Subject: [Enum] DNSSEC and Wildcards

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:02:58 +0200

Dear all,
I am nit an expert in DNSSEC and Wildcards, but as far as I know
wildcards are used widespread with MX records
If there is a problem with DNSSEC and wildcards, this is definitely
NOT an (only) ENUM problem.
 
IMHO this problem should be solved in DNSSEC and not in the
ENUM WG.
 
If wildcards is an allowed procedure in DNS, it can 
be used in ENUM. If not, it should be banned in all applications.
 
I really do not understand these arguments like: yes wildcards are 
there, but you should not use them, or only as last resort and if
you consider DNSSEC later you shouldnt use them at all, bla bla.
 
As far as I now there is an RFC allowing wildcards and this RFC is not obsoleted yet.
 
Richard
PS: Patrik, could you please forward this in plain text to Jim ;-)
 
z{�����x%��^��z��m��?�0�'�~���f��f��X��)ߣ���

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:06:47 +0200

On tisdag, jul 8, 2003, at 00:02 Europe/Stockholm, Stastny Richard 

> wildcards are used widespread with MX records

No, they are not. People using wildcards for MX in most cases (a) don't 
know enough about DNS and (b) use wildcards instead of fixing their 
provisioning systems.

The only place they are used is when the MX record refer to a gateway 
(to X.400 or UUCP) where the other side of the gateway is managing a 
number of (sub-) domains, and it is impossible to point all these 
domains in DNS with individual MX records to the media gateway.

Note the word "impossible". I really mean it.

The wildcard have so many negative consequences they should not be used.

I have _NEVER_ seen this for any of the examples for ENUM and E.164. 
Never. No one is even close.

    paf

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 02:12:59 -0700

Richard and all,

  I agree DNSSEC and wildcards should be solved in the scope
of the non-existant work of late of the DNSSEC WG.  However
moving forward with ENUM is directly dependent on that
work being completed...

Stastny Richard wrote:

> z{¦™¨¥Šx%ŠË^žé¢z×è®m¶›?ÿ0Ö'~Šàþf¢–f§þX¬¶)ß£÷§um==

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 131k members/stakeholders strong!)
"Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
    Pierre Abelard
===============================================================
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
E-Mail [email-masked]
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801