Subject: [Enum] Comments about draft-brandner-enumservice-msg-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:10:16 +0200

Hi,

I have some comments regarding the I-D
draft-brandner-enumservice-msg-00.txt.

In sections 5.2 and 5.3 the services "SMS" and "EMS" are proposed to
be registered.

EMS uses the same infrastructure and bearer as SMS -- In fact EMS in
practise just means that some additional content has been standardised
to be carried over the SMS bearer besides plain text or unspecified
binary data.

However, the problem is that EMS was extended with new functionality
over a period of time with several releases of the specification
released by 3GPP. A terminal supporting the 3GPP REL-99 version of
TS23.040 (Technical Specification that defines both SMS and the
additional EMS content) is not able to show or render new types of
content defined in 3GPP REL-5 version of TS23.040. Also, the EMS
additions have been defined in such a way that one can do cherry
picking -- only choose to implement certain features.

Based on this I don't see much use to have the separate service "ems"
defined. Your only safe bet is that the recipient supports SMS.

For a "fascinating" reading exercise, the latest version of TS23.040
can be found from
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/latest/Rel-5/23_series/23040-551.zip

I went through last year's mail archives and couldn't find any
discussion about adding EMS as a service type, but I apologize if this
opens up an old, buried thread.

Another comment I have is about the sentence

   Note that an indication of MMS can be taken as implying that the
   recipient is capable of receiving EMS or SMS messages at this
   address.

in 5.4. I don't think this statement is necessarily true. What should
be said here is that MMS can be used as an alternative to deliver an
SMS RP-DATA RPDU if for example the SMS bearer is not supported.
While in practise all terminals supporting MMS today support SMS as well,
it might not necessarily be the case in the future.

[from TS23.140, MMS Stage 2, version 5.5.0:

5.1.2.1 Interoperability with SMS

    In order to guarantee SMS interoperability, SMS 3GPP TS 24.011
[11] RP-DATA RPDU encapsulation defined in clause 7.3.1 shall be
supported. MIME type "application/vnd.3gpp.sms" shall be used for this
purpose. In order to maintain backward compatibility, MIME type
"application/x-sms" shall be supported by the MMS UA for
mobile-terminated messages only.

The spec can be found from
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/latest/Rel-5/23_series/23140-550.zip
]

As last thing, a short comment about abbreviations: The E in EMS is
Enhanced, not Extended, and MMS is "Multimedia Messaging Service".

Best regards,
Ville Warsta
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum