,
Rudi

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Michael Haberler
> Sent: Mittwoch, 4. Februar 2004 16:09
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Enum] vovi draft & useful enumservices
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum