Subject: [Enum] Re: enum uri considered harmful?

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:50:59 +0100

Hi Rich, Folks,
<see earlier email for my plea for an enum: uri rather than a tel: parameter>
At 4:50 pm -0400 30/7/02, Richard Shockey wrote:
>As the problem statement is defined .. folks want to pass a URI that 
>explicitly tells the application processing the URI to preform a 
>ENUM query on the TN ... if that is the case the question in 
>Yokohama was ..why go through the bother of developing a new URI 
>when you can just add a new flag to the existing tel URL?
and then asks:
  - why should this be a "MUST do a lookup or else fail"?
  - what clients does this break?
    (and adds that 'tis hard to grok, as there's little deployed :).

Well....in reverse order:
There -ARE- tel: URL handlers out there.
We have one - well, actually, we have two.
Look back at the rfc2806bis discussions on IPTel list, and you'll
see that Broadsoft have one as well - Brett was pretty insistent
on not breaking them (fair enough, IMHO) with the update.

I can guarantee that these do not support the proposed enum parameter.
I can't talk for others, but I don't believe ours do an ENUM lookup;
they focus on delivering a phone call given a tel: URL.

Now for "why MUST"?

At present, a registrant can't be sure that the client will or
will not have a tel: URL handler that does ENUM lookups. Even
if we have a mandatory tel: parameter you can't be sure that
the client won't follow the current (RFC2806) behaviour, and
ignore it. As a potential registrant for "public" ENUM, this
is not a good proposition.

You can be sure that an enum: URI handler will do the lookup :).
Particularly when they appear on web pages, I can imagine the
registrant (or the person putting that info onto the page) -might-
prefer to know that someone clicking on the link will not call
the phone number directly. If they don't mind, there's tel:.

Does this make sense?

all the best,
   Lawrence
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum