Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: draft-loughney-enum-roaming-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:53:02 +0200

Hi James & Valerie,

[James said]
> Probably not interoperability and interworking.  I assume 
> that all cellular nodes can use IP to communicate with each 
> other (may be the 3G all IP networks?).

[Valerie said]
> > I do not see precisely how ENUM can facilitate interworking 
> > or interoperability between networks. Maybe there are other 
> > drafts I should read ?

ENUM can simplify the 'reachability' issue for cellular networks
(or for network providers).  Currently, finding the HLR/VLR for
a particular subscriber when roaming is a complex task, mapping
from global title to SS7 signaling point code.  As networks move
to IP, this should be less complicated & hopefully allow some
different protocols to interoperate more easily.

An example could be:

I'm roaming in China.  At the point of attachment to the network,
the Chinese operator needs to check if I can get service.  The
access point can use ENUM to find the address of my authorization
node (HLR, let's say) and retrieves it's location (IP address).
Then, it could use MAP over IP (a la SIGTRAN) or AAA (DIAMETER) 
to verify that I can roam in China.

best regards,
John

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum