Subject: [Enum] Invitation for ENUM applications/service providers

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:25:53 -0800

I apologise in advance as this is somewhat off-topic for these lists
but I hope the moderators will indulge me. This is probably the most
effective way of reaching out to the audience that's being sought.

The UK Government intends to start a national trial of ENUM. This should
hopefully start in the summer and last for 6 months. It will be
operated by an ad-hoc group drawn from industry: telcos, registry and
registrar providers, etc. The objective of the trial is to determine
the viability and desirability of operating a production ENUM service
for the UK. Participation in the trial is open to all, especially
developers of ENUM-capable software or ASPs who can offer ENUM-aware
services. Anyone interested in taking part in the trial should contact
Alwyn Thomas at the Department of Trade and Industry. His email
address is [email-masked].

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:07:26 -0500

>effective way of reaching out to the audience that's being sought.

First this note is not off-topic for the ENUM WG..indeed it is totally in 
scope with the WG's revised charter.

"3. The Working Group will continue to maintain appropriate contact and 
liaison with standards bodies and groups, specifically ITU-T SG2, in order 
to provide technical or educational information as needed, such as the 
appropriate use of DNS. The Working Group will encourage the exchange of 
technical information within the emerging global ENUM community as well as 
documentation on practical experiences with implementations or 
administration of RFC 2916."

>address is [email-masked].

Is there any restriction on the geographic location of participants?

I'd specifically like this ad-hoc group to maintain contact and liaison 
with the chairs and we would welcome ID's documenting the organization of 
this trial, scope and results. As you may know we will eventually want to 
take 2916 from proposed to draft in the usual IETF manner manner.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt

The requirement for taking a RFC from proposed to draft standard require 2 
demonstrations of inter operability and this trial could be useful in 
documenting that process.

Thank you for making the list aware of this opportunity!

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:26:41 -0500

Hi Richard,

>take 2916 from proposed to draft in the usual IETF manner manner.

Cool.

DTI is an agency of the United Kingdom government.
Do the chairs intend to maintain this liaison activity with
respect to other government agencies and trials?  Representing
ISOC IETF or ISOC IAB?

Is this just for the e164.arpa service brand?

--tony

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:03:32 -0800

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Shockey <[email-masked]> writes:

    Richard> First this note is not off-topic for the ENUM WG..indeed
    Richard> it is totally in scope with the WG's revised charter.

OK. However my posting (and this reply) also goes to the IETF apps
mailing list, where it may be off-topic. I sent the announcement there
to try and reach out to developers or ASPs who may have ENUM-aware
products that could be used in the trial.

    Richard> Is there any restriction on the geographic location of
    Richard> participants?

No. Though for the obvious practical reasons it would help if
participants had a presence in the UK (or in roughly the same time
zone). It's also likely that participants will be bound by UK and EU
law on data protection and privacy. That could present constraints on
what participants in other jurisdictions can and cannot do.

    Richard> I'd specifically like this ad-hoc group to maintain
    Richard> contact and liaison with the chairs and we would welcome
    Richard> ID's documenting the organization of this trial, scope
    Richard> and results. As you may know we will eventually want to
    Richard> take 2916 from proposed to draft in the usual IETF manner
    Richard> manner.

Although I can't speak for the UK trial group, I'm sure it will be
happy to do that. Though obviously this will need to be discussed
first. Pretty much everything surrounding the trial will be in the
public domain. The trial will appoint a manager/co-ordinator and one
of their responsibilities will be liaising with other trials, IETF WG
chairs, ITU SG2 and so on.