Subject: [Enum] H.323 enumservice registration ID

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:08:34 -0500

This document has gone in the queue...I'm making it available early for 
your review ...

I'll be adding Orit and this Draft to the ENUM WG agenda as well  along 
with Jon Peterson who has also posted a SIP enumservice registration document.

many many thanks to Orit for getting this ready in time for Atlanta

############################

    Internet Draft                                              O. Levin
    Document: draft-levin-enum-h323-00.txt                     RADVISION

    Expires: April 2003                                     October 2002

                   ENUM Service Registration for H.323 URL

Status of this Memo

    This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance
    with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

    Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
    Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
    other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
    Drafts.

    Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
    months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents
    at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
    reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

    The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
         http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt
    The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
         http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Abstract

    The H.323 specification [2] defines a means for building multimedia
    communication services over an arbitrary Packet Based Network,
    including the Internet. This document registers an ENUM service for
    H.323 according to specifications and guidelines in RFC2916bis [3].

    Levin                 Expires: April 2003                        1
                   ENUM Service Registration for H.323 URL

Table of Contents

STATUS OF THIS MEMO......................................................1

ABSTRACT...............................................................1

INTRODUCTION...........................................................3

ENUM SERVICE REGISTRATION.................................................3

THE E2U+H323 ENUM SERVICE..................................................3

CONVENTIONS USED IN THIS DOCUMENT..........................................3

SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS..................................................3

IANA CONSIDERATIONS......................................................4

AUTHOR'S ADDRESSES.......................................................4

REFERENCES.............................................................4

    Levin                 Expires: March 2003                        2
                   ENUM Service Registration for H.323 URL

Introduction

    The H.323 specification [2] defines a means for building multimedia
    communication services over an arbitrary Packet Based Network,
    including the Internet. When H.323 is used in the context of the
    Internet, it would be useful to take advantages of such services as
    domain name system (DNS) and ENUM in order to help facilitate the
    completion of multimedia calls.

    This document registers an ENUM service for H.323 according to
    specifications and guidelines in RFC2916bis [3].

ENUM Service Registration

    As defined in [3], the following is a template covering information
    needed for the registration of the enumservice specified in this
    document.

    -  Service Name: "E2U+H323"
    -  URI Scheme(s): "h323:"
    -  Functional Specification: see "The E2U+H323 ENUM Service" section
    -  Security considerations: see "Security Considerations" section
    -  Intended usage: COMMON
    -  Author: Orit Levin
    -  Any other information that the author deems interesting: None

The E2U+H323 ENUM Service

    This document defines the "E2U+H323" service to be used in the
    "service" sub-field of the "enumservice" as defined in [3].

    The H.323 related ENUM record MUST be populated with a standard
    H.323 URL as defined in [2]. This URL MAY include parameters
    specifying the specific protocols and the transport means the H.323
    entity supports.

    The H.323 entity MUST fully comply with the procedures defined in [3]
    for both record retrieval and processing by the DNS client.

    If, as a result of the ENUM DNS lookup, an H.323 URL matching local
    policies and capabilities is retrieved, the procedure defined in
    section "Address Resolution Procedure using DNS" of [5] SHOULD be
    performed.

Conventions used in this document

    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
    "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
    this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [1].

Security Considerations

    The h323-URL information, once populated in the DNS, effectively
    becomes publicly accessible. The access to the H.323 destinations

    Levin                 Expires: March 2003                        3
                   ENUM Service Registration for H.323 URL

    (published using ENUM) can be secured by techniques and procedures
    defined in H.235 [4] - the security framework for H.323. The
    framework defines means for achieving integrity, authentication,
    non-repudiation, encryption, etc. for H.323 calls.

IANA Considerations

    This document registers the "E2U+H323" ENUM service according to
    specifications and guidelines in RFC2916bis [3] and the definitions
    in this document.

Author's Addresses

    Orit Levin
    RADVISION
    266 Harristown Road          Phone:  +1-201-689-6330
    Glen Rock, NJ USA            Email:  [email-masked]

References

    1  RFC 2119 Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
       Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.
    2  "Packet-based multimedia communications systems", ITU-T
       Recommendation H.323, Nov 2000.
    3  Faltstrom, P. and M. Mealling, "The E.164 to URI DDDS
       Application", draft-ietf-enum-rfc2916bis-01 (work in progress),
       June 2002.
    4  "Security and encryption for H-Series(H.323 and other H.245-
       based) multimedia terminals", ITU-T Recommendation H.235, Nov
       2000.
    5  "Use of DNS in H.323 Systems", ITU-T Recommendation H.323 Annex O
       (work in progress).

    Levin

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:36:59 +0000

At 12:08 pm -0500 28/10/02, Richard Shockey wrote:
>This document has gone in the queue...I'm making it available early 
>for your review ...
>
>I'll be adding Orit and this Draft to the ENUM WG agenda as well 
>along with Jon Peterson who has also posted a SIP enumservice 
>registration document.
>

Hi Rich, Folks,

I note that Orit's draft refers [5] to the "extensive" contribution TD-WP2-0057
put into the SG16 meeting last week ( I understood that the outcome was that
this was likely to be carved out into separate documents and/or reconsidered).

- is this draft intended as one of those parts?
- is the h323: URI spec coming out anytime soon?

all the best,
     Lawrence
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:57:05 -0500

>- is the h323: URI spec coming out anytime soon?

I'm not the person to ask ... I've cc Orit as well on this note.

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:06:18 -0500

Rich,

Did you get a -00 privacy I-D in before this morning's cut-off?

Eric

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:53:38 -0500

>Did you get a -00 privacy I-D in before this morning's cut-off?

Yes.. it may take a while for it to make it through so....

##############################

       IETF ENUM WG
       Internet Draft                                       Richard Shockey
       Document:                                                NeuStar,Inc
       draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt
       Expires: March 2003                                     October 2002

                  Privacy and Security Considerations in ENUM

    Status of this Memo

       This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance
       with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 [1].

       Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
       months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
       documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
       Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as "work
       in progress."

    Copyright Notice

       Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2002). All Rights Reserved.

    Abstract

       Many individuals and groups have expressed concerns about the
       privacy and security of personal information to be established in
       implementations of RFC 2916. This document discusses some of the
       technical as well as security and privacy considerations national
       implementations of ENUM should consider.

       This is a work in progress. Input from security and privacy
       experts is welcome.

    <Shockey>                Expires - April 2003                 [Page 1]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

       Discussion of this document is welcomed on the IETF ENUM mailing
       list.

       General Discussion:[email-masked]
       To Subscribe: [email-masked]
       In Body: subscribe
       Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/enum/

       The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL
       NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and
       "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in
       RFC-2119 [2].

    Table of Contents

       1)   Introduction...............................................2
       2)   THE RATIONALE FOR ENUM.....................................3
       3)   THREE VIEWS OF ENUM........................................4
          3.1 NUMBER TRANSLATION DATABASE...............................4
          3.2 CALLED PARTY CONTROL OF ENUM ENABLED COMMUNICAITONS.......5
          3.2.1 THE USE OF REAL AND OR ALIAS NAMES IN A SIP ADDRESS-OF-
          RECORD........................................................6
          3.3 CALLING PARTY CONTROL OF COMMUNICATIONS...................7
          3.4 OBSERVATIONS ON CALLED PARTY VS CALLING PARTY CONTROL.....8
       4)   WHAT INFORMATION IS NECESSARY FOR ENUM REGISTRATION?.......8
       5)   PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION CONSIDERATIONS IN THE NORTH
       AMERICAN CONTEXT.................................................9
       6)   PRIVACY and DATA PROTECTIONS CONSIDERATIONS IN THE EUROPEAN
       COMMUNITY CONTEXT...............................................10
       7)   SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS IN ENUM...........................10
          7.1 SECURITY OF THE DNS......................................10
          7.2 SECURITY OF ENUM PROVISIONING INFRASTRUCTURE.............10
       8)   References................................................10
       9)   Acknowledgments...........................................11
       10)  Author's Addresses........................................11

    1) Introduction

    Readers of this Internet Draft are expected to have a working knowledge 
of
    the technology and principals embodied in [RFC2916bis].

    Many individuals groups have expressed concerns about the privacy
    and data security implications of ENUM as it moves forward toward
    global deployment. In that context there are several different views

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 2]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    of what ENUM is, what it does, and how a global ENUM system may
    affect personal privacy and the security of data contained in the
    global ENUM system.

    It is important to note that ENUM is first and foremost the DNS.
    Specifically ENUM is a system that translates E.164 phone numbers
    [ITU-T] into Fully Qualified Domain Names that can be queried to
    return a specific set of data (URI’s)in the form of NAPTR records
    [RFC 3403]. The global and distributed nature of the DNS means
    delegation and control can occur at any point within the ENUM
    defined FQDN. Many entities, service providers, enterprises and
    indeed some consumers could, control their own DNS servers for ENUM
    registered domain names.

    There are two forms of data required for the ENUM system to work.
    First is the actual data to be entered into the global ENUM DNS
    system, the NAPTR records, that can be accessed by any IP end point
    any where in the world, without restriction and second, the data
    that will be required to maintain appropriate authentication, valid
    registration, administrative and technical contact for DNS servers.
    Issues involving domain name registration are well known to the
    privacy and security communities and have continually surfaced in
    context with the Domain Name Registration industry and ICANN
    approved registry-registrar business practices.

    The agreements between the IAB and the ITU over the management and
    control of the e164.arpa namespace [RFC 3026] for those portions of
    the E.164 global numbering plan clearly articulates that the
    administration, management and control of the zones and
    administrative portions of the E.164 plan are nation-state issues
    governed by appropriate national laws and regulations, many of which
    have yet to be determined.

    2) THE RATIONALE FOR ENUM

    Before a discussion of privacy and security issues can be applied to
    various parts of the global ENUM system it is essential to note why
    the IETF technical community developed ENUM, what applications it
    was designed to serve and the implications of those applications for
    privacy and security issues.

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 3]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    Since Telephone Numbers are the global naming and addressing scheme
    for Public Switched Telephony, ENUM was designed to map phone
    numbers with the Internet DNS and its naming and addressing
    conventions (IP numbers and Domain Names). Principally ENUM enables
    the use of phone numbers as identifiers of services defined as URI’s
    on the Internet as well as facilitate the interconnection of systems
    that rely on telephone numbers with those that use URI’s to route
    transactions.

    It is well known that businesses and consumers are very comfortable
    with using telephone numbers for PSTN communications. The E.164
    numbering plan is a well organized and internationally recognized
    system of naming and addressing that is essential to the proper
    functioning of the PSTN. Phone Numbers have the additional advantage
    of being easily understood, are a useful input mechanism on billions
    of terminal devices (telephones) that do not have QWERTY like
    keyboards and, significantly, are linguistically neutral, unlike
    domain names.

    Though it is clear that ENUM can and will be used for service
    routing of applications other than voice, the principal focus of
    attention on ENUM application development has, naturally, been voice
    communications based on SIP [RFC 3261] and ITU developed H.323, and
    the general concept of convergence in IP and PSTN networks.

    3) THREE VIEWS OF ENUM

    Even within the technical community there are different views of
    what ENUM is and what it is designed to accomplish.

     3.1 NUMBER TRANSLATION DATABASE

    One view sees ENUM in the DNS as essentially a benign number
    translation database that exposes on the minimal subset of data
    necessary to establish a connection between two endpoints. This is
    the model we essentially have in the DNS now.  DNS translates the
    URI concept such as http://www.foobar.org to an IP number necessary
    for a client to find a server running HTTP. No other intervention by
    the DNS is necessary.

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 4]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    This is also the function of the DNS in E-mail where the DNS is used
    to locate an MX record for a SMTP server within a domain. No policy
    or personal information is exposed in the DNS beyond a server name.

