Subject: AW: AW: AW: [Enum] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-enum-rfc2916bis-04.txt

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 05:46:18 +0100

>You do not have perfect knowledge of the future uses and implementation
>requires of ENUM based applications.

I have to admit, no I have not. But my problem currently is to explain

normal people all over the world how ENUM is intended to work in

principle. Your examples are not very helpful in this regard, especially if

I have troubles to understand them myself ;-) They a way off the basics.

Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Mar 2003 23:52:39 -0500

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 23:46, Stastny Richard wrote:
> principle. 

I understand. But what you have to explain to them is that 80% of the
time its pretty simple, but 20% of the time it can get complicated.

> Your examples are not very helpful in this regard, especially if

Exactly. If all you're interested in is the basics then I'm sure what
I'm saying is frustrating. You don't want to have to deal with anything
complicated if you can at all help it. But what I'm suggesting isn't
complicated to implement: simply take all the NAPTRs you received and
put them in order based on the Order field. That's a fairly simple thing
to do. The complexity is an emergent property. The algorithm is simple,
but when you run certain things through it, it can appear complex. I
implemented the URI resolution version of this algorithm in about a
hundred lines of code. The part dealing with the Order field was about 2
lines (using a built in sorter). 

I'm going to try my best to get you some examples of the things you can
do with this if you just implement the algorithm. But I'm concerned that
you wont' find them compelling if I'm not delivering products next week
using them....

-MM