Subject: [Enum] fyi, NEUSTAR to manage establishment of European Telephony Numbering Space (ETNS)

From: "Judith Oppenheimer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:45:08 -0500

I just received this -- thoughts?  comments?

Judith

Release:  Immediate                                      Contact: Bill
Stern (202-533-2648)

Online:  www.neustar.com

                ERO SELECTS NEUSTAR TO MANAGE ETNS

Washington, DC/London, UK (March 06, 2001) – NeuStar, Inc. announced today
that it has been selected by the European Radiocommunications Office (ERO)
to manage the establishment of the European Telephony Numbering Space
(ETNS), which will establish a single country code for all of Europe, and
assist in enhancing the availability of pan-European telecommunications
services.

NeuStar, North America’s leading provider of interoperability solutions,
opened an office in London last year to provide assistance to European
telecommunications companies facing interoperability issues.

ERO is a permanent office of the European Committee on Telecommunications
Regulatory Affairs of CEPT (European Conference of Postal and
Telecommunications Administrations) and a centre of expertise in the fields
of licensing, numbering and radiocommunications.

In a competitive bidding process, NeuStar was selected by CEPT as the
preferred provider of ETNS number administration services.  ERO noted that
NeuStar proposed a flexible and scalable technical solution and proposed a
sound project and communications plan.

“We are delighted to have been selected for this project, which is a
critical next step in the evolution of Europe’s telecommunications
infrastructure,” said Christine Walker, Vice President of Business
Development for NeuStar, Europe.  “Our extensive interoperability
experience ensures that we will be able to provide the necessary stability
and flexibility for the new ETNS system.”

“The NeuStar solution demonstrates to us the essential components of
openness and neutrality,” said ERO Director Thormod Bøe.  “It provides for
a transaction-based pricing scheme that we also expect will encourage
smaller service providers and network operators to become active in the
ETNS market.”

NeuStar, Inc., based in Washington, D.C., is committed to administering
high quality, evenhanded and competitively neutral infrastructure services
to the communications industry. NeuStar provides registry services to the
entire North American communications industry.  As the Local Number
Portability Administrator, NeuStar manages the registry database that is a
critical component for the routing of all telephone calls in North America.
Neustar also acts as the North American Numbering Plan Administrator.  This
associated registry database contains all of the area codes and central
office codes (or exchanges) in North America. Visit NeuStar online at
www.neustar.com, and the new ETNS website at www.etns.org .

###

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
Judith Oppenheimer
212 684-7210, 1 800 The Expert
Publisher, http://ICBTollFreeNews.com
"An important source of inside information," says InfoWorld;
"superb", "invaluable", "critically intelligent", "exceedingly
useful", report ICB Premium Subscribers.
ENTER HERE:  http://www.roibot.com/w.cgi?R1764_sig
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 08:51:59 +1100

>I just received this -- thoughts?  comments?

Yes:  The topic has nothing to do with the technical effort of an IETF 
working group.

It is not appropriate to discuss it here.

d/

----------
Dave Crocker   <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "A.M.Rutkowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:47:56 +0100

>I just received this -- thoughts?  comments?

Of course this is relevant is we are going to
deal with regional or national administrative
issues.  Fortunately such discussions have
been halted, and will apparently continue in
a CEC forum equivalent to the USG's ITAC-T
SG-A ENUM AdHoc.

best,
tony

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:37:26 +1100

At 07:47 PM 3/8/2001, A.M.Rutkowski wrote:
>issues.

IETF working groups do not discuss business announcements, Tony.  You 
should know that.

d/

----------