Subject: Re: [Enum] Who Is?

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:04:35 -0800

>I always thought that WHOIS serves certain purposes. One is, to provide
>information on technical contacts to ensure the proper operation of the DNS.

WHOIS servers are maintained by address registries, as well as domain name
registries. 

>IMHO we should try to set up the requirements on a WHOIS for ENUM first,
>before making statements like ...

In no particular order (except perhaps reversed lexical):

	the wesson whois draft
	the faltstrom and kosters whois draft
	the hall whois ldap draft
	the campbell whois draft
	the brunner whois draft

And elsewhere:

	the icann dnso whois task force

And still elsewhere:

	the iab (internet advertising board) and dma (direct mail assn) and
	wap forum and ... works of art.

Please determine the application domain specific [ENUM] query mechanism
requirements, if jurisdictional scope arises, so be it. if it makes some
sense to call the resulting protocol "whois", so be it.

There are two mailing lists which i'm aware of, relating to rfc954:

	http://www.imc.org/ietf-whois/mail-archive/
And
	http://lists.research.netsol.com/pipermail/ietf-not43/

Just as I don't want ENUM fun-and-games to spill over into PROVREG, but do
want an schema for provisioning ENUM registries via EPP, I don't want ENUM
fun-and-games to spill over into any (eventual) WHOIS:43 or WHOIS!43 BoFs
or WGs.

I suggest if there are requirements, they get thrashed out here, when ripe.

Eric

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum