Subject: Re: [ENUM] French contribution

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:09:48 -0500

At 12:46 PM 1/12/2001 -0500, A.M.Rutkowski wrote:

>>>In case you didn't notice, there is a fairly extreme
>>>French government delayed contribution on ENUM that
>>>has just been submitted. See
>>>http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/com2/dcontr/01-04/dc-jan01/15.html
>>
>>Tony ..you have to have a TIES account to access this.
>
>Hi Richard,
>
>You can see it at http://www.ngi.org/enum/pub/15_ww9.htm

Actually this is not as bad as I might have suspected.

It has many positive points.

The French accept the value of RFC2916 as a "good thing" and that the use 
of E.164 naming is, and I quote ,"has the advantages of being stable 
world-wide used and well digested by end users".  ( I always enjoy 
references to food in technical documents) and "could facilitate the 
penetration of new applications into the mass market" .. a sentiment I 
totally agree with.

The contribution clearly understands the need for consistency between 
e164.arpa and E.164 and that there is a technical mandate for a single 
unique DNS tree. DNS Client resolvers cannot sort through multiple TLD to 
find a authoritive NS.

Where there seems to be some trouble is understanding the nature of 
e164.arpa. I thought we made this clear. RFC2916 states that e164.arpa 
follows E.164 and E.164 is a product of the ITU,  ... but this has been 
troublesome to many for quite a while.  I think some of us need to work a 
bit harder work harder to connect the dots here.

Among other things:

The contribution does not address ITU E.164 Network or Test codes etc.

I certainly agree that each Member-State is responsible for "appointing the 
body in charge of the management of the ENUM sub-domain".

This document _could_ be useful.

Richard Shockey, Senior Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue N.W., Suite 550, Washington DC. 20005
Voice: 202.533.2811,  Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: [email-masked]> or
<mailto: [email-masked]>
<http://www.neustar.com>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum