Subject: [Enum] Meeting Minutes of IETF ENUM WG - IETF 55 Atlanta

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:00:35 -0500

Sorry about this being late ..if there any comments or revisions to this 
let me know ASAP.

Telephone Number Mapping WG (enum)

Monday, November 18 at 1300-1500

=================================

Chair(s):

Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]>
Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:
Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/enum/

AGENDA BASHING (5 min)

Agenda NOTE:  The unresolved issues in the WG all relate in one way or 
another to the structure of the enumservice field and what information 
should or should not be included and in which order.

MEETING NOTES

The chairs opened the meeting at 1300:

Welcome comments from Richard Shockey , introduction of scribe.( 
[email-masked] )

Lawrence Convoy asked to rearrange agenda for privacy and security 
following status of RFC2916bis and drop consideration of ENUM URI document 
which will move to IPTEL WG.  Change accepted.

1. Patrik Faltstrom presenting status of RFC2916bis:

Outstanding issues:

A. IAB is to coordinate with the ITU-T TSB if the technical contact for the 
domain e164.arpa is to change and delegations within the zone e164.arpa

B. ENUM servicefield

What should the the RFC say:

E2U+(foo:bar)??

Jon Peterson  - comment - felt that Yokahama had defined this and there 
would not be a need for further discussion.

Lawrence Conroy - comment - concern that list discussion was caused by 
misconceptions of what enumservices compendium draft was meant to accomplish

Micheal Mealling comments that the ENUM entry is but a pointer.  If the 
service is unknown then go to IANA for instructions.

  Enumservicefield = 'E2U'<enumservices>

* Extended discussion of structure, following are valid.

* E2U+voice

* E2U+sip

* E2U+sip:voice

* E2U+voice:sip

* Expected format = E2U+foo+foo

Stress that this is a work in progress.

2. Shockey - Privacy and Security Considerations

Shockey noted that many of the discussions over enumservice syntax centered 
on perceptions of what is ENUM and what it is not.

  A. Is it a service control point?

Roughly analogous to a SCP in the PSTN that does nothing but number translation

B. Is it Calling party control of communications?

More information in entered into the DNS about the endpoint in order for 
calling party to make a specific selection before call setup is initiated.

  C. Is it Called party control of communications?

Less information displayed (personal information obscured) and SIP proxy or 
Gatekeeper controlls the course and progress of the session.

Called party control assumes greater privacy, but all models are valid.

ENUM security is an issue that needs additional work.

Suggestions or text welcome

Discussion immediately centers on the attempt to resolve the enumservice 
field ABNF syntax.

Major Item:

Chairs ask for consensus.

Patrik Faltstrom suggests the following ABNF syntax.

Servicefield

Service_field = "E2U" 1*(enumservice)
Enumservice = "+" type 0*(subtype)
Type = 1*32(alpha/digit)
Subtype = ":" 1*32(alpha/digit)

This is proposed syntax.
Chairs call for consensus

Hum of acceptance. 1346 18-Nov-02

Type and therefore subtype is registered with IANA and the registration 
itself specify what to expect

If we register "A: and "B:C", can we implicitly to "A:C"?  answer: NO!

3. Presentation: Jon Peterson  SIP Registration document

Presentation focus on use of only SIP address of record in the regexp

Looking for direction as to proceed or not.

Chairs ask for consensus.

This is now going to be an official ENUM WG document.
Hum consensus for.

Additional documentation to be provided in SIPPING WG.

4.Presentation Orit Levin H.323 Registration Document

Considerable presentation of the time lines and contingent dependencies on 
H.323 ENUM service document in both ITU and IPTEL WGs.

Comment from the floor: The presentation seems to exceed the charter of 
ENUM and it is believed core documents should be discussed in IPTEL WG.

H.323 ENUM registration document will stay with ENUM WGB.

Chairs ask for consensus.
Hum consensus for ..document now official WG document

  5. Presentation L. Convoy

Calling Party control scheme:   Contends that during lookup originator will 
scan NAPTRs for terminating entity.  First presented service is "Electronic 
Business Card"

This has spurred discussion as this is an available service and is not 
following the core use of ENUM.

Extended discussion of document and noted problems of complexity in what is 
valid and what is not.

Chairs note: This document does not appear to have consensus as a work 
group document.
Chairs call for consensus

Rejected by hum.

6. Addition to agenda:  Presentation:  IFAX Service of ENUM -

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-toyoda-enum-faxservice-00.txt

Claudio Allocchio the co-chair of the IETF FAX WG gives a brief 
presentation on ENUM servicefield registration document for FAX.

Consensus and agreement among both WG chairs that this document remains 
with the FAX WG.

Meeting Ends

#############################################

DOCUMENTS DISCUSSED AT THIS MEETING

1.  RFC2916bis -0x REV - Faltstrom/Mealing
2.  J.Peterson
enumservice registration for SIP Addresses-of-Record

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-peterson-enum-sip-00.txt

  3.  O. Levin
ENUM Service Registration for H.323 URL

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-levin-enum-h323-00.txt

4.    R. Stastny & Co  on behalf of R. Brandner
enumservices compendium

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brandner-enumservices-compendium-00.txt

  5.  R. Shockey
Privacy and Security Considerations in ENUM

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum