Subject: RE: [Enum] Triggering ENUM Queries

From: "Stastny, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:02:44 +0200

Michael wrote:

> IMHO, the first (or Camp A) should be a service in Camp B. If 
> you simply willy nilly show the user all NAPTR records 
> regardless of any priority settings or inquiry-style referral 
> (e.g. LDAP or SIP) then you're doing something that isn't 
> explicit and is prone to confusion. You're basically negating 
> the ability to use preferences at all by ignoring them and 
> showing the user _everything_ regardless of whether or not 
> the user should even be seeing it.

Have you ever been confused with a business card? Maybe if it was from
somebody from Japan and you looked at the wong side ;-)

Anyway, I have seen so many ideas and possiblities to use ENUM, and I have
currently no idea what the users will really prefer. So a major target of
our trial is to find out what the users really are going for. We also may
have the problem, that the called user may have one idea and the called user
another.

Also regarding the preferences you may have two approaches: 
One is to list e.g. three phone URIs with preference. This is in my opinion
quite useless for the calling party, because I want to reach the called
party and do not want to try three URIs.

The other is to give preferences for different services, eg. Mail is
preferred. This is nice, and could be listed also with the stand-alone
client (e.g. e-mail is preferred), but this does not help a caller very much
if he is calling from a steam phone.

So our intention is to be open for all of these variants in the trial and
find out what the users are doing. I only expect, that some users will like
this and others that, as you see on the list. We all are potential users,
arent we? ;-)

> 
> IMHO, if you need to do #1 (don't get me wrong, I think its a 
> cool application) then I think you need to specify that 
> information behind something that can express policy and do 
> it as an explicit query. I guess my problem with the scheme 
> you suggest in #1 is that "ENUM is used for turning an E.164 
> number into a URI", not advertising service endpoints 
> intended for a user interface. I realize the distinction is 
> subtle but its an important one 
> (especially when you throw in the mention of "additional text 
> can be returned in TXT records". Does that mean I can put 
> logos and pop up ads in there too?)

Why not? That is the reason also for the enumservice involving http. I
expect ENUM to be used by companies and with 800 and 900 numbers, and they
may want to provide a link to their web-page (especially for their hotline)
or additional information like address (thats why some location information
is needed), or opening hours or whatever in TXT records. TXT records may
also be usefull for info on incomplete or invalid numbers. This is also an
area for investigation. You can use either TXT, http and/or announcements.

Regards
Richard

> -MM

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:31:50 -0400

> > the user should even be seeing it.

I know I continue to sound like the skunk at the garden party ..but

Michael has a excellent point here that I have a lot of trouble with ... Is 
the DNS the appropriate mechanism to display all the user preferences for 
communication ... IMHO NO ... this is something I want to have more control 
over either in a directory that can authenticate who is asking for the 
information or SIP where a defined CPL that has the expression of my 
preferences or other mechanism can be used to define or transfer the 
session to something else.

>have the problem, that the called user may have one idea and the called user

Exactly we need to see how all of this works but ultimately it will be user 
that has control over the e.164 number that  registers it under e164.arpa 
and my suspicion is that will be a minimalist set listed . Just MHO

>this and others that, as you see on the list. We all are potential users,

or another variation ...use LDAP

>area for investigation. You can use either TXT, http and/or announcements.

On this BTW I really agree with this there is a lot of investment in 
freephone numbers. On the SIP side I've almost considered doing a ID on a 
new SIP header for HTTP URI so that all the new SIP phones with color LED's 
can display the web page of the called party...useful for Pizza Specials etc.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<