Subject: SV: [Enum] Revised ENUM Working Group Charter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:23:01 +0100

Hello

Some small comments:

Will .e164.apra solve the problems that .e164.arpa have started or is it
just a printing error?

E.164-number are also resources in the ISDN, PLMN(GSM) and PLMN(UMTS), not
just for the PSTN.

Sincerely

Joakim Strålmark
National Post & Telecom Agency
Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]]
Skickat: den 3 januari 2002 16:36
Till: [email-masked]
Ämne: [Enum] Revised ENUM Working Group Charter

After considerable discussions with the Area Directors the Co-Chairs have 
proposed the following new charter to the IESG for the WG.

Comments are, of course, welcome.

E.164 Number Mapping (enum)

Chair(s):
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

Transport Area Director(s):
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

Transport Area Advisor:
mailto:[email-masked]

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/enum/

Description of Working Group:

This working group has defined a DNS-based architecture and protocol [RFC 
2916]by which an E.164 number, as defined in ITU Recommendation E.164, can 
be expressed as a Fully Qualified Domain Name in a specific Internet 
Infrastructure domain defined for this purpose (e164.apra). The result of 
the ENUM query is a series of DNS NAPTR resource records [RFC2915]  which 
can be used to contact a resource (e.g.URI) associated with that number.

The Working Group proposes to advance RFC 2916 from Draft Standard to 
Proposed Standard.

Background:

E.164 numbers are globally unique, language independent identifiers for 
resources on the Public Switched Telephone Network that can support many 
different services and protocols. E.164 numbers are used to identify 
ordinary phones, fax machines, pagers, data modems, email clients, text 
terminals for the hearing impaired, etc.

Client applications can process DNS NAPTR resource records to discover 
protocols that are supported by end points, but may also require more 
information than just the telephone number to communicate with the terminal.

The holder of an E.164 number or device may wish to control what URI's, are 
associated with that number.

Implementation of RFC 2916 must allow for different service providers, 
competing openly, to provision the data base of end point information 
required by clients to reach the desired the terminal device or service 
named by a E.164 number.

Working Group Revised Goals and Scope:

1.      The working group will update RFC 2916 to reflect the ongoing 
revision of RFC 2915 and advance RFC 2916 to Standards Track.

2.      The working group will examine the existing domain name registry / 
registrar model to determine how it may be applied to the registration and 
provisioning of E.164 numbers in e164.arpa as defined in RFC 2916 and 
document as Informational.

3.      The working group will examine and document various aspects of ENUM 
administrative and/or operational procedures as Informational. Issues to be 
considered include privacy and security considerations in storing ENUM 
related data as well as validation and authentication of data, including 
RFC 2915 (and revisions) NAPTR records in the DNS.

4.      The Working Group will continue maintain appropriate contact and 
liaison with standards bodies and groups, specifically ITU-T SG2, in order 
to provide technical or educational information as needed, such as the 
appropriate use of DNS.  The Working Group will encourage the exchange of 
technical information within the emerging global ENUM community as well as 
documentation on practical experiences with implementations or 
administration of RFC 2916.

Document deliverables:

1.      Revise and update RFC 2916 appropriate to revision of RFC 2915 and 
advance to Standards Track June 2002

2.      Document appropriate ENUM Registration and Provisioning Procedures 
(Informational) April 2002

3.      Document appropriate ENUM Operational Security, Privacy Issues and 
Procedures (Informational)  May 2002

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice 571.434.5651 Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:31:01 -0500

>Will .e164.apra solve the problems that .e164.arpa have started or is it

again ..typing error that slipped past the 5 people that reviewed it. Its 
still .arpa and those issues still exist though we are aware that the next 
SG2 Rappatours meeting will be discussing these at some length we can 
certainly hope the remaining issues can be cleared up.

I understand there is considerable interest in beginning testing in Sweden 
at the earliest possible date.

>E.164-number are also resources in the ISDN, PLMN(GSM) and PLMN(UMTS), not

Well that is an excellent point ..is it your view that the scope should be 
restricted to only that part of the plan that involves resources in the 
E.164 plan related to the PSTN?