Subject: Re: [Enum] How long will it take to update a NAPTR record?

From: "bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 07:54:50 -0800

> 
> The mechanism that can be used is called DNS Dynamic Update. Since an
> interoperability test which was run in January this year, we know 
> securedynamic update is possible with both the TKEY and SIG(0) 
> mechanisms. 

I am not familiar with the DNS Dynamic Update, and I will take time to 
study it later. But one thing I am sure now is that DNS can be used in 
some services which need to update the route parameters in so-called 
real-time.

> If you have suggested wording for 2916bis which clearifies this, 
> pleasesend the information in my direction.

I'd like to think about this matter. In telcom world, there's some time 
limit on the update of call routing parameter. So I recommend that we 
should consider the problem seriously and write some word for both DNS 
requirements and ENUM service requirement. I will try my best.

Thank you.

Bill

CNNIC

2002/03/19

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:26:16 -0600

> some services which need to update the route parameters in so-called 

In short, it is a normal DNS packet which is sent from the client to a DNS
server requesting to do update the DNS zone. Because of security reasons,
the request is normally signed, and the signing is in SIG(0) done using SIG
resource record just like DNSSEC is signing DNS records.

For example if you look at the KEY resource record for zx81.paf.se you see
the public key for the key which is allowed (according to configuration of
the master server for the zone zx81.paf.se) to update the record
zx81.paf.se (RR type A).

This means that if I on my laptop, which is where I have the private key,
do a dnsupdate using a signature, the request is verified by the server,
and accepted if the request is signed correctly.

This is one of the number one reasons why ENUM is only using DNS as a
mechanism for storing data, and why ENUM should not try to describe how DNS
works.

One can when doing ENUM "services" use any DNS functionality which is
needed. At the moment, dynamic updates are being deployed. Good thing! That
also ENUM can take advantage of.

  paf