Subject: [Enum] fyi RE: I-D ACTION:draft-dommety-e212-dns-00.txt

From: "Gallant, Andy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:55:57 -0500

This Internet Draft was announced earlier today
(see below) and stated that comments should be
directed to this (ENUM WG) list.

Here are some comments about how this I-D
talks about E.212 (and RFC 2916).

FYI, E.212 IMSIs are identifiers.  IMSIs are
not intended "for dialling purposes" even though
they happen to be strings of decimal digits.

IMSIs have to do with roaming and mobility 
services, providing unique international
identification of mobile terminals and/or users.

The term "E.212 number" is incorrect.  E.212 is not
used the same way that E.164 is.  The I-D also lacks 
a Scenario and examples that describe associated 
services, and it is not "very similar" to RFC 2916.

A reference to the current version of E.212 is:
ITU-T  Recommendation  E.212, The international 
identification plan for mobile terminals and mobile 
users, 11/98.

It would be very interesting to understand the context
for this Internet Draft.  In particular, it would be
useful to have some indication of the authors' thoughts
about the E.212-related issues, what some useful work
efforts might be, and what next steps might be considered.

Regards,

-Andy

Andrew Gallant, NeuStar, Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue NW, 4th Floor
Washington, DC  20005  USA
Tel:    +1 202 533 2812
Fax:    +1 202 533 2987
Email:  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 7:11 AM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dommety-e212-dns-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: E.212 number and DNS
	Author(s)	: G. Dommety et al.
	Filename	: draft-dommety-e212-dns-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 22-Jun-01
	
An  E212 number or IMSI  (International  Mobile Station Identity) is
used to uniquely identify a mobile station Internationally. This
document discusses the use of the Domain Name System (DNS) for
storage of information regarding E.212 numbers and  how DNS can be
used for identifying available services connected to one E.212
number. This draft is adaptation of RFC 2916 to E.212 numbers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dommety-e212-dns-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dommety-e212-dns-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dommety-e212-dns-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Gopal Dommety <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 06:43:52 -0700

Andy,

Sorry for the delay (I was travelling).
Thanks for the comments. Please see reply inline.

>they happen to be strings of decimal digits.

I agree.

>identification of mobile terminals and/or users.

I agree.

>The term "E.212 number" is incorrect.  E.212 is not

This term is frequently used. Not sure if I understand the concern.

>services, and it is not "very similar" to RFC 2916.

I agree with u that E.164 and E212 are different. And in that context this 
draft is not very simlar to RFC2916.
It is similar to RFC2916 from  DNS perspective.

>identification plan for mobile terminals and mobile

I will add this reference to the draft.

>efforts might be, and what next steps might be considered.

3GPP (UMTS/3G standards body - under the umbrella of ITU) is considering 
using SUA (SCCP User Adaptation Layer)  for transporting mobile related
  SS7 messages in the Core network. Details of this study can be found in 
TR 29.903. The aim is to transport these message over the existing  IP 
network.

IMSI is used to uniquely identify a mobile subscriber globally. When a 
mobile shows up at  foreign  network, the foreign network
gets the IMSI of the mobile. Depending on the IMSI we want to be able to 
route SS7 traffic to the Home Network (as obtained from DNS).
This is the motivation behind the draft. Doing this will significantly 
reduce the configuration information that needs to be maintained in mobile 
networks regarding
foreign IMSIs and facilitate sending of these messages using  SUA. Going 
forward there could be other features that can be developed.

Regards,
Gopal