Subject: [Enum] New ITU Recommendation E.195 on numbering resources administration

From: Herman Silbiger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 11:49:10 -0400

The following information is submitted to enum since it should be of
interest to the working group.

The ITU-T, at the World Telecommunications Standardization Assembly,
agreed to form the ITU Numbering Administration Group (NAG) within the
Telecommunication Standardization Bureau (TSB.)  The NAG is defined in
new Recommendation E.195, ITU-T International Numbering Resource
Administration. E.195 defines processes to ensure that all requests for
numbering resources are handled in an impartial, uniform, consistent,
and effective manner.

The two primary responsibilities of ITU-NAG will be:

- resource administration - support ITU's efforts to accommodate current
and future numbering needs, and to provide advice interested parties on
numbering issues for the resources for which it has responsibility;
- resource registration - assign and administer resources in an
impartial, uniform, consistent, and effective manner consistent with
ITUT developed Recommendations.

ITU-NAG will consult with appropriate ITU-T Study Groups as necessary to
solicit advice with regard to the administration and registration of
resources. For example, for technical issues relating to the
international telephone, telegraph, and telex services, SG 2 will need
to be consulted. For issues related to international signaling system
No. 7, SG 11 should be consulted; for carrier codes, SG 4; for T.35 fax
non-standard facilities country codes, SG 16; and for international data
services it should be SG 7. SG 2, as the lead SG on numbering resources
operational matters, is the source for consultation on all matters of
relevance to these resources.

The ITU-NAG may call upon the technical expertise of the appropriate SG
to review assignee conformance. with appropriate and relevant
Recommendations . The purpose of such reviews  is to ensure assignee
conformance with appropriate and relevant Recommendations and to
determine if the resource(s) requested are actually required based
primarily on the utilization of already assigned resources.  The review
may occur:

- at the request for an additional resource when it appears that the
assigned resources may not be properly utilized; or
- when there is suspicion (by ITU-NAG or a complainant) that an assigned
resource is not being used in conformance with the appropriate
Recommendation(s).

Following is a list of the ITU-T Recommendation that define numbering
resources of potential interest to enum:

- E.164 Country Codes (including shared Country Codes and associated
Identification Codes).
- Registration and Administration of E.169.1 Universal International
Freephone Numbers (UIFNs).
- E.164 Dialling Procedures (International prefix, national (trunk)
prefix and national significant number).
- E.212 Mobile Country Codes.
- Supplement 2 to Recommendation E.180 Various Tones used in National
Networks.
- X.121 Data Country Codes (DCCs) and Data Network Identification Codes
(DNICs).
- X.125 Identification Codes for public frame relay data networks and
ATM networks numbered under the E.164 numbering plan.
- T.35 Allocation of ITU-T Defined Codes for Non-Standard Facilities.
- Universal Personal Telecommunication Numbers (Recommendation E.168
refers).
- Universal International Premium Rate Numbers (Recommendation E.169.2
refers).
- Universal International Shared Cost Numbers (Recommendation E.169.3
refers).

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum