Subject: [Enum] Re: enum digest, Vol 1 #308 - 5 msgs

From: Richard D G Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 13:58:57 GMT

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:00:50 +0000 Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> In the UK we have a range of telephone numbers that are *not* part of E.164
> number space.

Not only are they not part of E.164 number space, they are not even telephone
numbers.  They are correctly described as "Access Codes".

> codes 11800 to 11899 will soon be in use to access directory assistance
> operators, and it strikes me as reasonable for users to be able to use
> ENUM to get at related services.

The point is that the majority of these codes are originating-network
specific ... even if (in the case of "Type A" access codes the target is
consistent in nature, it is unlikely (except in the case of the emergency
access codes, 112 and 999) to be the same destination.  Those destinations
are usually no more than number translations (and in all cases can be made
to be so).  Access via ENUM is less likely to fit the service model of the
offerings behind these access codes, and it should be a matter for those
offering those services to decide whether the ENUM approach is appropriate
for them (in which case they will presumably provide a parallel E.164 number
which would then be transparent to ENUM).

Indeed, in WZ1 there are very few equivalents of our "level-1" access codes
simply because the historic regulatory model would restrict access to the
directly-connected customers of the appropriate Telco.  Thus the Services
in  the US that would be behind Access Codes in the UK, are already on
10-digit numbers in WZ1 - can we say 1-800 OPERATER or 1-800 COLLECT here?)

> Is there any mileage in exploring this further ?

not even inch-age (SOrry!)

> Such numbers can be dialled within the same area code without using the
> code.

For the record, while this is mostly true, there are exceptions.

-- 
Richard D G Cox <[email-masked]>
+44 29 2031 1111

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum