Subject: RE: [Enum] fyi RE: I-D ACTION:draft-dommety-e212-dns-00.txt

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:21:42 -0700

--On 01-06-28 16.50 +0200 "Shaw, Robert" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Isn't this Q.1901 (BICC)? When you say "existing IP network", do you mean 
> tunneling over the Internet or a private IP-based roaming network? 
> With QoS and security issues, I'd imagine it'd have to be latter - 
> something like GRX. If it's the latter, why would you put IMSIs 
> into the public DNS? It'd be either a split or private DNS, wouldn't 
> it? With the potential for fraud, I cannot imagine what would merit 
> putting these into the public DNS. 

If it is a separate IP network which doesn't have connectivity to what I
would call Internet (capital 'I'), then you _have_ to have your own DNS
hierarchy, with private root servers and the whole nine yards. If it has
connectivity with the Internet, then you always have the same issues with
what you call "fraud" regardless if you use your own "private DNS" or not.

Whether this is a real issue or not for getting the functionality you want
to get, I don't know. You should though look at the whole picture, and not
at the DNS lookup service by itself.

    paf

Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>                         Cisco Systems
Consulting Engineer                                  Office of the CSO
Phone: (Stockholm) +46-8-6859131            (San Jose) +1-408-525-8509
        PGP: 2DFC AAF6 16F0 F276 7843  2DC1 BC79 51D9 7D25 B8DC

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum