Subject: RE: [Enum] Opt-in principle for calling users and communications providers

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:37:17 +0200

MM wrote:

> 
> Not our problem that policy wonks decided not to wait on the 
> engineers... I'll be really glad when the last black plastic 
> phone gets destroyed. 
> Life will get a lot easier and way more interesting...

We wonks waited and waited for two years and nothing came out. Up to now
we do not even have _enum services_ defined for a trial.

Don`t you think that you are a bit _praepotent_ (sorry, did not find the
English word in the dictionary).

And in all the discussions here I mainly got negative feedback (does not
work, I do not like this, no, naah, this is not what is for, ...). I do
not mind, if somebody tells me I am wrong, but then he should tell what
is right or how it should be done.

IMHO there is now way forward at the moment in ENUM.

Regards

Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:38:43 -0400

> we do not even have _enum services_ defined for a trial.

It took a while, sure. I've been in working groups that have taken
3 years just to define their terms and understand the problem. I know
its frustrating but technical solutions to these problems generally work
better than mandated policy ones....

> English word in the dictionary).

I think its from the Latin meaning originally to "be powerful over". I think
the current conotation would be "bullying". If so then I'm sorry to come
across like that but what I'm trying to get at is that this isn't a DNS
problem but a database problem. If there are current ways of doing things
that make it really, really hard to even solve it on a database side then
maybe its time to revisit those "ways of doing things" in light of
new knowledge and systems....

> is right or how it should be done.

I think at least what I'm tryin to say is that you might want to rethink
your assumptions: they may not apply here. Simply stating that "this is
how we do it and thus how it must be in the future" is just as productive
as me being praepotent. There might be technical solutions here that solve
the problem. They might require a little work but IMHO a technical solution
is probably better...

> IMHO there is now way forward at the moment in ENUM.

Now who's being praepotent! ;-) I think there's a way forward, it just
requires being willing to do some extra work on the non-DNS backend.
But that work might best be done elsewhere and not here, I'm not an
expert enough to tell...

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
[email-masked]      |                              | http://www.neonym.net
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!! The Trailblazer spacecraft is going to the Moon! And for just $2500 a gram !!
!! you can send something along with it! Business cards, momentos, cremains,  !!|| anything! See http://www.transorbital.net for details!                     !!

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:38:43 -0400

-MM