Subject: [Enum] AW: Use of DNS Wildcards in ENUM

From: "Martin Streller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:38:35 +0200

Hi Lawrence,

>IF so then it might "fire" for an incomplete number. Thus, depending 
>on the TechC's...

It depends on the point of view, if this is considered to be a problem
or a solicited feature.

E.g. in H.323 such a dialling behaviour is well-known as 
overlapped-dialling. All the more - overlapped-dialling is crucial
if you wanted to resemble the way people are phoning today.

People hook-off their phone and start to dial. One digit by the 
other and w/o waiting until an intermediate something might
view the number as being complete.

So, if you asked me I'd vote for "yes, pls. let it fire for incomplete
numbers".

Btw, similar reflections apply for overdialling, i.e. you're providing 
more numbers than actually required. This also doesn't impose any harm.

Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Samstag, 5. Juli 2003 18:59
An: Patrik Fältström; Stastny Richard
Cc: Peterson, Jon; Martin Streller; Shockey, Richard; [email-masked]
Betreff: Use of DNS Wildcards in ENUM

{pruned to ENUM list only and thread renamed
- was "Re: AW: [Enum] Fwd: [Sipping] I-D 
ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-e164-03.txt"}

At 1:50 pm +0200 5/7/03, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>On lördag, jul 5, 2003, at 12:08 Europe/Stockholm, Stastny Richard wrote:
>
>>	I have to admit that also within our trails there are two 
>>schools of thought: One proposing the use of wildcards and regexp 
>>for this, the others (mostly DNS people having an horror of 
>>wildcards) are proposing just to generate zone entries for each 
>>full number.
>
>Don't mix up using wildcard in DNS with the regular expression 
>issues. They are two different issues, and should be kept separate. 
>That's why I gave an example without the wildcard in DNS.
>
>    paf

Hi Patrik, folks,
   I don't think Richard was mixing them up - but they can be used together
and they do have a similar chance of screwing up.

One could use a provisioning system to write lots of individual "hard coded"
entries for each of the numbers in a range (with our without a "greedy" regexp)
[as has been proposed by the US ENUMF for area code splits, if I 
understand aright]
or you could write a single DNS wildcard entry with a "greedy regexp" to mean
everything in this range goes to here,
or you could write a single DNS wildcard entry with a more complex 
regexp (either
as a gateway locator or to support other goals). I've seen all of these cases.
So far I haven't seen a non-terminal, but I live in hope.

The issue I can see with a DNS wildcard is that the entry will be 
processed IF there
isn't a delegation, and IF there is no more specific matching entry 
"under" the wildcard;
IF so then it might "fire" for an incomplete number. Thus, depending 
on the TechC's
intentions, wildcards need to be considered in detail before trying 
to use them.
Loaded shotgun - do not juggle unless very practiced.

As a *separate* issue, regexps can be fun as well - hands up all who have
populated an ENUM zone with an incorrect regexp, resulting in completely
the wrong URI - mine's up (several times :).
Loaded pistols - juggle only in SG2 meetings.

all the best,
   Lawrence
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.

--
Registered Office: Roke Manor Research Ltd, Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell,
Berkshire. RG12 8FZ

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum