Subject: Implementer's dilemma (was RE: [Enum] DDDS, DNS clarification needed?)

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:36:20 -0800

> I don not fully understand this discussion. Considering the Zillions
of
> parameters already existing in operation systems and applications, I
do
> not
> see the problem in including the ENUM Root Domain in the Application.
Or
> the
> other way round, if I had to write an ENUM Add-on to Outlook,
Netmeeting
> or
> Messenger, the first thing I would implement is a parameter for the
ENUM
> Root Domain (also considering that the discussion is still not settled
> discussion between IAB and ITU), and second I would implement
additional
> optional parameters for other root domains: e.g. if an number is
entered
> with +, I would go to ENUM Root, with 000 also, any number without 0
or +
> to
> a private root, etc.

Alternately, whoever has to write such an interface to ENUM might just
wait a little for the dust to settle? I believe that there are two
issues to resolve before implementers feel comfortable with ENUM:

1) There is a usability issue to determine when a telephone number has
to be resolved as an identifier (i.e. through ENUM) versus as a routing
index (i.e. through the routing protocol proposed by the INTEL group):
ring that device versus ring the owner of the device.

2) There is a cost benefit issue to determine whether paying the cost of
an ENUM look-up (potentially a second or two) is worth the benefit
(finding useful information).

My personal conclusion is that ENUM look-up SHOULD NOT be performed "in
real-time" during call set-up, since there is ambiguity about the
meaning of entering a phone number in a call procedure and there is a
large probability, at least in the initial phase, that the ENUM database
will not hold any information for a specific number; real-time call
redirection, if needed, can always be performed by the target of the
call, or by the last switch. If I was to implement any support for ENUM,
it would be in an "off-line" procedure e.g. an add-on to the management
of the local address book. Now, if you think "off-line", it is very easy
to look in multiple databases and let the user choose.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:51:02 +0100

> ring that device versus ring the owner of the device.

Clearification question: Do you mean IPTEL, and for example TRIP?

  paf, slightly confused, maybe ;-)