Subject: [Enum] Comments on going to Last Call

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:11:00 -0400

This document has been discussed here rather extensively over time and I 
like to get a sense of the list whether its time to move this to last call 
as Informational.

###################

Title           : Number Portability in the GSTN: An Overview
         Author(s)       : M. Foster, T. McGarry, J. Yu
         Filename        : draft-ietf-enum-e164-gstn-np-05.txt
         Pages           : 27
         Date            : 27-Jun-02

This document provides an overview of E.164 telephone number
portability (NP) in the Global Switched Telephone Network (GSTN).
NP is a regulatory imperative seeking to liberalize local telephony
service competition, by enabling end-users to retain telephone
numbers while changing service providers.  NP changes the
fundamental nature of a dialed E.164 number from a hierarchical
physical routing address to a virtual address, thereby requiring the
transparent translation of the later to the former.  In addition,
there are various regulatory constraints that establish relevant
parameters for NP implementation, most of which are not network
technology specific.  Consequently, the implementation of NP
behavior consistent with applicable regulatory constraints, as well
as the need for interoperation with the existing GSTN NP
implementations, are relevant topics for numerous areas of IP
telephony work-in-progress at IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-e164-gstn-np-05.txt

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Rosbotham, Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:17:24 +0100

My feeling would be that all of the comments  made by myself and a few others have been satisfactorily incorporated  into the doc, so I'd be happy to move to last call.

Paul Rosbotham
Manager, Interconnect Strategy & Technology Regulation
Cable & Wireless plc

Tel :	+44 1344 713246
Fax :	+44 1344 713015
Mob :	+44 7957 805573

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Richard Shockey [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	24 July 2002 16:11
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	[Enum] Comments on going to Last Call
> 
> 

**********************************************************************
This message may contain information which is confidential or privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately
by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments
without retaining a copy.  

**********************************************************************