Subject: [Enum] Help - A question about ENUM

From: Li Tianbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:26:39 +0800

自然 

Dear sirs,

Could you help me with the full name of ENUM? Someone said it is Telephone NUmbering Mapping, someone said Telephone Number URI Mapping, some one said Electronic Numbering Mapping, and someone said E.164 Number URI Mapping.

I think E.164 Number URI Mapping is better.

I searched from your Website, but cannot find the answer. 

I'll be appreciated to your help and reply.

Li Tianbin
From China

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:22:44 +0100

On fredag, nov 22, 2002, at 05:26 Europe/Stockholm, Li Tianbin wrote:

> Could you help me with the full name of ENUM? Someone said it is 
> Telephone NUmbering Mapping, someone said Telephone Number URI 
> Mapping, some one said Electronic Numbering Mapping, and someone said 
> E.164 Number URI Mapping.
>  

To be honest, the word ENUM didn't come out as an acronym. It is a 
"short word, easy to pronounce in English". Afterwards explanations has 
been added.

The full name of the working group in the IETF is "Telephone Number 
Mappning". The full name of the protocol is "The E.164 to URI DDDS 
Application (ENUM)".

In presentations I do, I say "Telephone number mappning".

     Regards, Patrik

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:27:45 -0500

> To be honest, the word ENUM didn't come out as an acronym.

ENUM of course is from the theory of error codes.

The original meaning was "Episodic NUMbness"

The original authors were struggling with carpel tunnel syndrome, which
produced localized numbness in the periphery of the nervous system in
the production of the original specification, and with management, which
produced generalized numbness at the root of the central nervous system.

Eric