Subject: [Enum] Questions on domain contents

From: Brandner Rudolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:36:17 +0100

Hi all,

we were discussing these issues in-house and wonder if anybody has opinions on these:

* What RR except NAPTRs can exist within the golden tree?

* Can there be NAPTRs in non leaf domains within the golden tree?
  - E.g. can 2.5.5.5.2.1.2.1.e164.arpa include a NAPTR

* Can there be NAPTRs outside the golden tree?
  - We believe, that no one is stopping you including a NAPTR under e.g. e164.foo
  - Could be useful for tel: NAPTRs
      E.g. carrier selection prefix within wcom.com or dtag.de

Opinions gratefully recieved.

Rudi

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:01:12 -0500

>* What RR except NAPTRs can exist within the golden tree?

any valid DNS RR ..

>   - E.g. can 2.5.5.5.2.1.2.1.e164.arpa include a NAPTR

What would be the purpose of this ?

>       E.g. carrier selection prefix within wcom.com or dtag.de

Could you elaborate on this scenerio a bit?

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:56:07 +0000

>>Opinions gratefully recieved.

To which I add:

Hi Rich, Folks,
   Thanks for the clarification: "a domain can contain any legal RR".

Re. non-leaf domain NAPTRs.
We raised this point a while ago - Possible uses for these RRs in "mid-tree"::

You might have a NAPTR associated with a number block (and so not a 
leaf domain),
for example to identify the initial Operator to which the block was originally
assigned. Perhaps a URI with an http: URI, or ...
I wonder if one might have "pilot numbers", but Richard St pointed 
out that he was
not comfortable with these in Tier 1. However, in Munich Siemens has 
a 10K number
block - this will be in T2, I guess. I think that we might put in a 
NAPTR at this
number block "level" (2.2.7.9.8.9.4.e164.arpa.) - This might be a tel 
NAPTR for the
reception desk, for example.

Re. prefix...

Beware that I'm still unsure whether or not we should have a 
parameter to show that
a tel: URI content is a Non-Dialable-Number (on its own)...in the 
following it's
shown as ';NDN=PR' [such a parameter could also have the value 'NP' 
for routing number].

Let's say that there's a tel NAPTR in the domain 
0.7.3.8.4.2.2.7.9.8.9.4.e164.arpa.
This could be <tel:+498972251003;tsp=dtag.de>

Now, I could go look in the DNS domain dtag.de for tel NAPTRs (yes, I know that
they aren't in the golden tree so there might need to be another spec, but bear
with me for now):

There, I might find this:
<tel:1033;phone-context=+49;ndn=PR>

This might be used by a dialer as a prefix to prepend to the phone 
number it has been
given from the previous query within the golden tree. Thus, within 
Germany, phone
'0103308972251003' to get to Rudi via DT's fine network.

It's not an ENUM issue as such, but it might be a neat featurette.

OK, that's my EUR 0,02.

all the best,
    Lawrence
-- 
[email-masked]: +44 1794 833666::<my opinions>: