Subject: RE: [Enum] EPP for E.164 - Start Last Call ???

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:00:16 -0400

At 01:32 PM 6/5/2002 -0400, Pfautz, Penn L, ALVAP wrote:
>Richard:
>While I'm generally supportive of the work to make use of EPP in ENUM 
>provisioning, I have a couple of potential concerns about the context in 
>which it is used. These may prove insubstantial (I hope so) but I'd like 
>to offer them up anyway:

I'm wondering if we should even be hinting at a transport here ...EPP is a 
transport mechanism I wondering how we can abstract this whole mechanism to 
things like SOAP etc.

Just a thought not a monkey wrench... its just that I see opportunities for 
provisioning using variety of mechanisms.

>1. It's not entirely clear from the document what, if any, assumptions are 
>being made about which information flows in the ENUM provisioning process 
>would make use of EPP. The Registry (Tier 1) - Registrar interface seems 
>the most likely candidate, but at least in the domestic USA ENUM Forum 
>plan, this would not require the NAPTR record objects, so I infer that 
>Registrar - Tier 2 use is also contemplated.  Can Scott or someone elese 
>elaborate?

Well my thought is that this document outlines a possible mechanism for T1 
- T2 data interchange using this data object ..but by no means the only one 
or the eventual dominant one we have markets for that ..which was one other 
reason I thought this might be better as Informational ..Penn ..what are 
your thoughts?

>2. In the US ENUM Forum there has been some debate about what contact 
>information the Tier 1 Registry would actually have. EPP seems to assume a 
>thick Registry  and I'm not sure there is agreement on this for ENUM. I'd 
>at least like to see some statements about contact objects being optional 
>in the document.

good point...

>Penn Pfautz
>AT&T

Thanks for your comments...

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 1:32 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [Enum] EPP for E.164 - Start Last Call ???
>
>
>At 09:14 AM 5/23/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >We want to bring to everyone's attention to the draft for provisioning
> >E.164 numbers using EPP in a registry
> >environment.
> ><http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-epp-e164-00.txt>h 
> ttp://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-epp-e164-00.txt.
> >This draft was accepted as an ENUM working group item at the 53rd
> >IETF.  We would like to solicit comments for this draft so we can make
> >changes, if necessary, to the draft before the June 24th cut off date for
> >the 54th IETF in Japan.  We would like to move forward, as expediently as
> >possible, because the ENUM forum is very interested in having this draft
> >move to RFC before they adopt it into their provisioning process.
>
>
>I'd like to re-note this message sent to the list earlier and poll the list
>for any objections to taking this to Last Call as a Informational document
>ASAP.
>
>
> >
>
>
>  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
>NeuStar Inc.
>45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
>1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
>Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
><mailto: [email-masked]> or
><mailto: [email-masked]>
><http://www.neustar.biz>
><http://www.enum.org>
><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>enum mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum
>
>_______________________________________________
>enum mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:15:27 +0200

--On 2002-06-05 15.00 -0400 Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I'm wondering if we should even be hinting at a transport here ...EPP is
> a transport mechanism I wondering how we can abstract this whole
> mechanism to things like SOAP etc.

SOAP, I hate when getting it into my eyes ;-)

Joke aside, as wg co-chair I have heard from several parties they want to
be able to create registry/registrar systems passing "whatever" information
needed when creating thick or thin registries holding ENUM information.

No, I don't know if they mean with registry the party holding the NAPTR
record or the one delegating NS records for E.164 numbers.

What the goal is should be clear enough when reading the document, and if
it is not, that is not a general question, but issue which should be
addressed by the document editor(s).

    paf