Subject: [Enum] Revised ENUM Working Group Charter

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:35:51 -0500

After considerable discussions with the Area Directors the Co-Chairs have 
proposed the following new charter to the IESG for the WG.

Comments are, of course, welcome.

E.164 Number Mapping (enum)

Chair(s):
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

Transport Area Director(s):
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

Transport Area Advisor:
mailto:[email-masked]

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/enum/

Description of Working Group:

This working group has defined a DNS-based architecture and protocol [RFC 
2916]by which an E.164 number, as defined in ITU Recommendation E.164, can 
be expressed as a Fully Qualified Domain Name in a specific Internet 
Infrastructure domain defined for this purpose (e164.apra). The result of 
the ENUM query is a series of DNS NAPTR resource records [RFC2915]  which 
can be used to contact a resource (e.g.URI) associated with that number.

The Working Group proposes to advance RFC 2916 from Draft Standard to 
Proposed Standard.

Background:

E.164 numbers are globally unique, language independent identifiers for 
resources on the Public Switched Telephone Network that can support many 
different services and protocols. E.164 numbers are used to identify 
ordinary phones, fax machines, pagers, data modems, email clients, text 
terminals for the hearing impaired, etc.

Client applications can process DNS NAPTR resource records to discover 
protocols that are supported by end points, but may also require more 
information than just the telephone number to communicate with the terminal.

The holder of an E.164 number or device may wish to control what URI's, are 
associated with that number.

Implementation of RFC 2916 must allow for different service providers, 
competing openly, to provision the data base of end point information 
required by clients to reach the desired the terminal device or service 
named by a E.164 number.

Working Group Revised Goals and Scope:

1.      The working group will update RFC 2916 to reflect the ongoing 
revision of RFC 2915 and advance RFC 2916 to Standards Track.

2.      The working group will examine the existing domain name registry / 
registrar model to determine how it may be applied to the registration and 
provisioning of E.164 numbers in e164.arpa as defined in RFC 2916 and 
document as Informational.

3.      The working group will examine and document various aspects of ENUM 
administrative and/or operational procedures as Informational. Issues to be 
considered include privacy and security considerations in storing ENUM 
related data as well as validation and authentication of data, including 
RFC 2915 (and revisions) NAPTR records in the DNS.

4.      The Working Group will continue maintain appropriate contact and 
liaison with standards bodies and groups, specifically ITU-T SG2, in order 
to provide technical or educational information as needed, such as the 
appropriate use of DNS.  The Working Group will encourage the exchange of 
technical information within the emerging global ENUM community as well as 
documentation on practical experiences with implementations or 
administration of RFC 2916.

Document deliverables:

1.      Revise and update RFC 2916 appropriate to revision of RFC 2915 and 
advance to Standards Track June 2002

2.      Document appropriate ENUM Registration and Provisioning Procedures 
(Informational) April 2002

3.      Document appropriate ENUM Operational Security, Privacy Issues and 
Procedures (Informational)  May 2002

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice 571.434.5651 Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:43:50 -0500

> The Working Group proposes to advance RFC 2916 from Draft Standard to 

Taking a step backwards, are we?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 16:46:51 +0100

> Taking a step backwards, are we?

Regardless how many times one read a document like this, errors still
exists....sigh...

Thanks Jonathan!

   paf

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:54:50 -0500

>Regardless how many times one read a document like this, errors still

like DUH !!   Thank you Jonathan ...

---

From: Ray Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:19:56 +0000

Richard,

At 10:35 03/01/2002 -0500, Richard Shockey wrote:
>different services and protocols.

I'm fairly sure that E.164 numbering is used beyond the Public Switched 
Telephone Network, for example  in areas like UMTS and GSM/GPRS (Mobile 
Networks)

Ray Anderson    Bango.net Limited  www.bango.net/00454545
The Mobile Internet is for everyone. It must be very easy to use
Tel +44 1223 472788  Fax +44 20 7692 5558   [email-masked]  TBM7 209

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:34:39 -0500

>Telephone Network, for example  in areas like UMTS and GSM/GPRS (Mobile 

I think I should just say that  " are globally, unique language independent 
identifiers for resources on telephony networks that can ...."

Sound better?

---

From: Ray Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:48:18 +0000

Perhaps just say "Public Telecommunication Network" instead of PSTN, and 
say that the numbers
are used as "identifiers" rather than as "identifiers for resources"

E.164 is a numbering plan for Public Telecommunications Networks (as 
opposed to private ones)
- not surprising, since it was devised by the "Public Telecommunications 
Operators" (PTO's)

At 12:34 07/01/2002 -0500, Richard Shockey wrote:
>I think I should just say that  " are globally, unique language 
>independent identifiers for resources on telephony networks that can ...."
>
>Sound better?
>
>
>
>
>

Ray Anderson T:+44 1223 472788 F:+44 20 7692 5558
mailto:[email-masked]   www.bango.net/00454545  TBM7-209