Subject: [Enum] Work Group Last Call on draft-ietf-enum-e164-gstn-np-05.txt

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:44:48 -0400

This document has been discussed and revised several times now.

The intent of the last call is to solicit comments before submitting the ID 
to the IESG as an Informational Document.

The purpose of a working group Last Call is in the style of "speak now or
forever hold your peace" in case there are fundamental objections which have
not gotten previous or adequate discussion, or minor errors which need
correction.

Work Group last call will extend for two weeks from today July 24 
th  to  at least August 2 nd though we can modify that if new issues come up.

Title           : Number Portability in the GSTN: An Overview
         Author(s)       : M. Foster, T. McGarry, J. Yu
         Filename        : draft-ietf-enum-e164-gstn-np-05.txt
         Pages           : 27
         Date            : 27-Jun-02

This document provides an overview of E.164 telephone number
portability (NP) in the Global Switched Telephone Network (GSTN).
NP is a regulatory imperative seeking to liberalize local telephony
service competition, by enabling end-users to retain telephone
numbers while changing service providers.  NP changes the
fundamental nature of a dialed E.164 number from a hierarchical
physical routing address to a virtual address, thereby requiring the
transparent translation of the later to the former.  In addition,
there are various regulatory constraints that establish relevant
parameters for NP implementation, most of which are not network
technology specific.  Consequently, the implementation of NP
behavior consistent with applicable regulatory constraints, as well
as the need for interoperation with the existing GSTN NP
implementations, are relevant topics for numerous areas of IP
telephony work-in-progress at IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-e164-gstn-np-05.txt

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum