Subject: RE: [Enum] SIP as SRS questions

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:52:44 -0500

A
>Finally, many features entail extension support. Extension negotiation
>includes the use of Require/Supported headers and the like. Support for
>particular extensions may be necessary to use features in intermediaries or
>endpoints (i.e. hBh or e2e).
>
>Incidentally, my SIP enumservice draft discusses (or at least mentions)
>caller preferences, SDP and extension support in this context. I'm happy to
>talk about this Atlanta, if there's some interest.

please do it is additionally relevant to some observations I made in my 
Privacy and Security considerations ID.

Privacy in the ENUM system is, in part ,about who controls how a 
communications session is to be established and what data is exposed 
necessary to create that session.

I discussed the concept of a SRS as being particularly relevant in 
minimizing the amount of data exposed in the DNS.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 00:32:15 +0000

At 3:52 pm -0500 7/11/02, Richard Shockey wrote:
>please do it is additionally relevant to some observations I made in 
>my Privacy and Security considerations ID.
>
Hi Folks,
  To which I add my thanks for these mails. Very useful.

*   Jon, could you spell out what features require extensions
(other than requiring callerprefs itself, of course)?

Is there an example where a feature list requires extensions?
I didn't see this in the sip-02 draft. I'm being dense here, but...

Also, I have one issue in the way that callerpref feature
lists will be used with SIP users.

*   Jonathon, it seems that callerprefs feature lists are
similar in spirit to the compendium draft - a way for the
caller and callee to agree on the feature/"teleservice".

The cluster of different elements listed in section 7 of
callerprefs-06, taken together, can specify a communications
resource capability in some detail. However, this seems VERY
different from the enumservice definition template in 2916bis.

How do the SIP registrant and the caller agree on a common
set of feature strings for a given feature/"teleservice"?

all the best,
    Lawrence
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.