Subject: [Enum] some general thoughts on enumservice compendium

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:23:58 -0500

my mailer seems to have a problem with "e" vs "i"  this got sent to the 
general IETF list again ..

***
Atlanta is coming up and I'd like to see a more structured and focused 
discussion of the issues surrounding this draft and its relationship to the 
h.323 and SIP registration draft ...in addition it can be assumed that the 
FAX WG and VPIM WG have their own thoughts about how these issues should be 
treated.

In the first order of business I'd like to get WG consensus that both the 
Levin H.323 registration draft and the SIP registration draft should be 
ENUM WG documents immediately. I think these are necessary for upcoming 
trials etc and if we have consensus now that is one item we do not need to 
deal with in Atlanta.

Second IMHO (personal opinion here) the general concept in the  enumservice 
compendium document seem to be the concept of descriptors or hints as to 
the nature, possible location and function of a particular end point.

That said I'm wondering if we can separate the issue here to a more generic 
enumservice concept and enumservice descriptor.

E2U+enumservice:enumservicedescriptor:enumservicedescriptor:etc.

There are complications here since IMHO

E2U+fax and
E2U+tel:fax  might be considered the same thing.

Obviously E2U+sip and
E2U+sip:voice    are the same etc.

Wearing my WG Chair hat ..I'm not going to say that one syntax is better 
that the other ..as some of you may have noted in my Security and Privacy 
issues draft I at least postulate that both the minimalist and maximum 
views of the issue have practical uses.

I havent seen any comments on my draft ..so

Thoughts etc?

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum