Subject: [Enum] SIpping-e164 comments

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:33:04 -0800

Here are some comments on sipping-e164..........
4.4 Provisioning multiple NAPTR records ENUM records are not designed to be
updated in real time, 
and therefore ENUM is not a good mechanism for managing particular devices. 
Comment:  This makes an assumption oh how ENUM will be deployed.  There is
no reason that ENUM
could not be updated by a user in real time and the zone files updated more
frequency then the usual 24 hours.  
There has been discussion of zone file updates as often as every fifteen
minutes.  Lets leave the provisioning of NAPTR 
records to the market place to decide how real time the records can be.
5. Processing ENUM records 
Ideally, the recommendations above for authoring NAPTR records will be
followed to the letter; each NAPTR
 record set will contain a SIP URI (and if possible nothing else).   
Comment:  Once again we are making the assumption for the market place.
ENUM is not just for SIP.  
ENUM can be a DNS directory service.  It could easily contain, in the
correct format, all of the usual contact information
that is listed on a business card.

 Cheers!

Kevin

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:13:54 +0100

--On 2002-02-15 11.33 -0800 Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> 4.4 Provisioning multiple NAPTR records ENUM records are not designed to
> be updated in real time, 

The idea behind this was really about "real time" updates because of the
caching mechanism in DNS. I didn't want to bring in a tutorial of DNS in
this document ;-)

> Comment:  This makes an assumption oh how ENUM will be
> deployed.  There is no reason that ENUM
> could not be updated by a user in real time and the zone files updated
> more frequency then the usual 24 hours.

It all depends on what you mean by Real Time. My definition is that if a
user at time N updates his records, at time N+1 (seconds) a client
somewhere should be guaranteed to have the new data.

That can never happen with DNS.

Nothing in DNS says the update should be "usual 24 hours". I have never
heard anything like that. Where have you got that information from? (I am
just curious.)
  
> records to the market place to decide how real time the records can be.

It is important to in some way mention that instant update (or some other
word) will _not_ be possible because of how DNS works.

Exactly how often is up to the DNS, and maybe new inventions in DNS. If you
use dns-notify then the authoritative servers are up to date. If you use
short TTL, then the records themselves will be updated often.

But, the time can not be zero.

I appreciate suggestions on new wording.

> that is listed on a business card.

I agree completely.

  paf

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum