Subject: RE : [Enum] Prototype of ENUM validation system online

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:38:21 +0100

Dear Colleagues, 

The best thing would be to have a validation process totally independent
from the TSP... This is not possible as long as the TSP will be responsible
for the allocation of individual E.164 numbers to customers. 

What about a direct allocation of E.164 numbers to the customers based on
the model used for Internet domain names ?

This could be done directly by the Authority managing the E.164 ressources
in a country... In this scenario, the Authority would also have the control
of information related to the numbers like e.g. directory data and could
give anyone access to those data at a fair price...! :o)  And as this
solution require a centralized database, some information (like who is the
TSP for a given number) could also be made available to any service or
application provider... 

I know, I'm dreaming... :o) 

Best, 

olivier

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Pfautz, Penn L, ALABS [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Envoyé : mardi, 4. novembre 2003 18:03
À : Michael Haberler; [email-masked]
Objet : RE: [Enum] Prototype of ENUM validation system online

Michael:
Thanks for this interesting document. Validation is a problem we grappled
with some in the US ENUM Forum. The trick of course is to get the TSP to
cooperate in the process. In the US it is not even possible to determine
from publicly available information who is the TSP. Then there is the issue
of how much the TSP will charge for assisting in the verification process.
So we'll be watching experience with great interest.

Penn Pfautz
AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Haberler [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 11:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Enum] Prototype of ENUM validation system online

over summer we developed a distributed authentication architecture for ENUM 
validation based on the RADIUS protocol, which was described in 
http://enum.nic.at/documents/AETP/Permanent_Documents/Drafts/0030-ENUM_valid
ation_architecture_v04.doc 
.

Otmar Lendl has just finished a prototype as proof-of-concept of this 
design and this prototype is now online.

The presentation is available at 
http://enum.nic.at/documents/AETP/Presentations/Austria/0026-2003-11_ENUM-Va
lidation-demo.ppt

The demo system is online for your perusal at http://samuel.ops.at43.at/ .

The documentation for this demo software is at
http://samuel.ops.at43.at/docs/

we're very interested in comments & feedback.

One aspect which I should underline - the method is intended to work also 
in the face of telcos which just ignore ENUM, in which case another 
validation entities take their role; this will not be necessarily more 
efficient but is important for consumer choice. The point is that there 
might be more than one "TSP" validating a given number.

-Michael Haberler

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:47:00 +0000

>>>>> "Olivier" == Olivier Girard <[email-masked]> writes:

    Olivier> What about a direct allocation of E.164 numbers to the
    Olivier> customers based on the model used for Internet domain
    Olivier> names ?

What model is that? On the internet, anyone can pretty much register
any domain name they want with little or no authentication beyond a
credit card number for payment. Is this what you're suggesting for the
registration of E.164 numbers?

Now it might be nice for the regulator to administer ENUM delegations
but this is likely to be impractical for a number of reasons.

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:28:25 +0000

[email-masked] said:
> in a country...

Can you say "political minefield"?

I don't have time to write a full explanation of the history and issues,
but a proposal like that would simply result in Enum being seen, by UK
telcos, as "a stupid idea from a bunch of complete idiots".

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646