Subject: [Enum] Internet Society Press Release on ITU - IAB interum agreement on RFC2916

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:47:35 -0400

http://www.isoc.org/isoc/media/releases/020524pr.shtml

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
24 May 2002

Interim Approval for Internet Telephone Numbering System (ENUM) Provisioning
  --    Countries wishing to implement ENUM system may now do so.
  --    System offers promise of standardized international Voice and Video
        on  IP services.

Washington, DC - May 24, 2002 - The International Telecommunication
Union (ITU) and the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) announce interim
approval for a single domain for ENUM, a technology that builds a
bridge between the public switched telephone network and the Internet.

Voice on IP networks today operate by translating telephone numbers to
IP addresses and placing an H.323 or SIP call to the device. The
interchange format and translation record has not heretofore been
standardized, limiting the possibility of deployment of multi-
corporate and international Voice on IP services. Under the ENUM
proposal, E.164 numbers can be represented as Internet Domain
Names,providing a scalable and standard way to translate the numbers,
and opening the way to such services. ITU has begun approving
delegations for the purposes of trials. "The lack of an interoperable
standard way to turn a telephone number into an IP Address has been
one factor limiting the deployment of Voice on IP services
internationally", said Leslie Daigle, Chair of the Internet
Architecture Board.

If desk-mounted computers or servers are given telephone numbers as
well as mnemonic names, this system further enables common telephone
handsets to place Voice or Video on IP calls to such computers. This
is a significant step towards integrating Internet-based services with
the global telephone network, and the current agreements between IAB
and ITU will allow trials to take place.

Patrik Faltstrom, member of the Internet Engineering Steering Group
(IESG), said that "the integration of the desktop telephone and
computer allows corporations to simplify their internal networks." Roy
Blane, Chair of ITU-T's Study Group 2, concurred, saying that "In the
long term this protocol may facilitate many new internet services. In
the short term, countries wishing to trial the system can begin work
on developing it."

This interim approval is made possible due to cooperation between ITU,
IAB and the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). As outlined in the
ENUM specification document, RFC 2916, sub-domains from a single
domain will be delegated after acceptance by the registries according
to the existing assignment of country codes in the telephone address
space.

Information on how the ENUM registration requests will be processed
can be found at http://www.ripe.net/enum/

About ISOC

The Internet Society <http://www.isoc.org/> is a non-profit,
non-governmental, open membership organization whose worldwide
individual and organization members make up a veritable "who's who" of
the Internet industry. It provides leadership in technical and
operational standards, policy issues, and education.  ISOC is the
organizational home of the International Engineering Task Force, the
Internet Architecture Board, the Internet Engineering Steering Group,
and the Internet Research Task Force - the standards setting and
research arms of the Internet community.

About the IETF

The Internet Engineering Task Force is an international community of
network designers, operators,vendors, and researchers concerned with
the evolution of the Internet architecture and the smooth operation of
the Internet. The definition of the ENUM protocol, as proposed by the
IETF can be found at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2916.txt. The IETF is
an organized activity of the Internet Society.

About ITU

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is a global
organization where the public and private sectors cooperate for the
development of telecommunications and the harmonization of national
telecommunications policies. Study Group 2 of the ITU
Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T), where work on ENUM
is being carried out, is the Lead Study Group on Service
definition, Numbering, Routing and Global Mobility and is responsible
for the operational aspects of service provision, networks and
performance.  More information on the ENUM protocol, and the issues
related to it, can be found at
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/enum/index.html.

POC: Patrik Fltstrm <[email-masked]>
       Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
       Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
       Roy Blane <[email-masked]>
       Richard Hill <[email-masked]>
       Lynn St.Amour <[email-masked]>

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum