Subject: RE: [Enum] SIpping-e164 comments

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:56:37 -0800

You all missed the point and instead nit picked the words.

ENUM is a directory.  It can contain SIP URIs as well as my cell number or
fax number.  ENUM is not just for call setup.  You can perform an ENUM query
with your browser and get all the information that is normally contained on
a business card.  

We get concerned when the submitted drafts and emails make market
assumptions and do not stick to technical arguments.

Kevin........

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 11:20 AM
To: Richard Shockey
Cc: Kevin McCandless; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Enum] SIpping-e164 comments

At 11:16 AM 2/17/2002 -0500, Richard Shockey wrote:
>I think the DNS community would prefer it referred to as a database 
>service and not as a directory service ..that is part of the problem the 
>DNS now faces. Directory has all sorts of specific meanings associated with
it.

Indeed, the word 'directory' needs to be banned from all discussions 
involving the DNS, except when saying what the DNS is NOT.

Database is a relatively generic and safe term.  However if one seeks ideal 
terminology, it probably is a good idea also to shy away from the word 
database, for fear of invoking a range of generalities that do not apply, 
such as fast update and the caching problem already noted.

Lookup or Mapping are the two words that are most often used to clarify 
what the DNS actual is.

d/

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:39:03 -0800

> ENUM is a directory. 

In the testbed I used in November the components were:

	o one or more instances of bind
	o one or more instances of a SIP Redirect server (plug for Vovida)
	o one or more instances of a SIP UA (plug for Vovida)
	o one Pingtel handset
	o some address spaces (216.220, 159,226, 208.143)
	o some sequences of digits

Where was the directory? What mechanism(s) in combination manifest "directory"?

I'm plumb puzzled. ENOCLUE.

Eric