Subject: [Enum] Relief Area Codes and REGEXP

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:27:26 +0100

Hi Learned Author, folks,
   Picking up on the non-terminal question...

I understand from the D3S DNS Database draft that the REGEXP is
applied to the AUS.

I understand from RFC2916bis that, in the ENUM case, the AUS is
an E164 number with the initial '+' character.

I understand from the D3S DNS Database draft that this remains
through a non-terminal sequence - each subsequent NAPTR will
apply its REGEXP to this initial value.

I understand from the previous mails that the output of non-terminal
NAPTR REGEXP processing will be a domain name.

However...
If the intention is to continue a query within the golden tree then
I don't know how to define the REGEXP code so that it works with
variable length numbers. This should NOT be dismissed as a requirement.

Relief Area Codes may be introduced and, in this case, there will
be some period during which both the "old" and the "new" numbers are
valid. Both of these sets of numbers will be within the golden tree
and so we need to map from an AUS holding the "old" number into
an ENUM domain name.

So...how do I convert an AUS (E164 number) into an ENUM domain name?

If this can't be done using REGEXP, then we will need to find alternatives.

all the best,
    Lawrence
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:45:42 -0700

>>>>> "Lawrence" == Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]> writes:

    Lawrence> Relief Area Codes may be introduced and, in this case,
    Lawrence> there will be some period during which both the "old"
    Lawrence> and the "new" numbers are valid. Both of these sets of
    Lawrence> numbers will be within the golden tree and so we need to
    Lawrence> map from an AUS holding the "old" number into an ENUM
    Lawrence> domain name.

    Lawrence> So...how do I convert an AUS (E164 number) into an ENUM
    Lawrence> domain name?

Won't DNAME -- RFC2672: Non-Terminal DNS Name Redirection -- solve
this problem? I can't recall if DNAME got shunted to Experimental
Status along with A6 records.
_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:11:30 -0700

> Status along with A6 records.

No, it didn't.  The use of DNAME with bitstring labels did (since bitstring
labels got the axe).

Rgds,
-drc