Subject: Re: [Enum] Triggering ENUM Queries

From: "ripple" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 11:28:46 +0800

I have two questions about your opinion:

>Camp A has a broader view and see in addition the user who just wants to
>communicate with another user and has not decided yet, how he will do this.
>So the user is querying ENUM, retrieving all NAPTR records e.g. by a
>stand-alone application, and gets the result displayed in a user meaningful
>format, e.g. URLs sorted by tel, fax, sms, mail, like on a business card.
>The user is now selecting the proper appclication by clicking on the URL.
>This also explains, that this camp has no problem with peeking ahead beyond
>the enumservices field.

>To summarize, we really have three principle ways to trigger an ENUM query,
>and we want to use the trials to find out the user preferences (maybe all
>tree variants are needed anyway):

>1. Stand-alone ENUM Client:

>The stand-alone ENUM client is given an E.164 Number in the format +431...,
>retrieving all NAPTRs (and ev. other records) from the given domain and
>displaying them in a human readable and grouped form, eg.

sure, the user get all NAPTR records, and then he can make a dicision. But the callee maybe wouldn't rather his private information known by everyone, especially for the telemarketing. 

>3. ENUM query triggered by URL

>I also see a third possibility to launch an ENUM query: by clicking on an
>URL on a webpage or in a document. This is a bit different from the usage of
>URL in the stand-alone client, because then I use the URL AFTER the ENUM
>query. The problem here is, that this requires some additions to the
>existing URI schemes, eg: 
>mailto:+431... or sip:+431... or http://+431...

>If there is an ambiguity, whether ENUM should be queried or not, a ;svc=enum
>parameter could be used.

>If such an URL is used, the corresponding application should be launched
>and, provided there is an ENUM add-on, ENUM should be queried, and the
>number should be replaced with the retrieved URI as in 2.

>Proposal of a new URI scheme enum:+431...

>This leads to another requirement: If a user has an ENUM entry, it does not
>make sense to list all the different URLs e.g. on his e-mail signature,
>pointing to the same ENUM entry.

>He may just want to say, hey guys, I am in ENUM, you can get all information
>there. Therefore a new URI scheme is required: 
>enum:+431...

>This URL would launch the standalone client from 1. and I can also imagine,
>that a bubble with the information pops up, if you hoover with the mouse
>over the URL ;-)

>The new URI scheme ENUM may also come in handy to forward the complete E.164
>domain to another number, including all services.

>If I enter in my office number domain +4317978032

>NAPTR blabla "E2U+enum" blabla enum:+436644204100

>I can forward now ALL services to my mobile number, having all records in
>one place. This is proposed as alternative to the use of CNAME for End
>Users.

First, I can't sure if the 'NAPTR blabla "E2U+enum" blabla enum:+436644204100' is the output of the ENUM query.
Second, if the end user is a telephone subscriber, how does he use the URL ?

Hope this helps,
ripple

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:45:01 +0200

Hi, comments inline:

	-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- 
	Von: ripple [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Gesendet: Di 11.06.2002 09:33 
	An: Brandner Rudolf 
	Cc: [email-masked] 
	Betreff: Re: [Enum] Triggering ENUM Queries

	Hi,
	thanks for your comments, mine are inline...
	
	>----- Original Message -----
	>From: "Brandner Rudolf" <[email-masked]>
	>To: "'ripple'" <[email-masked]>
	>Cc: <[email-masked]>; "CONROY LAWRENCE" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
	>Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 12:50 AM
	>Subject: AW: [Enum] Triggering ENUM Queries
	
	>-----[snipp]-----
	>>
	>> First, I can't sure if the 'NAPTR blabla "E2U+enum" blabla
	>> enum:+436644204100' is the output of the ENUM query.
	
	>I am not quite sure what you mean here.
	>If it comes down to the question: how can I be sure that this response to my ENUM request is the correct one, >then it is not specific to an enum: URI.
	
	I just want to confirm that when I have sent a ENUM query whether 'NAPTR blabla "E2U+enum" blabla
	enum:+436644204100 ' is a response for the query.

	To which I reply.

	Yes, and it will in most cases the only NAPTR record in the domain, just pointing you to the E.164 number domain where the "real" NAPTRs are.

	It is really up to the client, if the user is recocgnizing the fact he is diverted , and how this is displayed. The client could also just select the NAPTRs from the new number and process them.

	>Not sure what you mean here.
	>If my end system or terminal can query ENUM and gets an enum: URI, the end systems just queries ENUM with that >phone number of the enum: URI.
	
	I mean that when I use the telephone, How do I click the URL ? So the 3# approach "ENUM query triggered by URL" is not available.
	
	To which I reply:

	We are talking two things here:

	1. The enum: URI is in the NAPTR, indicating that a new query should be made, so the question here is, how did you do the query from the phone in the first place. If you dialled up a GW with an access number, the GW (or MGC) is querying ENUM, looking e.g. for a 'talk' enumservice, and getting only e.g.'any' with enum URI. So he is querying ENUM again and now finding a 'talk' enumservice with a SIP URI. Fine. Done

	2. The enum: URI is e.g in an e-mail signatur, so you see it in a PDA od PC, click on it, a stand-alone client opens and shows you all entries. I agree. its hard with a steam-phone to receice an e-mail and click on a link ;-)

	regards

	Richard