Subject: RE: [Enum] Tier II roll out

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:21:15 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David R. Conrad [mailto:[email-masked]]

> At 10:21 AM 2/21/2001 -0500, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> >I'm not familar with the details of what this animated 
> discussion has been
> >covering, but it does seem clear that enum is new ground for the DNS.
> 
> In as much as it has brought the IETF into direct ... um... 
> contact with 
> the ITU in new and interesting ways, yes it is new ground.  
> However, the 
> technology is not particularly new.

Agreed that the issues are not technological.

Here's a way to put it. Everything in the boeing.com is maintained by
Boeing. No one other than Boeing would give a hoot if someone screws around
with this domain.

The information in the e164.arpa database is instead controlled by multiple
organizations from many countries, and contains information that is
considered critical by these organizations (and by most people). It ought to
be predictable that where this info will be stored, how the databases will
made to remain synchronized, and who is allowed to touch the information,
would be topics of great concern to many people.

More people will be likely to scream about e164.arpa issues than about
boeing.com, is my contention. More people would also see financial rewards
in somehow using that database, providing the info in different formats,
somehow selling services that are derived from the information contained in
this e164.arpa database.

More people want to play, and there's greater impact if the information
becomes corrupted or unsynchronized. Isn't this what the discussions come
down to? The concerns are valid, no? Or at least, understandable.

Bert
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Mike Macgowan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:44:24 -0700

IMHO the.164 database should arise out of domain name registrations like the
reverse lookup tables for IP addresses to domain names. Phone numbers are
just another device that an organization (domain) controls. The enum table
could serve to be a reverse lookup of the domain name registered through the
current system under existing or new TLDs. I have proposed a system of
multiple DNS labels that would allow phone numbers and other pertinent
information that describe an organization to be combined with the name of
the organization to form a better name system. Those that are interested are
referred to
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-macgowan-dnsext-label-intel-manage
-00.txt