Subject: Re: [Enum] RE: ENUM Part of Call Setup (Was: Implementer's dilemm a)

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:52:04 -0500 (EST)

> Then you have no problem with discussing ENUM support for the
> ETSI TR 101 944 technical requirements functions and service
> interfaces, as well as support of CII IAP functions that are
> part of TIA/EIA/IS-J-STD-025 interface?  These are mandatory
> requirements.

sorry - my random character string translator is broken

this wg is about how to use the DNS to perform a function 
if there is a question about (for example) monitoring that exchange
it is not an enum question - it is a dns question - and does not belong
on this list

Scott

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:07:36 -0800

Not to agree or disagree with any previous comments here are my thoughts.

If a call is made from the PSTN to a VoIP network in which the VoIP
customers only have URL addresses; then a database dip will need to be done
to translate the 10 digit number dialed into a URL for the call to be
completed.  

Whether this database will be ENUM or a priority database operated by the
VoIP carrier is a whole other issue.  Yes, my favorite statement applies
here; 'it is a market place decision'.

Thanks for reading,

Kevin.........

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 12:16 PM
To: Lawrence Conroy; Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine; Stastny,
Richard
Cc: 'Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine'; 'Christian Huitema';
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Enum] RE: ENUM Part of Call Setup (Was: Implementer's
dilemm a)

>
>To which I add:
>    actually, 3GPP include an allusion to ENUM in the IMS documents 
> (TS23.228 -
>a word doc, I'm afraid, so I'll let you retrieve it from ftp.3gpp.org).
>
>This is also in the call setup procedures and is not done by the Mobile.

I've been scratching my head over this thread..... so can some one define 
what is "call setup procedures" ??? Is there some common definition here?

I've always looked at ENUM as a globally authoritive database that can 
convert a name (E.164 number) into a list of possible services. ENUM could 
be part of a set of databases or tables ( local or otherwise)  that can 
assist a network element in making a decision on how to potentially 
terminate (route or switch) a particular media stream.

How and when a look up occurs could be nearly anywhere depending on the 
network configuration and the pathway by which the media stream originates.

>Thus I tend to agree with Chip; whether or not ENUM is initiated within
>the call setup sequence is an applicability issue, not one for 2916.
>
>BTW (mindful that this is an IETF list, so apologies for the inappropriate 
>content):
>(i) it's IP traffic so it's covered by CALEA (or RIPA over here), right?
>(ii) do you really expect and answer to "how do you do it if it's 
>decentralised" ?
>
>all the best,
>   Lawrence
>--
>[email-masked]: +44 1794 833666::<my opinions>:
>

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<