Subject: RE: [Enum] ITU ENUM Workshop: Issues for Regulators, Policy Maker s, and Numbering Authorities - January 17, 2001

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:10:20 -0500

John,

Per RFC 2026 "An "Informational" specification is published for the general
information of the Internet community, and does not represent an Internet
community consensus or recommendation."

If the idea is to document consensus, Informational thus doesn't seem
appropriate.  On the other hand, RFC 2026 has this to say about BCP:

"The BCP subseries of the RFC series is designed to be a way to standardize
practices and the results of community deliberations. A BCP document is
subject to the same basic set of procedures as standards track documents and
thus is a vehicle by which the IETF community can define and ratify the
community's best current thinking on a statement of principle or on what is
believed to be the best way to perform some operations or IETF process
function."

The "community deliberations" and "best current thinking" descriptions in
the latter quote are what triggered my suggestion for BCP.

Scott Hollenbeck
VeriSign Global Registry Services

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 8:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Enum] ITU ENUM Workshop: Issues for Regulators, Policy
Maker s, and Numbering Authorities - January 17, 2001

Hi all,

> Thank you for the clarification and the recommendation.  
> Based on the way you've described the BCP designation this 
> sounds like a more appropriate fit for the "roles & 
> responsibilities" draft.  

I may be wrong, but I think that BCP documents should be
based on implementational / usage experiences.  I don't
think we are at that stage yet. 

I think INFORMATION should be the best designation.

best regards,
John

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:22:02 +0200

Hi Scott,

> The "community deliberations" and "best current thinking" 
> descriptions in the latter quote are what triggered my suggestion 
> for BCP.

I stand corrected.

best regards,
John