Subject: [Enum] RE: Richard Stasny's review of brandner-enum-tel

From: "Stastny, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:09:48 +0100

Lawrence wrote

> *	The comments on ss4.1 is well taken.
> As the (public) ENUM entries SHOULD be a full 
> "global_phone_subscriber"
> number (i.e. an E.164 number) there is no need to have a 
> phone-context.
> 
> Adding a sentence to spell out SHOULD NOT use 
> ";phone-context=" in case
> of a "tel:" URI with a full E.164 number is fine. Will add.
> 
> BTW, I am a little concerned that we exclude 1-800 numbers that are
> only "dialable" from a given region, if we make the E.164 
> number a MUST
> which is why it's a SHOULD (and use of phone-context will be a SHOULD
> NOT). I'm not sure if this is a problem, so would appreciate anyone's
> comments on this.
> 

Mmm.., I like the idea of having local or regional 800 and other
applications like this in and was thinking about this the whole time. 

In the brandner draft the phone-context means the context if which the tel:
should be used, that is, you MAY use the tel: if you are in the same context
(or you may upgrade it to a full number by adding the context?). The problem
here is, that it may be not easy to negotiate the context with your service
provider or the context of gateway of the service provider, especially if
you use more than one or if you use in addition the TSP parameter (now my
brain is starting to get overheated).

The second usage of the phone-context (or another context) may be to match
this with the context of your location (a DHCP parameter?), or what you
define to be your location ;-)

Maybe there is an approach like this for (public) ENUM:

First, we have a zone in ENUM for +80012341234 or +18001231234 or
+43800123456

for +80012341234, we enter NAPTR records with the same preference and
 
tel:+49123456;phone-context=+43 -- phone number of call center from Austria
tel:+49123456;phone-context=+49 -- same phone number from Germany
tel:+353123456;phone-context=+44 -- call center in Ireland from UK
tel:+353123456 -- default, if context is unknown

for +18001231234, e.g.:
tel:+12151231234;phone-context=+1215
tel:+12151231234;phone-context=+1412 -- and also from Pittsburgh
etc.

So we may have 2 phone contexts:
caller-location-context and
presented-number-context

There is only one problem with this: most national numbering plans are
loosing the locality now, and it work only for geographic numbers. Maybe the
caller-location context should be given by other codes (specification
required). The other problem is, we start to make DNS an IN SCP, especially
if somebody comes up now with the idea to add a valid from-to time and date
;-)

best regards and good night (for my local context its already to late to
work anyway)
Richard

PS: Will it be possible to create vanity domains under e.164.arpa,
like f.l.o.w.e.r.s.0.0.8.1.e164.arpa? Just joking, this has to be built in
the client.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:51:03 -0500

>First, we have a zone in ENUM for +80012341234 or +18001231234 or

Well you might be interested to know there is some thinking going on along 
these lines:

         Title           : The Calling Party's Category tel URL Parameter
         Author(s)       : J. Peterson
         Filename        : draft-peterson-tel-cpc-00.txt
         Pages           : 9
         Date            : 27-Feb-02

This document specifies a new parameter for the tel URL [1] that
represents the Calling Party's Category, a parameter used in SS7 ISUP
[2] signaling.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-peterson-tel-cpc-00.txt

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<