Subject: [Enum] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:29:40 -0500

FYI ... I'd like to poll the list to see if there is consensus that this is 
appropriate for the WG to take on.  It will meet the new charter 
requirements etc.

>To: IETF-Announce: ;
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt
>Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:52:57 -0500
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>         Title           : Extensible Provisioning Protocol E.164 Number 
> Mapping
>         Author(s)       : S. Hollenbeck
>         Filename        : draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt
>         Pages           : 19
>         Date            : 24-Jan-02
>
>This document describes an Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)
>extension mapping for the provisioning and management of E.164 numbers
>representing domain names stored in a shared central repository.
>Specified in XML, this mapping extends the EPP domain name mapping to
>provide additional features required for the provisioning of E.164
>numbers.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
>ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>         "get draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>         [email-masked].
>In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt".
>
>NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>         how to manipulate these messages.
>
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt>

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:51:22 -0800

Richard,

I strongly support the ENUM WG taking up this item.

Eric

---

From: "Mark Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:39:19 -0500

Hi Richard and all:

It seems to make sense to take this on in the WG.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Richard Shockey
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 10:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Enum] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:04:52 -0800

> I strongly support the ENUM WG taking up this item.

but could you tell us WHY?  i.e. what has this to do with the charter of
the wg and why?

randy

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:35:54 -0500

>but could you tell us WHY?  i.e. what has this to do with the charter of

I'll answer that ...the proposed new charter states..

2. The working group will examine and document various aspects of ENUM
    administrative and/or operational procedures as Informational. Issues
    to be considered include privacy and security considerations in
    storing ENUM related data as well as validation and authentication
    of data, including DDDS NAPTR records in the DNS. The working group will
    coordinate activities in these areas with the DNSEXT WG and
    PROVREG WG when appropriate.

Applications may need to be developed that provision NAPTR records among 
various operational elements in the e164.apra domain... discussions that 
assist in these admin issues are therefore "in scope".

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:53:32 -0800

Randy,

Responsibility for schema is either ENUM or PROVREG. PROVREG isn't an
application-independent extensible (abstract) registry provisioning
protocol specification WG, yet.

As a PROVREG author, i'd prefer specific apps, e.g., ENUM, to be responsible
for their own schemas.

IMHO, PROVREG is best left to grapple with issues like the statefullness of
EPP-participant entities, the flavors of transport between EPP entities, and
other amusing ICANN-esque nuances.

Adding the market politics of enum _would_not_ be helpful if moved to PROVREG.

---
Scott's draft doesn't fall into the current charter's statement of non-goals.

The current charter calls for specification of "update". This function is not
present in the WG's current documents. I've got a testbed, I populate it via
EPP, I'm interested in updates. QED.

Eric
wampumpeag, llc

---

From: Rob Freilich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:35:25 -0600

Richard,

I support the ENUM WG take on this work item on.  IMHO, this work item
should define extensions to the EPP data schemes that would allow for the
provisioning of E.164 numbers within e164.arpa domain.  I am not sure how
much this work item should diverge or appear to diverge from standard EPP.

In addition, I would also recommend that it accept inputs from other ENUM
Fora that are emerging, since they are better suited to define the
content/data items that should be included in the extensions. These
additional data items go beyond the fields described in RFCs 2915 and 2916.

Just my 2 cents..

Rob Freilich
972-729-5139

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]  On Behalf Of
Richard Shockey
Sent:	Friday, January 25, 2002 9:30 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[Enum] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-02.txt

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:27:42 -0500

>much this work item should diverge or appear to diverge from standard EPP.

That's the issue and what are the optional transport layers... EPP, BEEP, 
SOAP .. take your pick..

>additional data items go beyond the fields described in RFCs 2915 and 2916.

I certainly hope so since the draft cut off dates will be upon us in no time.

If you want slots to speak in Minneapolis and you have a draft out there 
.... let me know.

Other emerging ENUM fora are more than welcome to offer up an ID to report 
on ongoing activities etc.  Bob your draft was a excellent first start.