Subject: [Enum] FW: VISIONng-Pulver Press Release ENUM

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:00:19 -0800

News on ENUM trial...
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Stastny Richard [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 2:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: FW: VISIONng-Pulver Press Release ENUM

FYI 

Bild (Metafile)       
Contact: Carl Ford
pulver.com
Phone: +1.631.547.0800
Fax: +1.631.293.3996

Cell:+1.631.839.2626115 Broadhollow Road 
Suite 225 
Melville, NY 11747 
 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] 
 <file://www.pulver.com/fwd> www.pulver.com/fwdVISIONng 
  
Press Release 

VISIONng expands Worldwide ENUM service to the states and beyond: The
deployment of the International country code "87810" will be offered to VoIP
customers around the world by Internet Telephony Service Providers.

US demonstrations planned at Spring VON in San Jose (April 1-3). 
Sophia Antipolis, France, February 10th, 2003: VISIONng (
<http://www.visionng.org> http://www.visionng.org) announced today that a US
trial of ENUM, an Internet Standard which uses the Internet Domain Name
System [DNS] to reconcile telephone numbers, will be deployed for use with
the Global Country Code "87810".  ENUM is a standard that can also be used
for resolving requests to one universal phone number.  Telephone numbers are
based on ITU's E.164 country codes and therefore are considered national
resources.  National Regulatory Authorities must designate ENUM Tier 1
registries for their national phone numbers.  ENUM is a IETF standard and
this service will use the ITU/IETF agreed upon e164.arpa root as specified
in RFC2916.  The "87810" country code is administered as specified by ITU
SG2.  Essentially, ENUM allows phone numbers to be looked up the same way
the web finds a domain name.

Telesoft and pulver.com have announced their intention to offer ENUM
capabilities to their users, expanding services beyond traditional service
providers.

Vincent Bergin Director of Telesoft, a service provider based in the UK
stated that Telesoft will offer "87810" services to their International
customers.  "At Telesoft we see the opportunity to offer customers new
telephony services regardless of their existing telecom provider or country
boundaries.  This will enable enterprises and their customers to benefit
from a cost effective and unified global service.

"In Austria we have conducted national and international trials in the last
year", said Richard Stastny Chair of the Austrian ENUM trial platform (
<http://enum.nic.at> http://enum.nic.at), and we have seen the benefits of a
universal telephone number with Telekom Austria as ENUM Registrar".  Under
this scenario the "87810" ENUM entry is used for directing the call to the
proper medium.  Faxes, e-mail, Instant Messaging, and all forms of
telecommunication can be managed by this single powerful tool.  

An affiliated company to pulver.com's Free World Dial-up service will become
an ENUM registrar enabling Free World Dialup (FWD) participants to maintain
an ENUM entry that will enable a universal service.  The use of the "87810"
can also be used for vanity numbers, particularly for people who want to
associate their Voice over IP (VoIP) gateways at home to their existing
United States "1+" phone numbers.  

The test plan calls for pulver.com's Free World Dialup community to be the
first one offered this experimental service in the US.  "FWD is an open
invitation to anyone with broadband Internet access to experience the great
quality available today worldwide using broadband Internet Telephony", said
Jeff Pulver, recognized Guru of the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
Industry.  

"By allowing FWD participants to take an "87810" country code assignment we
are making a statement that the PSTN and the Internet are global assets.
The backbone of the Internet has made it possible for me to communicate with
people just about anywhere in the world, and people should be able to reach
me regardless of my physical geographic location. On the Internet with Free
World Dialup, you can call a person,
not a location. Services like Vonage, enable subscribers to use numbers from
the North American Numbering Plan with area codes from the different parts
of the US regardless of their location.  "87810" is a global numbering
resource, so the concept of area code is no longer relevant.

At the Spring 2003 VON conference (  <http://www.von.com> http://www.von.com
) in San Jose April 1-3, Telekom Austria and Free World Dialup will show a
global number that is not using "borrowed" numbers from existing number pool
allocations, but with the use of ENUM, the ability for Internet Telephony
finally to be a peer to the traditional telephone line."

"ENUM is much more than a single phone number; it makes it possible to truly
marry Internet and PSTN signaling for the purpose of stating preferred
communication media.

According to Harald Hauser, Vice-Chair of VISIONng the value of ENUM is now
being realized and it is getting considerable traction throughout the
industry.

Contrary to concerns about ENUM will be used to invade privacy, ENUM as
delivered by the VISIONng members, allows the end user to have more control
of the when where and how of communication.  For example, I can set in place
my preferences for family to be able to see my presence on Instant
Messaging, friends to leave messages on my private e-mail and coworkers to
reach me on my cell.  I can even give a method of override via SMS to people
who need to reach me in emergencies", said Herwart Wermescher chairman of
VISIONng, and Solution Leader for BearingPoint VoIP.

Carl Ford/Jeff Pulver 
FWD 
115 Broadhollow Road 
Suite 225 
Melville, NY 11747 
Phone +1.631.547.0800 
Fax: +1.631.293.3996 
Mobile: +1.631.839.2626 
 <mailto:[email-masked]> mailto:[email-masked] 
 <file://www.pulver.com> www.pulver.com 

Herwart Wermescher  
Chairman VISIONng 
BearingPoint  
Solution Leader INFONOVA Solutions 
Phone +43 316 8003 1101 
Mobile +43 664 25 65 180  
Fax +43 316 8003 1480 
 <mailto:[email-masked]>
mailto:[email-masked] 
 <file://www.bearingpoint.com> www.bearingpoint.com 

Harald Hauser 
Vicechair VISIONng 
Telcordia 
444 Hoes Lane 
RRC-4D226, 
Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 
 <mailto:[email-masked]> mailto:[email-masked] 
 <file://www.telcordia.com> www.telcordia.com 

 For Release 1 p.m. GMT, February 10, 2003 
       
Bild (Metafile)       

Bild (Metafile)       

Richard STASTNY 
OeFEG/Telekom Austria 
Box 147, A-1103 Vienna, Austria 
tel:+43 664 420 4100 
fax:+43 1 797 80 13 
 <mailto:[email-masked]> mailto:[email-masked]