Subject: Re: AW: [Enum] One Number application

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:21:45 -0500

At 04:38 PM 1/29/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Penn,:
>
>You wrote:
> >ENUM is opt-in on both calling and called sides. So it's up to an 
> originating network whether
> >to query ENUM or not. you can't count on such a query being done.
>
>As I have learned at the last IETF meeting, opt-in is not the common view 
>in ENUM WG.

huh...

where did you get that impression .. I know of no one suggesting other than 
opt-in for public ENUM... as you correctly point out there may be uses of 
ENUM technology in a operator environment ..but that is outside the scope 
of 2916

>Some even did not know what I was talking about.
>
>regards
>Richard Stastny
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>enum mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:16:38 +0000

At 12:21 pm -0500 29/1/03, Richard Shockey wrote:
>>As I have learned at the last IETF meeting, opt-in is not the 
>>common view in ENUM WG.
>
>huh...
>
>where did you get that impression .. I know of no one suggesting 
>other than opt-in for public ENUM... as you correctly point out 
>there may be uses of ENUM technology in a operator environment ..but 
>that is outside the scope of 2916
>

Hi Rich, folks,
   I believe that Richard is talking about opt-in for the Originating
Operator (i.e the Operator can choose whether or not to do an ENUM
lookup during processing of a call from an originating [PSTN] terminal).
That resulted in blank faces in the last IETF meeting - I remember
Richard having to explain what he meant.

Translating for North American, the outgoing SIP proxy can choose
whether or not to do a lookup of the number passed from from the
UAC in the To:/Rqst-URI fields; the UAC may not be able to perform
the ENUM lookup itself, so the proxy acts as its agent.

all the best,
   Lawrence
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum