Subject: RE: [Enum] SchemaSet strawman

From: "Stastny, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:28:35 +0200

Rich wrote, to which I reply:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 5:42 PM
> To: Patrik Fältström; Stastny, Richard; Lawrence Conroy; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Enum] SchemaSet strawman
> >
> >If you used SIP instead, the sip people say that one URI is 
> enough, and 
> >negotiation is done inside the sip negotiation phase, so 
> only one NAPTR 
> >is enough which have one enumservice regardless of whether 
> it is phone, 
> >fax or pager.
> 
> yes ...  and the analogy to this is PSTN fax itself where 
> negotiation of 
> capabilities [T.30] is "on the wire" and does not require 
> user preselection

As I understood Patrik, you should be able to select the proper NAPTR record
from the enumservice alone. So IMHO opinion, if I am not even allowed to
peek into the URI to select a service (e.g. I queried ENUM from my fax
application), it is even worse if I have to start a negotiation with SIP or
T.30 to find out which NAPTR record to take.
 
> Frankly I think its power user 
> stuff since the 
> vast majority of users IMHO will want some else (the service 
> provider ) to 
> do all of this dirty work and jsut make sure it works.
> 
No, thats not poweruser stuff. I think the vast majority of ENUM users want
to subscribe and to modify their ENUM Services via a web portal. So if you
subscribe to ENUM on the web (where else? To expect people to go to an
office or fax the request?), you have to provide an e-mail anyway. So after
subscription (and validation) an delegation is done in Tier 1 and an entry
is created in the Tier 2 DNS Name Server with a NAPTR pointing to the
e-mail. Next thing the subscriber does is going to the web-portal and
filling out a (user-friendly) form entering his voice, fax, sms, presence,
info URIs of his choice, and eventually modify his e-mail. This can either
be done on a line-by-line basis per service or by providing URI fields to
fill out and click the service boxes (this is up to the crativity of the
web-designers). It is up to the provider of the Tier 2 Name Server (or the
ENUM service provider) to create the proper NAPTR records out of this mess.
Third step every user will do, is to query the DNS with a stand-alone client
SW to look if the information is entered correctly (at least that what I
would do). And he want to have this information displayed in such a way that
it somewhat resembles the information he has put in.

Regards
Richard

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:10:22 -0400

>T.30 to find out which NAPTR record to take.

I am getting confused ... If the device is attempting to send a Internet 
Fax according to the rules of 2305 the device is going to know know what it 
is looking for in advance of creating the session ... since I am using the 
example of  fax its imbedded firmware knows what enumservice fields can 
match to the desired outcome.  So long as there are well understoood rules 
surrounding the particular definition of the enumservice I have trouble 
understanding what the problem is.

If I am attempting to create a voice conversation using SIP the C/UA is 
simply going to look for the enumservice field 'SIP" from the list of 
returned NAPTR records...discard everything else .. process the regexp and 
ultimately send the invite.

The enumservice field is just a 'label' or a 'name'

What am I missing.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:04:10 +0200

--On 2002-05-28 09.28 +0200 "Stastny, Richard" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> As I understood Patrik, you should be able to select the proper NAPTR
> record from the enumservice alone.

Minimize the number of false positives. I am sure there will not be
possible to do a complete selection.

See mail about X >= Y etc...

   paf