Subject: RE: [Enum] Opt-in principle for calling users and communications providers

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:11:33 +0200

To summarize my view of this discussion:

1. I still think that shall be possible to have information related to
end-users (_User ENUM_) AND information required by operators
(_infrastructure ENUM_ ) in ENUM.

2. I also think, that a _global infrastructure ENUM_ is necessary, to
avoid from the beginning the IN mess with different, non interworking
databases. The information is distrubuted in ENUM anyway and may also
point (e.g. via ldap) to other databases. For the avoidance of doubt,
this does not prevent single operators or (con)federations or companies
(PBX, private networks) to use within their networks what they want,
even ENUM.

3. They usage of _infrastructure ENUM_ will be number portability (all
types, even global) and advertisement of IP-based PoIs for various
purposes (carrier bypass, reducing TDM-IP transits etc.), as described
in draft-stastny-enum-scenarios-00.txt

4. Also for the avoidance of doubt, I do not request in any case a
second golden tree, if somebody shows me exactly, how both scenarios can
be implemented in the one e164.arpa tree.

We have discussed the problem at lenght internally, and we have already
some ideas, but we did not come up yet with a consistent solution to
solve two important problems:

A. Mixing of infrastructure information requested by an operator and the
information requested and controlled by the user in the Tier 2 choosen
by the subsciber. (Mike: I do not think your assumption works, if the
TSP, the ISP(s) and the Tier 2 Nameserver provider are differnt entities
- see also James administrative nightmare comment)

B. Mixing of information related to numbering blocks (wildcard) and
information related to a single number within this block.

I understand, that IETF is currently not looking at the provisioning
processes, but e.g. from the US ENUM forum documents one clearly can
see, that it already complicated enough.

Regards
Richard

Richard STASTNY
OeFEG/Telekom Austria
Box 147, A-1103 Vienna, Austria
tel:+43 664 420 4100
fax:+43 1 797 80 13
mailto:[email-masked] 

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:55:21 -0400

> - see also James administrative nightmare comment)

But why does it matter that they're different entities? My ISP and I
are two different entities and we manage pretty well. It might have
a few hickups in the beginning but it'll work itself out...
 
> see, that it already complicated enough.

Its looking at provisioning from the standpoint of EPP which has ways
of handling some of this stuff. I really don't see a problem that the
IETF needs to deal with anyway: each combination of provider and end-user
is going to have slightly different policies about how they interact
with each other in that zone...

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
[email-masked]      |                              | http://www.neonym.net
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!! The Trailblazer spacecraft is going to the Moon! And for just $2500 a gram !!
!! you can send something along with it! Business cards, momentos, cremains,  !!|| anything! See http://www.transorbital.net for details!                     !!