Subject: [Enum] Revised WG Goals and Milestones

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:18:41 -0400

We have had a inquiry from our Area directors on updating our Goals and 
Milestones.

What we have now is this.

Goals and Milestones:

Done            Initial draft of Service ENUM Requirements
Done            Initial draft of ENUM Protocol
Done            Revised draft of ENUM Protocol
Done            Submit ENUM Protocol document to IESG for publication as 
Proposed
JUN 02          Revise and update RFC 2916 appropriate to DDDS (revision of 
2915) and advance to Draft Standard
JUL 02          Document appropriate ENUM Registration and Provisioning 
Procedures (Informational)
AUG 02          Document appropriate ENUM Operational Security, Privacy 
Issues and Procedures (Informational)

I'd like to propose this.

Done            Initial draft of Service ENUM Requirements
Done            Initial draft of ENUM Protocol
Done            Revised draft of ENUM Protocol
Done            Submit ENUM Protocol document to IESG for publication as 
Proposed
NOV 02          Revise and update RFC 2916 appropriate to DDDS (revision of 
2915)
DEC 02          Document appropriate ENUM Service Field Registrations  [ 
Standards Track ]
March 02                Document appropriate ENUM  Provisioning Procedures 
(Informational ?)
March 03                     Advance revised RFC 2916 to Draft Standard
June 03         Document appropriate ENUM Operational Security, Privacy 
Issues and Procedures (Informational)

I want to note to the list that I'm personally aware of several national 
trials of ENUM that are beginning this fall and Winter we would hope that 
some of you who are working on those trials will assist the WG in 
documenting the  funcitions during those trials to assist the WG in 
completing it task of taking 2916 forward to Draft standard.

I think its also reasonable that we delay trying to work on provisioning, 
security and other issues until there are some clear results coming back 
from those trials.

Comments?

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 10    Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
<http://shockey.us > ; <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:15:46 +0800

> completing it task of taking 2916 forward to Draft standard.

I learned the the ENUM trial will happen in the Europe and Asia, How about the US?
The ENUM trial will be good for developing ENUM to a useful service to the end users, as well as the progress of standards. Several websites is set up for information about the enum trial but most of them are not in English, (e.g: www.enum.or.kr, http://www.pts.se/tele_niva3.asp?avdelning=lev3_enum&uavdelning=tele_niva3&u2avdelning=workshop&lang=&header=Can ). Should people who are working on those trial use this enum mailing list for sharing the information about the enum trial worldwide?

> security and other issues until there are some clear results coming back 
Support

Bill

2002/09/03

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:06:06 -0400

>I learned the the ENUM trial will happen in the Europe and Asia, How about 

The United States Government is continuing to take input from various 
groups both in and out of industry. There was a workshop on ENUM recently 
held at the US Dept of Commerce here in DC which was very well attended.

>The ENUM trial will be good for developing ENUM to a useful service to the 
>end users, as well as the progress of standards. Several websites is set 
>up for information about the enum trial but most of them are not in 
>English, (e.g: www.enum.or.kr, 
>http://www.pts.se/tele_niva3.asp?avdelning=lev3_enum&uavdelning=tele_niva3&u2avdelning=workshop&lang=&header=Can 
>). Should people who are working on those trial use this enum mailing list 
>for sharing the information about the enum trial worldwide?

Speaking for my Co-Chair the answer to your question is YES!

I refer you to our charter..

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/enum-charter.html

and specifically to this paragraph ..

"3. The Working Group will continue to maintain appropriate contact and 
liaison with standards bodies and groups, specifically ITU-T SG2, in order 
to provide technical or educational information as needed, such as the 
appropriate use of DNS. The Working Group will encourage the exchange of 
technical information within the emerging global ENUM community as well as 
documentation on practical experiences with implementations or 
administration of RFC 2916."

People wishing to exchange technical information and URL's to relevant 
national ENUM trial documents are welcome to do so here.

In particular ... the WG is very interested in seeing documentation on 
interoperable implementations of 2916 as part of its ongoing process to 
advance the Proposed Standard to Draft status.