Subject: [Enum] DNS question

From: Burks Janus-FJB034 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:19:58 -0500

I have a question about the following draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-operation-02.txt

It has the following example in section 6.1
1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa 
	IN NAPTR 102 10 "u" "tel+E2U" "!^.*$!tel:+987654321!" . 
	IN NAPTR 10 10 "u" "sip+E2U" "!+(.*)!sip:[email-masked]!" . 
*.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa 
	IN NAPTR 102 10 "u" "tel+E2U" "!^.*$!tel:+987654321!" . 
	IN NAPTR 10 10 "u" "sip+E2U" "!+(.*)!sip:[email-masked]!" . 
1.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa 
	IN NAPTR 10 10 "u" "sip+E2U" "!^.*$!sip:[email-masked]!" . 
	IN NAPTR 102 10 "u" "tel+E2U" "!^.*$!tel:+987654321!" . 

There is a problem (? limitation) with DNS.  Using this example, assuming
these three entries only, if you call 987654321102, the DNS query will come
back with unknown entry.

One of the following entries is needed in order to support 987654321102 in
this same server.  It will not default to the attendant without one of these
entries.

*.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa 
	IN NAPTR 102 10 "u" "tel+E2U" "!^.*$!tel:+987654321!" . 
	IN NAPTR 10 10 "u" "sip+E2U" "!+(.*)!sip:[email-masked]!" . 
2.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa 
	IN NAPTR 102 10 "u" "tel+E2U" "!^.*$!tel:+987654321!" . 
	IN NAPTR 10 10 "u" "sip+E2U" "!+(.*)!sip:[email-masked]!" . 

A combination of default entries and explicit entries is very complex to
specify.

If you make an explicit entry(1.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa ), then you
must make explicit entries for all numbers of that domain
(1.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa  through
9.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa ) that you wish to support or make a
wildcard entry for that specific domain (*.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa
).  This same rule applies for all levels of the domain.

Is this what was intended for ENUM?

Jan Burks
************************************************************
Motorola, NSS/NSG/iDEN/SAG         Mail Stop: S258-2
Phone: (817) 245-2540              5401 N. Beach St. 
Pager: 1800-sky-tel2,pin 245-2540  Fort Worth, TX 76137-2794
> Email: mailto:[email-masked]
> Pager email: mailto:[email-masked]
> 2-way pager: http://www.skytel.com/Paging/pageme.cgi?pin=2452540,2
************************************************************

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:46:10 -0700

--On 01-06-27 17.19 -0500 Burks Janus-FJB034 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> these three entries only, if you call 987654321102, the DNS query will
> come back with unknown entry.

There are also syntactic errors in the example.

> this same server.  It will not default to the attendant without one of
> these entries.
> 

Wildcards in DNS is "not a good thing" and should not be used.

> If you make an explicit entry(1.0.1.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.e164.arpa ), then
> you must make explicit entries for all numbers of that domain

One have to generate records for all of the numbers which one want to have
NAPTR for.

How the generation is done is up to the DNS software one use, and many
(like later versions of Bind) have the ability to generate records
automatically so one doesn't have to type in all records manually.

  paf

Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>                         Cisco Systems
Consulting Engineer                                  Office of the CSO
Phone: (Stockholm) +46-8-6859131            (San Jose) +1-408-525-8509
        PGP: 2DFC AAF6 16F0 F276 7843  2DC1 BC79 51D9 7D25 B8DC