Subject: RE: [Enum] Development and Basis of International Telephone Numbe ring

From: BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:50:19 +0100

Tony,
I can not understand why you think ITU wants to have the hold on every
single domain name which contains E.164 numbers. Neither ITU or any other
entity can. And ITU does not claim it.
I do not understand why you don't want to hear that there are some people
who feel that having a DNS zone under ITU authority to who Member States can
go easily is something that they need.
Are these people and ITU as a coordinator threatening e164.org ? I don't
think so. Furthermore, in my opinion, Member states don't think that they
leave their sovereignty to ITU. They hope to have easier dispute resolution
through ITU, where they are consulted, than through ICANN, a californian law
entity.
Why fighting against an option that some people agree if this option allows
other to exist ? I hope that the coordination of ITU with the collaboration
of NRAs in charge of numbers would allow an ENUM trusted domain. And I need
it if i want to enter ENUM business.
Please Tony, let's be open minded.
 
Valerie.

end of message 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Valérie Barnole 

FTR&D/DAC/ACE 

tel. : + 33 1 45 29 58 39 
fax : + 33 1 46 29 31 42 

mail to : [email-masked] 

-----Message d'origine-----
De : A.M. Rutkowski [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : lundi 12 mars 2001 22:13
À : [email-masked]
Objet : [Enum] Development and Basis of International Telephone Numbering

Abstract

   This document describes the development and basis of International
   Telephone Numbering as it has been manifested through the
   activities and formal instruments of the International
   Consultative Committee for Telephony (CCIF) and forums of the
   International Telecommunication Union (ITU).  The current 
   practices for International Telephony Numbering are currently
   contained in a more general instrument, the International Public
   Telecommunication Numbering Plan, ITU-T Recommendation E.164 
   (05/97).
   
   The historical record of this activity makes it clear that the
   basis for telephone numbering has always been that of autonomous
   sovereign nations and their international public telephony service
   providers cooperating among themselves to facilitate the routing of
   calls between their independent national telephony networks.  This
   historical record and basic instruments clearly contradict the
   notion of a simple authoritative numbering namespace hierarchy
   governed under the ITU and applied to all instantiations of
   telephone numbers, such as ENUM-based identifier services in either
   designated or competitive DNS zones provided using the RFC2916
   protocol.  

This has been temporarily placed at the following
location:

http://www.ngi.org/enum/pub/draft-rutkowski-enum-basis-00.txt
<http://www.ngi.org/enum/pub/draft-rutkowski-enum-basis-00.txt>

---

From: "A.M.Rutkowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:14:36 -0500

Hi Valerie,

>who feel that having a DNS zone under ITU authority to who Member States 
>can go easily is something that they need.
>leave their sovereignty to ITU. They hope to have easier dispute 
>resolution through ITU, where they are consulted, than through ICANN, a 
>californian law entity.
>Why fighting against an option that some people agree if this option 
>allows other to exist ? I hope that the coordination of ITU with the 
>collaboration of NRAs in charge of numbers would allow an ENUM trusted 
>domain. And I need it if i want to enter ENUM business.

The Internet Draft was essentially a historical compilation
which seems to support what you are saying about the
autonomy among nations and providers that resulted in the
present international public telephone number arrangements.

To the extent there are any kind of message embedded
in the document, it's that enhancing trust in end user
zones may require multiple techniques, and that digital
certificates could likely be very useful as a trust
tool.

The other issue you raise - which is the role of Member
States in establishing and regulating designated ENUM
zones - was of course a subject before WTPF2001 which
we shared together last week. :-)  This raises an
extensive set of additional complexities that the I-D
doesn't deal with, but will considered in a great many
forums over the coming months and years.

bon journee,
tony