Subject: [Enum] Re: [Sipping] Feedback on draft-ietf-sipping-e164-00.txt

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:17:25 -0500

At 05:21 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, Robert H. Walter wrote:
>Hi Ben,
>
> > The resulting URI MUST be resolved according to the normal SIP
> > address resolution rules. A SIP application MUST ignore a resulting
> > URI if the service field does not contain a service it understands.
> > Since the only schema that are universally understood by SIP user
> > agents are "sip" and "tel", URIs with service fields other than
> > "sip+E2U" and "tel+E2U" SHOULD NOT be present in DNS for the purpose
> > of being used by a SIP UA.
>
>The first sentence of this paragraph is well stated.  The last
>sentence unnecessarily constrains the use of the NAPTR service field.
>There are multiple communication services (e.g. Voice, SMS, Voice
>Messaging, etc.) that may benefit from SIP interoperability and the
>ability for a client UA to address an end-point for the specific
>service using an E.164 number.

well on this point I totally disagree... there is no reason to create 
granularity in ENUM resolution by SIP through the use of the service 
field... SIP is totally capable of negotiating capabilities of endpoints 
without hints.

this draft is correct is one point there is one SIP service field ..that is 
SIP + E2U SMTP is another case.

>See the following I-D for more details:
>
>Abstract
>
>   This document describes a set of ENUM resolution protocols and
>   services that enable communication applications to interoperate with
>   and unambiguously differentiate between multiple communications
>   services associated with an E.164 telephone number.
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-walter-ranalli-enum-service-01.txt
>
>Bob
>
>======================================================================
>Robert H. Walter - CTO, VP Engineering                tel:+19788482831
>NetNumber, Inc.                                       fax:+19784545044
>650 Suffolk Street                        mailto:[email-masked]
>Lowell, MA  01854
>
>_______________________________________________
>Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
>This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
>Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
>Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice 571.434.5651 Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum