Subject: RE: [Enum] Revised Charter and Work Plan for ENUM WG

From: Kevin McCandless <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:04:21 -0700

Possible enhancements to the new charter could be as follows:

1)  Identify the valid NAPTR records and formats for all possible services
and update RFC2916.
2)  Identify enhancements need, protocol etc, that need to be made to allow
such applications as IE to perform ENUM queries.
3)  Work with other task groups to develop possible application uses for the
ENUM protocol.  Add these as an appendix to RFC 2916

Your items 2-4 look good.

Also, would recommend a meeting at the 52 IETF.

Let the flaming begin.........

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 7:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Enum] Revised Charter and Work Plan for ENUM WG

After consultation with the area directors Patrik and myself have developed 
a revised charter and work plan for going forward.

The WG had gone into "slumber mode" after IETF Pittsburgh. In our judgement 
there is left over work to complete and there is sufficient new activity in 
various venues to justify considering technical work related to ENUM 
operations & implementations.

At this time since we have no active ID's on the plate so there is no need 
to have a meeting in Salt Lake unless there is demand for it.

The revised charter is open for comments:

#####################################

Telephone Number Mapping (enum)

Chair(s):
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

Transport Area Director(s):
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

Transport Area Advisor:
mailto:[email-masked]

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/enum/

Description of Working Group:

This working group has defined a DNS-based architecture and protocol [RFC 
2916] for mapping a telephone number to a set of attributes (e.g. URI's) 
which can be used to contact a resource associated with that number.

Background:
Telephone numbers now identify many different types of end terminals, 
supporting many different services and protocols. Telephone numbers are 
used to identify ordinary phones, fax machines, pagers, data modems, email 
clients, text terminals for the hearing impaired, etc.
A prospective caller may wish to discover which services and protocols are 
supported by the terminal named by a given telephone number. The caller may 
also require more information than just the telephone number to communicate 
with the terminal.
 From the call recipient's perspective, the owner of the telephone number 
or device may wish to control what URI's, calling parties may receive.
The architecture must allow for different service providers, competing 
openly, to provision the data base of end point information required by 
clients to reach the desired the terminal device or service named by a 
telephone number.

Working Group Revised Goals and Scope:
1.      The working group will, from a technical viewpoint describe how the 
registry/registrar model used for DNS provisioning could be applied to the 
global ENUM based branches of the DNS hierarchy and document various 
aspects of ENUM administrative / operational procedures within that context 
as Informational
2.      The working group will update RFC 2916 to reflect the ongoing 
revision of RFC 2915.
3.      The working group will consider various aspects of privacy, 
security, validation, authentication and provisioning of the global ENUM 
branches of the DNS including RFC 2915 (and revisions) records as 
Informational. Such documents could be used as models for various national 
implementations of RFC 2916 by the appropriate authorities over those 
portions of the global ENUM namespace.
4.      The Working Group will continue maintain contact and liaison with 
appropriate standards bodies and groups in order to coordinate activities 
and provide appropriate technical input when required, in particular ITU 
Study Group 2 and other national ENUM administrative forums. The Working 
Group, in the sprit of technical exchange, will welcome technical 
information, updates etc.,  from various national ENUM administration 
forums, other standards bodies, as well as documentation on practical 
experiences with implementations of RFC 2916.

Document deliverables:
1.      Revise and update RFC 2916 appropriate to revision of RFC 2915 
(Standards Track)  April  2002
2.      Document appropriate ENUM Administrative Procedures (Informational) 
March 2002
3.      Document appropriate ENUM Operational Procedures 
(Informational)  May 2002
4.      Document appropriate ENUM Provisioning Procedures and Data Sets 
(Informational) TBD

No Current Internet-Drafts
Request For Comments:
E.164 number and DNS (RFC 2916) (18159 bytes)

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice 571.434.5651 Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.com>
<http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Robert H. Walter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:40:03 -0500

Hi Kevin,

> ENUM protocol.  Add these as an appendix to RFC 2916

A new enum I-D entitled "ENUM Resolution Protocols and Services" was
submitted yesterday to the I-D editor and the enum wg chairs.  This
draft addresses #1 on your list in that it proposes the standardization
of the ENUM resolution protocols and services to promote communications
application interoperability and eliminate communications service ambiguity.

It should appear in the Internet Draft repository soon under
draft-walter-ranalli-enum-service-00.txt.

Regards,

Bob Walter
NetNumber, Inc.

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:21:28 -0500

>draft-walter-ranalli-enum-service-00.txt.

I think this will be a useful document to consider ...but it is also clear 
that specific application WG's are taking up some of these matters 
independently ... clearly the VPIM work group is well advanced in its 
thinking (I've cross posted some of the relevant documents )and I'm 
reasonably confident that the new SIPPING WG may take up the issue of 
defining SIP parameters and usage in ENUM.