Subject: RE: [Enum] I-DACTION:draft-ranalli-peek-walter-enum-t1ro les-00.t xt

From: BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:07:59 +0100

Douglas,
as i think my former message didnot reach the ENUM list because of the files
attached, I copy it here. It is a proposal of mapping of terminology with
some terms used in ITU rec on UIFN.
 
It proposes either to use "Service Access Provider" either to quote  a
mapping with the ITU terminology in order everybody understand from the
"Bellheads" :-)
 
I'd like to be sure that the term RespOrg will not be understood or
flavoured as "Regulator", because at the end of the day, except from
resources directly given by the ITU, they are the one entity who provide the
telecommunication numbers.
 
***************Copy of my former mail :
 
Judith,Paul,

do you see any possible use of the terminology used through ITU
recommendations E.152, E.169 (universal international freephone service) or
any possible mapping between the entities you describe and the ones who play
a part in these recommendations ? This could provide a universal
understanding.

For instance, §4.3 of Rec. E.152 defines "Service Provider A" as having a
role quite similar to that of RespOrg. 

SP A has recently be changed to "International Freephone Service access
provider", after a contribution from Teledenmark to add portability
guidelines, (UIFNportb057_ww9.doc that I join here).

Valerie.

end of message 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Valérie Barnole 

FTR&D/DAC/ACE 

tel. : + 33 1 45 29 58 39 
fax : + 33 1 46 29 31 42 

mail to : [email-masked] 

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Douglas Ranalli [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : mercredi 29 novembre 2000 18:44
À : [email-masked]
Objet : [Enum] I-DACTION:draft-ranalli-peek-walter-enum-t1ro les-00.txt

Great comments on terminology.  Here's an initial attempt to achieve closure
on the terminology for the entity described under Section 4.2 that issues an
E.164 number to a Subscriber: 

"Section 4.2:  Telecommunications Number Provider (TNP):"

Reason #1:  The term is perfectly descriptive for the role defined under
Section 4.2.  

Reason #2:  The term is broad enough to encompass multiple types of
organizations that might provide this role in the context of an ENUM System.
For example:  Telephone Service Providers, Application Service Providers,
Responsible Organizations, Resellers, etc.

Reason #3:  The term seemed to achieve a certain level of support from the
group.

Reason #4:  The alternate proposal of "authenticator" may have a tendency to
create confusion with the "Registrar" role described under Section 4.7. 

Please respond back if you'd like to continue the discussion on the use of
this term.  Otherwise, I'll make the change in the next turn of the draft.

Doug

Douglas J. Ranalli
Founder & Chief Strategy Officer
NetNumber
650 Suffolk Street, Suite 307
Lowell, MA  01854
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
www.netnumber.com <http://www.netnumber.com> 
978-454-4210 ext 22
978-454-5044 (fax)