    This concept is roughly analogous to the concept of a Service
    Control Point within the architecture of the PSTN that provide
    routing data to a circuit switch based on the numeric input of a
    phone number.

    3.2 CALLED PARTY CONTROL OF ENUM ENABLED COMMUNICAITONS

    An emerging view of ENUM is that it enables an advanced form of
    called party control of communications since it is presumed that the
    communications servers at the edge of network are under the
    administrative or operational control of the called party. Called
    party control of those servers permits policy in some form to be
    directly applied to inbound communications irrespective of the
    wishes of the calling party.

    This view is particularly relevant in the case of SIP based
    communication [PETERSON et.al.]. The classic SIP model is based on
    the use of proxies between end point client/user agents that can
    then negotiate information about each other in order to establish a
    session. The calling party has no need to discover the capabilities
    of the called parties end point since those are established during
    the signaling portion of a SIP session using Session Description
    Protocol.

    The called parties proxy can also be used to enforce policy about
    sessions including how, when and from whom to establish sessions.
    The presumption of this model is that only the minimum information
    about an endpoint is necessary to expose in the global DNS, since
    the proxies perform all other forms of session negotiation and
    policy enforcement.

    Consequently it is not necessary to expose in the DNS whether a
    particular SIP endpoint supports voice, instant messaging, video or
    fax or whether that endpoint operates on a wire line or wireless
    connection.

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 5]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    3.3.1 THE USE OF REAL AND OR ALIAS NAMES IN A SIP ADDRESS-OF-RECORD.

    Because SIP can negotiate the session creation between end points,
    it is not necessary expose in the global DNS specific personal
    identification elements, such as a personal name, to establish a
    successful end-to-end SIP connection.

    Information, such as a personal name, is exposed only because an end
    user chooses to do so by configuration of their entries into the
    DNS.

    For example, a classic example of a ENUM response with a SIP URI
    using a personal name might be as follows:

    $ORIGIN 4.3.2.1.6.7.9.8.6.4.e164.arpa.
    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" 
"E2U+sip"      "!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!"

    One alternative method of achieving the same result with out
    exposing a real name is to configure the called parties ENUM DNS
    entries to use other forms of names as aliases. In the following
    example, the identification of the SIP endpoint is configured using
    the generic format "sip:[email-masked]"

    $ORIGIN 4.3.2.1.6.7.9.8.6.4.e164.arpa.
    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+sip"      "!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!"

    OR

    $ORIGIN 4.3.2.1.6.7.9.8.6.4.e164.arpa.
    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+sip"      "!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!"

    Where the user name "anon5616" is randomly selected.

    Notice that the ENUM query only returns information that a SIP proxy
    for the user "4689761234" or "anon5616" exists within the domain
    foobar.se. No personal information is exposed in the global DNS
    other than the domain to which a SIP proxy exists and a form of user
    name.

    From the perspective of the called parties SIP proxy, if properly
    configured, there is no functional difference between
    sip:[email-masked] or
    sip:[email-masked] or
    sip:[email-masked].

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 6]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    All three could accurately describe a unique SIP client or user
    agent and transactions could be routed equally among all three
    names.

    These examples illustrate an alternate view of what is necessary to
    establish a connection between two parties using ENUM and SIP. This
    concept of can easily be applied to many applications which can be
    ENUM enabled.

    An individual may choose give out a form of personal SIP URI using
    their personal on their business card, but there is no practical
    reason this must be entered into the global DNS.

    Current discussion in the IETF ENUM WG have explored the concept of
    indirect resolution to all forms of communications, not just SIP,
    through the use of presence servers or a concept called a Service
    resolution service. Once again the called party who is registering
    their phone number in the global ENUM system would then have control
    of how he or she could be contacted by any method.

    The concept of a Service Resolution Service has not been defined in
    the IETF, however it is within the realm of technical possibility.

    TBD Examples

    3.3 CALLING PARTY CONTROL OF COMMUNICATIONS

    One other view of ENUM wishes to give the calling party the maximum
    control and options over how they wish to contact someone else. The
    preference here is for the maximum amount of information exposed in
    the DNS to permit the calling party the choice of contact
    methodology to the called party.

    Not only are all potential communications endpoints exposed in the
    global DNS but verbose hints to the nature and capabilities of those
    endpoints are described in the NAPTR enumservice field.[BRADNER]

    The ENUM DNS query returns all the available URI’s listed, however
    the in these examples the called party has chosen to display other
    attributes about those services such as voice:home, sip:im ,
    voice:mobile,mailto, etc.

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 7]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    A client application or service parses the NAPTR records and
    displays the various options and the calling party then selects the
    most appropriate option based on their preference and not that of
    the called party.

    $ORIGIN 4.3.2.1.6.7.9.8.6.4.e164.arpa.
    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" 
"E2U+sip:voice:home"    "!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!"

    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+sip:voice:mobile"  " 
!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!"

    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" 
"E2U+mailto"             "!^.*$!mailto:[email-masked]!"

    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" 
"E2U+sip:im"           "!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!"

    IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" 
"E2U+sip:fax"           "!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!"

    3.4 OBSERVATIONS ON CALLED PARTY VS CALLING PARTY CONTROL

    It would be unreasonable and inappropriate to conclude that either
    view of ENUM enabled communications is right or wrong. There are
    clearly circumstances where consumers or businesses, for various
    reasons, might prefer each option.

    A variety of businesses and enterprises my wish to expose and
    individually describe the maximum number of contact points in the
    global DNS order to facilitate communications by calling parties by
    the most convenient means available.

    Consumers may prefer information about them to be masked or aliases
    in the DNS, in order to benefit from advanced IP communications,
    such as SIP, while preserving personal preferences and privacy.

    What is important is ENUM and the global ENUM system is flexible
    enough to permit either concept. The choice is directly a function
    of called parties registering their E.164 resources in the global
    ENUM system and configuring their NAPTR resources appropriately to
    their wishes.

    4) WHAT OTHER INFORMATION IS NECESSARY FOR ENUM REGISTRATION?

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 8]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    Various national ENUM groups have emerged with the task of
    developing policies and procedures for administrating the ENUM
    system within their various jurisdictions.  Many of these forums
    have described a multi-tier model for ENUM registration and
    provisioning that will require some forms of personal data to be
    collected and stored as well as technical contact data on who is the
    responsible party for the management of the authoritive name servers
    that hold and manage ENUM records.

    Many concepts and principals have been borrowed from domain name
    registration where there are three distinct parties to the
    transaction, Registrant, Registrar and Registry.

    Various jurisdictions have different laws and regulations regarding
    data acquisition and the protection of data acquired from consumers
    (registrants). (See 5 and 6)

    Unlike the ICANN administered domain name industry, the global ENUM
    system has no requirement for a central WHOIS registry of
    registrants. Information on whom or what entity is in administrative
    control of a phone number is widely available as a part of normal
    telephone service subscription.

    What is different about the ENUM system is that it depends on the
    security and stability of DNS servers to function properly. It is
    necessary and prudent that this technical contact data for these
    servers be widely available to network administrators so that they
    can be contacted in the event there is a technical problem with
    aspects of the DNS under their management and control. Consequently
    it is suggested that national ENUM implementations SHOULD implement
    a form of WHOIS for the technical contact data appropriate to the
    registration of a E.164 number.

    5) PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION CONSIDERATIONS IN THE NORTH AMERICAN
       CONTEXT

       TBD

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                 [Page 9]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    6) PRIVACY and DATA PROTECTIONS CONSIDERATIONS IN THE EUROPEAN
       COMMUNITY CONTEXT

       TBD

    7) SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS IN ENUM

    7.1 SECURITY OF THE DNS

       The security issues surrounding the DNS are well understood. This
       has enormous implications for emerging national ENUM
       administrations. In particular a DNS request can be subject to
       man-in-the-middle attacks where the response from the DNS may be
       altered in transit. This has serious implications for the
       accuracy and authentication of responses from the DNS to ENUM
       formatted queries by applications.

       The IETF has developed DNSSEC [ARENDS] to authenticate that the
       responses from the DNS are indeed from the zone from which they
       have been requested, however DNSSEC is still in early testing and
       deployment and has not been deployed in a large scale environment
       such as generic or country code Top Level Domain.[RFC 3130]

       Consequently it is premature for emerging national ENUM
       administrations to consider mandating DNSSEC for those Country
       Code zones and administrative number ranges under their control
       until such time as there is sufficient operational experience
       with DNSSEC.

    7.2 SECURITY OF ENUM PROVISIONING INFRASTRUCTURE.

       TBD

    8) References

       1. [RFC2916bis] Faltstrom, P.&  Mealling,M. “The E.164 to URI
          DDDS Applications”,draft-ietf-enum-rfc2916bis-01.txt, (work in
          progress), May 2002

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                [Page 10]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

       2. Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
          Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997

       3. [ITU-T], "The International Public Telecommunication Number
          Plan", Recommendation E.164, May 1997.

       4. [RFC3026] Blaine, R. ”Liaison to IETF/ISOC on ENUM” RFC
          3026,January 2001

       5. [RFC 3403] Mealling, M., "Dynamic Delegation Discovery System
          (DDDS) Part Four: The URI Resolution Application", RFC 3403
          October 2002.

       6. [PETERSON]  Peterson, J. etal, “Using ENUM for SIP
          Applications”, draft-ietf-sipping-e164.02.txt, (work in
          progress), October 2002

       7. [BRANDER] Brandner, R. et.al."Categorical enumservices",
          draft-brandner-enum-categorical-enumservices-00.txt, (work in
          progress, June 2002

       8. [DNSEXT] Arends, R.,“DNS Security Introduction and
          Requirements”, draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-intro-03.txt, (work in
          progress) October 2002

       9. [RFC 3130] Lewis, E. “Notes from the State-Of-The-Technology:
          DNSSEC” RFC 3130, June 2001

    9) Acknowledgments

       The original suggestion for this document came from Allison
       Mankin and Scott Bradner.

    10)  Author's Addresses

       Richard Shockey
       NeuStar, Inc
       46000 Center Oak Plaza
       Sterling, VA  20166
       Phone: +1 571 434 5651
       Email: [email-masked]

    Shockey                  Expires – April 2003                [Page 11]

    draft-shockey-enum-privacy-security-00.txt                October 2002

    Full Copyright Statement

       Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2002).  All Rights Reserved.

    This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
    others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
    or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
    and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
    kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph
    are included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
    document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
    the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
    Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
    developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
    copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
    followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
    English.

    The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
    revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

    This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
    "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
    TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
    BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
    HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

    Acknowledgement

    Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
    Internet Society.

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:24:52 -0500

Richard,

Item 4, the data necessary (and sufficient) for enum registration, may be
easier to understand if everything that isn't "enum" is ignored. The sets
of additional data necessary and sufficient to support fee-for-service, a
hierarchy of state and an authoritative (ouch) root for distributed state
(aka "multi-tier"), and aaa and data collection models can be added on as
variations identify themselves.

Item 5, and 6, there is a lot on ths subject. Pointers to the literature
maay suffice.

Eric

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:33:54 -0500

>Item 5, and 6, there is a lot on ths subject. Pointers to the literature

send them along if you have some that are particularly relevant...in either 
context NA or EC...I'm sure folks on the list will find them valuable.

tks

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:49:22 -0500

> context NA or EC...I'm sure folks on the list will find them valuable.

I'm more interested in the necessary and sufficient data and service mapping,
the gist of item 4. I've done 5 and 6 several times, someone else can enjoy a
tour through the woods. Canada is an OEDC jurisdiction, so +1 isn't uniform.

Cheers,
Eric