Subject: [Enum] Consensus on language DNSSEC

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:14:31 -0500

In the interest of moving things along I'm wondering if there is consensus 
on Mike's language here or would someone like to propose alternatives text 
to the security considerations...

I want to repeat that we need to go through the document carefully since 
for any number of previously stated reasons we need to bring 2916bis to 
last call on or before SF.

Are there any other outstanding issues we need to cover...

Is it appropriate to discuss how applications should process the NAPTR 
records.. in what order

1. dont peek ahead at the URL

2. its still unclear to me the how order - preference should be processed

>to this:
>
>    As this system is built on top of DNS, one can not be sure that the
>    information one gets back from DNS is more secure than any other DNS
>    query. Being the only extant mechanism for securing DNS responses,
>    DNSSEC is the obvious solution for ensuring the security of ENUM
>    responses. However, at the time of publication of this document the
>    DNSSEC standard has not been finished. Until that time ENUM's use of
>    DNSSEC is merely recommended. Once DNSSEC is published as a Proposed
>    Standard, ENUM based systems SHOULD fully implement DNSSEC. At the
>    point at which DNSSEC becomes a Draft Standard, it MUST be
>    implemented by ENUM compliant systems.
>
>    Additionally, due to the fact that some parts of the ENUM system may
>    be using DNSSEC before others, resolvers MUST be capable of handling
>    responses containing DNSSEC-related RR types even in cases where the
>    resolver or client application is unwilling or unable to perform
>    DNSSEC validation.
>
>
>-MM
>
>_______________________________________________
>enum mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:51:21 -0800

Mike's language provides flexibility by addressing the current concerns with
DNSSEC readiness for deployment and the long term recommendation for
security.  Let's accept it and move on.....

Kevin

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 1:15 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Enum] Consensus on language DNSSEC
> 
> 
> 
>