Subject: [Enum] Development and Basis of International Telephone Numbering

From: "A.M. Rutkowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:12:47 -0500

Abstract

    This document describes the development and basis of International
    Telephone Numbering as it has been manifested through the
    activities and formal instruments of the International
    Consultative Committee for Telephony (CCIF) and forums of the
    International Telecommunication Union (ITU).  The current
    practices for International Telephony Numbering are currently
    contained in a more general instrument, the International Public
    Telecommunication Numbering Plan, ITU-T Recommendation E.164
    (05/97).

    The historical record of this activity makes it clear that the
    basis for telephone numbering has always been that of autonomous
    sovereign nations and their international public telephony service
    providers cooperating among themselves to facilitate the routing of
    calls between their independent national telephony networks.  This
    historical record and basic instruments clearly contradict the
    notion of a simple authoritative numbering namespace hierarchy
    governed under the ITU and applied to all instantiations of
    telephone numbers, such as ENUM-based identifier services in either
    designated or competitive DNS zones provided using the RFC2916
    protocol.

This has been temporarily placed at the following
location:

http://www.ngi.org/enum/pub/draft-rutkowski-enum-basis-00.txt