Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: draft-loughney-enum-roaming-00.txt

From: BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:09:25 +0100

John,
I am sorry, I can't retrieve your draft-loughney-enum-roaming-00.txt. Can
you send it, please ?

I suppose that in this draft, you populate the DNS with E.212 or E.214
numbers. I do not have your draft to see how you deal with the
confidentiality of the IMSI, but my first idea is that mobile operators
should be very reluctant to populate the DNS with such confidential data.
Thank you for sending me your draft.

Regards,

Valerie.

end of message
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Valérie Barnole

FTR&D/DAC/ACE

tel. : + 33 1 45 29 58 39
fax : + 33 1 46 29 31 42

mail to : [email-masked]

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : mardi 7 novembre 2000 08:34
À : [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : [Enum] RE: draft-loughney-enum-roaming-00.txt

Hi James & everyone,

> One reason that GTT is used in SS7 message transport is 
> because the message routing in many cases involve two 
> cellular networks in different countries. A SS7 point code 
> in U.K. cannot be used directly by a SS7 node in France to
> send a SS7 message to.   IP will change that because IP is 
> global.  This is just one example of use of ENUM.  Another 
> example is to identify the message center that serves a 
> particular cellular subscriber when there is a short
> message destined towards that subscriber.  In this example, 
> the E.164 number is assigned to an cellular subscriber; 
> however, the service that uses ENUM is again a "network-related 
> service."

Thanks for summarizing the intention of this draft.  You did 
a much better job that what I did at Pittsburgh :)

I also want to mention that this issues will get much more
complicated in the proposed 3G networks.  There will be 
operators implementing all of their networks over IP.  In 
your scenario, there will need to be some negotiation/
mapping between the SS7 addresses and IP address that will
be assigned for the VLR/HLR.

One further complication is that there may be AAA servers 
providing the same functionality for 3G cellular subscribers.

I would like to think that ENUM could be a techology that is
used to promote interoperability/interworking for this 
purpose.

> John and I would like to hear from you to see whether they is 
> any problem to move this I-D forward.  

thanks,
John

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum