Subject: [Enum] FYI: Papers on ENUM from TPRC 2001

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 21:06:44 -0400

Papers from the The 29th Research Conference on Communication, Information 
and Internet Policy October 27-29, 2001 Alexandria, Virginia

http://www.tprc.org/TPRC01/agenda01.htm#enum

much interesting reading ...

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice 571.434.5651 Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.com>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Rutkowski, Tony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 22:27:50 -0400

Hi Richard,

If this list is to be used for policy discussions,
the more significant paper (and notably omitted 
from the paper you cite) is the U.S. government's
statement on ENUM policy.  A copy can be found at:

http://www.ngi.org/enum/geneva200109/46_ww9.doc

--tony

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 23:05:11 -0400

>http://www.ngi.org/enum/geneva200109/46_ww9.doc

Tony, Patrik and I have stated in the past we would like to generally 
restrict this list to technical issues involving 2916 etc and we hope to 
restart those issues shortly.

That said .. this list has a large audience of people interested in ENUM 
related issues and if there is something that might be of FYI interest that 
can be encapsulated in a URL, that is IMHO within the definition of 
"acceptable use".

I simply posted a URL ..nothing more. There were multiple papers listed 
there of diverse opinion. I offered no judgement on any of them only that 
they deserved reading.

Others ..including various National ENUM forums that are discussing ENUM 
implementation issues are welcome post URL's here as well about their 
ongoing work and I hope they do so. That does not mean this list is 
appropriate for discussions of how the UK or Japan or the US chooses to 
implement policy surrounding 2916..it only means that this list would, from 
time to time like to see URL's for documents from various forums in order 
for us to judge for ourselves what is going on.

There may be a necessity to comment on technical issues raised by various 
national implementations in the sprit of peer review but I'm hoping those 
can be contained to technical issues and not pure policy. I know that will 
be difficult.

You are most welcome to do the same ... as you have in the past and I'm 
sure you will in the future.

---

From: "Rutkowski, Tony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:18:59 -0400

Hi Richard,

In light of your encouraging pointing to relevant information about
implementations and related developments, the list participants will
find the following recent announcements significant.  It underscores 
the wisdom of the USGOV's decision to adopt a competitive, multiple
ENUM Neutrality policy for encouraging industry driven developments in 
making these services a reality and facilitating their rapid evolution.

NETNUMBER SELECTS VERISIGN REGISTRY
FOR GLOBAL ENUM SERVICES
Provides NetNumber with Immediate Worldwide Scalability 
and Reliable Infrastructure to Deploy
First Commercial Directory for Internet Telephony
http://www.netnumber.com/news/10-9-01Verisign.pdf

VeriSign to Acquire Illuminet 
Acquisition reinforces strategy to extend digital trust 
services beyond the Internet to telephony and other 
network systems 
http://corporate.verisign.com/news/2001/pr_20010924.html

--tony