Subject: [Enum] Enum - to be or not to be

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:13:33 +0100

Hi Patrik, Richard, Clive, folks,
  ouch! More coffee needed, IMHO, or maybe less.

I'll leave the comments on phone teleservice specifications to other
learned Fora, but...

I do have 2 comments on how we might use an enum: URI scheme.

It may be possible to use the "replacement domain" field of non-terminal
NAPTRs to do the "re-sumbit the query at a different point in the (public)
golden tree" re-direction. That rather depends on the answers to my earlier
questions (on D3S details). Maybe, there may be a way to force a "fine grained"
re-direction without requiring an "enum:" URI in the ENUM domain space.

However...

  We still have the issue of a web page (or email) that includes a
phone style URL. How is that processed?

We're NOT talking about a SP (either a Central Office or an I.N. box)
here. This is purely an end user receiving a web page or email with
a URL containing an E.164 number string (Note...not a dial string :).

An example may help.

I have a tel: processor already - if I click on a tel: URL it will
fire off a command (via a serial link - it's been around for a while :)
to my steam phone, and this dials out.

Your tel: processor may do an ENUM lookup and dial out using a new
number it has retrieved, but mine doesn't.

Now, if we had an enum: URL, then  I can be sure that any processor
for this URL *will* perform an ENUM lookup - that's the job of the enum: URL.

It is NOT to dial out, but instead to resolve the contact info using ENUM.

If the result is a phone number embedded in a NAPTR, then the *next*
action may be to dial out (with or without a serial link to a steam phone).

However, that's NOT the job of an enum: URI, but instead a processor for
the URI I retrieve from the ENUM lookup. The "protocol" for the enum: URI
is an ENUM lookup using DNS.

The "protocol" for a tel: URL is whatever I use to initiate a phone call
(or sms, or fax, or ...).

Overloading tel: is a bit inelegant, but more importantly it isn't going
to work with some clients "out there in the wild".

all the best,
   Lawrence
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum