Subject: RE: [Enum] DDDS, DNS clarification needed?

From: "Shaw, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:48:03 +0100

> > Question - Should the process of converting a key to DNS-suitable
> > form append a "well known constant" domain (e.g. ENUM_ROOT_DOMAIN),
> > rather than "hard-wiring" the domain?
> > The value of this constant is ".e164.arpa.", of course, and it *is*
> > a generalisation, but this may be useful in the future.
> 
> I think this would be useful. Apart from anything else, it 
> means that you can set up testbeds simply by changing the value of 
> ENUM_ROOT_DOMAIN. If software expected to do this, the value would 
> be configurable rather than hardwired, with obvious benefits.

This is prudent. While there are interim procedures to use 
e164.arpa (www.ripe.net/enum/) and strongly held views that 
this zone is the most appropriate there are equally strongly
held views by some ITU Member States that without wishing to
impede testing, there is a need for further review and discussion 
of the objective technical, operational and administrative 
criteria for the use of this zone. These discussions are still
going on in ITU-T SG2. 

As an example, from a technical or operational perspective, 
such a list of criteria might be found in Annex F of the document 
at http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/workshop/enum/004.html. 

Bob
--
Robert Shaw <[email-masked]>
ITU Internet Strategy and Policy Advisor
International Telecommunication Union <http://www.itu.int>
Place des Nations, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:26:28 -0800

the idea of different e164.foos is great.  it should be used to map the
different global numbering plans, you know, the ones where north america
is +42, +666, etc.  for the nonce, we will use e164.arpa to map the
current prosaic global numbering plan, where north america is +1.

btw, when will the itu be publishing these alternate numbering plans?

randy

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:05:26 -0800

Amusing(?) hyperbole aside, the real question for people interested in
actually implementing this stuff (as opposed to going to meetings and
talking about it) isn't "when", but "where".  It is all fine and dandy for
the IESG/IAB folks to declare the telephone number mapping into the DNS is
in "e164.arpa" (and redefine "arpa" to try to make it more palatable),
however if the PTTs and telcos of the world (you remember, the folks who
tend to have apartments in Geneva) don't play along, software
implementations will almost certainly have to have append the domain string
that the PTTs and telcos agree upon.

It doesn't matter a whole lot to an ENUM client implementation if it looks
up 3.0.0.6.1.8.3.0.5.6.1.e164.arpa or 3.0.0.6.1.8.3.0.5.6.1.tel.itu.int.  It
does matter if the conjunction is "and".

Rgds,
-drc

---

From: Lawrence Conroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:24:29 +0000

>btw, when will the itu be publishing these alternate numbering plans?
OK folks,
mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
  I hereby promise to remove all reference to ENUM_ROOT or ENUM_ROOT_DOMAIN
from anything I write.

As for the e164 root canal draft to which I assume this post relates, I
note an error in the issue date; it should be Easter Monday, surely?
  These Americans are Soooo crazy.

best regards,
    Lawrence
-- 
[email-masked]: +44 1794 833666::<my opinions>: