Subject: Re: [Enum] SIpping-e164 comments

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:16:03 -0500

>
>
>5. Processing ENUM records
>Ideally, the recommendations above for authoring NAPTR records will be 
>followed to the letter; each NAPTR
>  record set will contain a SIP URI (and if possible nothing else).
>Comment:  Once again we are making the assumption for the market 
>place.  ENUM is not just for SIP.
>ENUM can be a DNS directory service.

I think the DNS community would prefer it referred to as a database service 
and not as a directory service ..that is part of the problem the DNS now 
faces. Directory has all sorts of specific meanings associated with it.

>  It could easily contain, in the correct format, all of the usual contact 
> information
>that is listed on a business card.

Yes but for any number of reasons this is not a very good idea....A pointer 
to a LDAP that may contain such records might have uses.

But that is a application specific issue...

>  Cheers!
>Kevin

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 09:20:14 -0800

At 11:16 AM 2/17/2002 -0500, Richard Shockey wrote:
>I think the DNS community would prefer it referred to as a database 
>service and not as a directory service ..that is part of the problem the 
>DNS now faces. Directory has all sorts of specific meanings associated with it.

Indeed, the word 'directory' needs to be banned from all discussions 
involving the DNS, except when saying what the DNS is NOT.

Database is a relatively generic and safe term.  However if one seeks ideal 
terminology, it probably is a good idea also to shy away from the word 
database, for fear of invoking a range of generalities that do not apply, 
such as fast update and the caching problem already noted.

Lookup or Mapping are the two words that are most often used to clarify 
what the DNS actual is.

d/

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:34:49 -0800

Rich,

I've no idea what "ENUM can be a DNS directory service." means.

Eric