Subject: [Enum] EPP for E.164 numbers

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:34:25 -0400

With the kind permission of Scott Hollenbeck I'm copying some details from 
a private conversation I had with him over his draft...

draft-ietf-enum-epp-e164-00.txt

As many of you know there has been substantial activity on the Global ENUM 
front with several National Regulatory Administrations discussing trial 
activities  ( a small list is below and if you have any other URI's please 
feel free to add them) .

Clearly beyond the trial phases there is going to have to be discussions on 
provisioning issues where there are multiple entities exchanging data and 
that was the principal reason the WG elected to add this draft to our work.

I have a number of questions related to the bulk upload, but I'm also 
interested in what additional fields are needed given various requirements 
and relationships between ENUM Registrants - Registrars - Registry  Service 
Provider of Record etc. Clearly some requirements would be national 
implementation specific but the proposed data object is quite extensible.

Comment and thoughts would be most welcome so we can continue to advance 
this draft along.

> > I'm certainly guilty of not making comments ..even though I
> > have one big comment question feature set enhancement and
> > that has to deal with bulk up load of registrations.
> >
> > Scott if you can find the time to take a look at the problem
> > I'm wondering how you feel about the case of multiple
> > registrations under one admin tech contact ..aka the
> > enterprise issue where a organization needs to register all
> > of its numbers at once but the classical contact tech data is
> > the same for all. I'm wondering from a transaction basis what
> > is the best method for doing this ... this is not really TLD
> > registrations after all.
>
>One of the significant problems in trying to do "bulk" operations at the
>protocol level involves error recovery.  With each E.164 number mapping to a
>single domain name, the transactional consequences of an error 499 names in
>to a block of 500 is problematic - does the whole transaction fail?  Does
>some part of the transaction succeed, and another part fail?  With EPP I
>took the approach that the protocol's transactional behavior is best managed
>at the most basic level - transactions are easiest to implement and manage
>if they deal with only one object (in this case domain names) at a time.
>
>Having said that, I think the best place to implement some sort of bulk
>operations service is in a layer above the basic protocol client.  An API
>that understands ranges of E.164 numbers on the front end can easily produce
>multiple back-end protocol transactions.  Errors can be easily managed in
>this abstract layer, with reporting and recovery behavior specified as part
>of the API.
>
>I guess what I'm saying is that the complexity of bulk processing can be
>addressed in either the server or in some abstract client layer, and my
>personal feeling is that an abstract client layer is the better place.
>
> > In addition I'm wondering what extensible fields might be
> > necessary ..such as carrier of record ..who issued the TN in
> > the first place etc.. Kevin you could certainly give that
> > some thought.
> >
> > I could go on and on ...
>
>Sure, this is why the document is out for comment in the first place.  I'm
>hoping that folks who have been active in places like the ENUM Forum can
>provide insights into the practical info that might be needed.

Yes . if you or any of your colleagues have been active in the national 
ENUM Forums and can add some insight here to the problem statement that 
would be a "good thing" tm.

United States ENUM Forum

http://www.enum-forum.org

Australia Communications Authority page on ENUM

http://www.aca.gov.au/committee/nsg2/enum.htm

UK Department of Trade and Industry ENUM page

http://www.dti.gov.uk/cii/regulatory/enum/index.shtml

Austria Regulator ENUM page

http://www.tkc.at/web.nsf/deutsch/Telekommunikation~Nummerierung~ENUM

SWISS OFFCOM ENUM home page

http://www.num2002.ch/de/telekommunikation/nummerierung/enum/

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum