Subject: [Enum] 2916bis

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:59:22 +0100

I have here compiled a list of things to be changed to RFC 2916 when
2916bis is created.

(1) It must be made clear that ENUM service is a delegation in the
e164.arpa domain

(2) It must be explained how ENUM-like mechanisms can be used for for
example private dialing plans even though e164.arpa is the tree where ENUM
is located

(3) The use of NAPTR should instead of being some handwaving be a proper
DDDS specification according to the DDDS documents which replaces RFC 2915

(4) A registration mechanism must be created for the first part of the flag
field

(5) Registrations must be made in separate documents for some basic flags,
especially LDAP and TEL which have been asked especially how to handle

(6) Privacy issues must be described more clearly in the security
consideration section which explains that some privacy issues can be
resolved via storage in a secondary storage, like an LDAP database, which
uses an access protocol which can handle authentication and other needed
security mechanisms

(7) Loops must be specified how to detect (i.e. a paragraph should be added
which explains the traditional need for convergence)

(8) Examples must be corrected and made mode clear. For example, there
should be absolutely no confusion about full regular expressions are used.
I.e. any delimiter and any matchingh mechanism can be used

All of this leads to the need for the following document(s) in this wg:

  - 2916bis
  - Registration procedure of ENUM flag fields
  - Flag field registration for whatever needed for TEL URI scheme
  - Flag field registration for whatever needed for SIP URI scheme
  - Flag field registration for whatever needed for MAILTO URI scheme
  - Flag field registration for whatever needed for LDAP URI scheme

I will take care of 2916bis, but as wg co-chair I would appreciate people
interested in working on the other documents.

I suggest we take these 8 issues (and maybe others) as main agenda items on
the IETF meeting in Minneapolis. Further, we add the flag field
discussions, if we have takes, to the agenda aswell.

    paf

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum