Subject: [Enum] draft-allocchio-gstn-00.txt - request for comments!

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:59:39 +0100

Hallo,

I would like to explicitly point your attention to the following draft 
which was just published:

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>	Title		: Text string notation for Dial Sequences and GSTN / 
>                         E.164 addresses
>	Filename	: draft-allocchio-gstn-00.txt
>	
>This memo describes the full set of notations needed to represent
>in a text string a Dial Sequence. A Dial Sequence is normally
>composed by Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) elements [1] plus 
>separators and the additional 'actions' (such as 'wait for
>dialtone', 'pause for N secs', etc.) which could be needed to 
>successfully establish the connection with the target service:
>this includes the cases where subaddresses or DTMF menu navigation 
>apply. Global Switched Telephone Numbers (GSTN) / E.164 addresses 
>(commonly called 'telephone numbers') [2] are a subset of a Dial 
>Sequence, and thus use the same set of notations.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-allocchio-gstn-00.txt

As already stated in the abstract, the intention for this document is to 
provide a unique syntax for Dial Sequences, including expecially phone 
numbers as a subset. The definitions contained in the draft actually come 
from existing Draft Standard and Proposed Standard specifications, but 
were collected here to provide a quick, easy and unique reference 
document for anybody needing this particualr encoding. The original idea 
comes from the Application Area Directors, and I made the collection and 
edited the I-D.

As some of you already did (thank you indeed !), spotting some needed 
corrections, I kindly invite you to provide me your comments and 
suggestions. They will also be useful to the revision of the Draft and 
Proposed standards the definitions come from.

Thank you all, and regards!

Claudio Allocchio
ietf fax wg co-chair

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:56:54 +0100

Hallo,

thanks to all who already sent in their commments, I already included in 
the "01" version in preparation the following changes:

Section 3.2

      local-phone =  [ exit-code ] dial-number

      local-phone =/ exit-code [ dial-number ]

(...)

   Notes:
      the "+" character is reserved for use in global-phone and MUST NOT
      be used in a local-phone string;

      please note that a local-phone string MUST NOT be a null string,
      i.e. at least an exit-code, or a dial-number or both MUST be
      present.
                                              
*** in fact the local-phone string cannot be a null string!

Section 6

   A Dial Sequence using exit-code "0", a wait for dial tone,
   local-phone for an International "800" toll-free number dialled
   from Beglium (international prefix "00"), and a post-dial sequence
   to access a voice mailbox with userID "334422" and Personal
   Identification Number (PIN) code "1234":

      0w00800-39380023pp334422p1234

*** the previous example was WRONG !

Section 7

   This proposal creates a full standard text encoding for Dial
   Sequences, including GSTN / E.164 addresses, and thus provides a
   unique common representation method both for standard protocols
   and applications.

   Some definitions, like these corresponding to an alias of the generic
   phone-string element, are somewhat a theoretical distinction; however
   they are useful to provide a more subtle distinction, allowing other
   specifications to be more exact in a consistent way, too.

   The proposal is consistent with existing standard specifications.

*** it seems that expliciting the reason why exit-code, phone-dial, 
post-dial etc... exists is a good idea.

Section 9

      global-phone = "+" 1*( DIGIT / written-sep )

      local-phone =  [ exit-code ] dial-number

      local-phone =/ exit-code [ dial-number ]

*** consequently also the local-phone definition here has been updated, 
and an ABNF syntax error was corrected, too

Ok, all these changes will be included in version "01", and anything else 
needed after your comments, too.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claudio Allocchio             G   A   R   R          [email-masked]
                        Project Technical Officer
tel: +39 040 3758523      Italian Academic and       G=Claudio; S=Allocchio;
fax: +39 040 3758565        Research Network         P=garr; A=garr; C=it;

     PGP Key: http://security.fi.infn.it/cgi-bin/spgpk.pl?KeyId=0C5C2A09

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum