Subject: [Enum] partial numbers proposed text changes

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Feb 2003 13:51:57 -0500

The two issues that were discussed in the meeting were DNSSEC wording
and partial E.164 numbers. I'm addressing them seperately for thread
management. This message concerns the partial numbers issue only. The
proposed changes are to delete Section 2.6 entirely. The following text
is added as a second paragraph to the beginning of Section 2:

--
ENUM is only applicable for E.164 numbers. ENUM compliant applications
MUST only query DNS for what it believes is an E.164 number. This
implies applications MAY send DNS queries when, for example, a user
mistypes a number in a user interface. Because of this risk for
collissions, the flag E2U in the service field MUST NOT be used for
non-E.164 numbers.
--

There was a good deal of concensus over this text. There was some
attempt to explain further the meaning of the word 'believes' and how
that interacted with the actual E.164 standard. The gist was that the
application should make an effort to ensure that the number is valid
according to the E.164 specification. Since it is impossible for an
application to have perfect knowledge of all numbering plans, the word
'believe' means that the application has done its best effort to
sanitize the numbers it queries for. The document authors are looking
for text from those that correctly expresses this concept in a way that
preserves the overall concept expressed in the above text.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:04:40 +0200

Michael Mealling writes:

 > MUST only query DNS for what it believes is an E.164 number. 

... for a syntaxtically correct E.164 number.

 > The gist was that the
 > sanitize the numbers it queries for. 

it is a very bad idea for an application to try to analyze if the number
is valid according to a certain numbering plan, since once the numbering
plans change, the application must be changed.  in finland, for example,
the numbering plan is changing almost yearly.

thus the above proposal for the text.

-- juha