Subject: [Enum] Comments on 2916bis

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:23:38 -0400

A couple of personal comments to Patrik and Mike here based on the draft.

The ABNF Syntax for enumservice is defined in 2916bis as follows with 
examples from the text.

service_field = "E2U" + 1*("+" enumservice)
enumservice   = service [":" protocol]
service       = 1*32(ALPHA / DIGIT)   [mandatory] examples [presence, 
talk,message, sip??]
protocol      = 1*32(ALPHA / DIGIT)   [optional] examples [ tel ,mailto, sip ]

I'm still wondering if the order of service and protocol should be reversed 
along with a requirement that protocol be mandatory and service optional. 
in order to permit definition of a protocol without defining an service 
associated with it.

My views on why this is useful are well known. I wish to permit users to 
define the _minimal_ set of information necessary to establish an 
connection if that is possible using protocols that have on the wire 
negotiation capabilities.

Obviously this would be helpful for the example "E2U+SIP:[blank]

consequently I would propose the following revision to the syntax with the 
addition of 'label'which might have uses of its own under certain 
circumstances as B/C/S have proposed

service_field = "E2U" + 1*("+" enumservice)
enumservice   = service [":" protocol ":" label]
protocol      = 1*32(ALPHA / DIGIT) [mandatory] examples [smtp, sip, tel, 
h323, ldap, vpim ]
service       = 1*32(ALPHA / DIGIT) [optional] examples [ video, sms, 
presence, talk, voice, message, fax, mailto ]
label          =  1*32(ALPHA / DIGIT) [optional] examples [ home, office, 
mobile  ]

Before 3.1.1 I would add an requirement for Applicability Statement before 
a Functionality requirement..namely why is this particular registration 
important and what need does it serve also add to Registration Template.

After 7. Privacy Statement ... I think we should make it clear that 
information in the global DNS is open to all and exposure of certain 
information contains risks. I'm thinking of text that may be appropriate 
here ...

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum