Subject: AW: AW: [Enum] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-enum-rfc2916bis-04.txt

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 05:12:37 +0100

MM wrote

>NO. This stuff is extremely important to how the DDDS algorithm works
>and is based on many other applications that ENUM is extremely similar
>to. At this point many here have extremely simplistic views of what
>their ENUM applications will be like. But I can guarantee you that they
>won't remain that simplistic for very long. If this core algorithm stuff
>isn't right then the future pain will be horrible.

Last IETF I somehow got the impression that many here (as you state
above) had the extremely simplistic view that an ENUM domain contains
only ONE NAPTR record with a sip URI, so you do not need any order
or preference at all. Is it this what you are talking about?
 
On the other hand, I did not see any real example in any real
implementations where the order is really needed.

regards

Richard Stastny

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Mar 2003 23:29:49 -0500

> or preference at all. Is it this what you are talking about?

Yep. And that has very little impact on the zone maintainer. The issue
here is how a client gets implemented. Its perfectly fine for a server
to have only one record but its not fine for a client to act as though
no one will ever do otherwise. A server can change the zone data
whenever they like. But if we get the clients wrong you'll always be
hamstrung. For the longest time we had problems with DNS implementations
that fell on their face when presented with unknown RR types. We're
still hamstrung by the getXbyY APIs that assumed incorrectly that A
records was all anyone cared about.

If you aren't writing client code for public consumption then you can
ignore everything I'm saying here. But if you are then your code is
going to have to live not only with your zones, but others as well.

> implementations where the order is really needed.

You do not have perfect knowledge of the future uses and implementation
requires of ENUM based applications.

-MM