Subject: RE: [Enum] ITU-T SG2/Q1 Issues Discussion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:32:40 -0400

Customer/routing information in the SMS800 database can be updated only by the
"Resporg" (responsible organization) - the carrier selected by the customer to
manage a given toll-free number.  Only the current Resporg can transfer Resporg
responsibility to another carrier.  It is the responsibility of the current
Resporg to maintain mechanisms to authenticate customer requests to modify
SMS800 database data or to change Resporg.  Having worked in a Resporg data
management group, I know that mechanisms are in place, but even so, there can be
occassional problems.

Jim Baskin

"Judith Oppenheimer" <[email-masked]> on 10/13/2000 11:03:25 AM

To:   "'Patrik Fältström'" <[email-masked]>, "'Jay R. Hilton'"
      <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: James Baskin)
Subject:  RE: [Enum] ITU-T SG2/Q1 Issues Discussion

5. There are a number of countries (and other numbering environments) in
   which there are multiple providers of call routing and number/name-
   translation services.  In these areas, any system that permits users,
   or putative agents for users, to change routing or supplier
   information may provide incentives for changes that are actually
   unauthorized (and, in some cases, for denial of legitimate change
   requests).  Such environments should be designed with adequate
   mechanisms for identification and authentication of those requesting
   changes and for authorization of those changes.

Correct me if I'm wrong:  does this not apply to the U.S. SMS/800 systsem?

ie, that it "should be designed with adequate mechanisms for identification
and authentication of those requesting changes and for authorization of
those changes."?

Judith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Patrik Fältström
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2000 10:48 AM
To: Jay R. Hilton; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Enum] ITU-T SG2/Q1 Issues Discussion

At 17.28 -0400 00-10-12, Jay R. Hilton wrote:
>Delayed Document #304, source LMGT
>TITLE:    Unofficial updated version of "E.164 number and DNS"
><draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03>
>Abstract
>This contribution is an unofficial update of "E.164 number and DNS"
><draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03>, an internet draft approved by the IESG as a
>proposed standard.  It is provided for working purposes only.

This is now published as RFC 2916, which can be found as
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2916.txt.

    Patrik

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Judith Oppenheimer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:47:27 -0400

>It is the responsibility of the current
>SMS800 database data or to change Resporg.

The problems are more than occasional, the methods are many (at the customer
level, at the RespOrg level, and at the SMS/800 level), sometimes
fraudulent, often simply negligent.

My question is, how is the execution of ENUM affected by portability
environments that are *not* designed with adequate    mechanisms for
identification and authentication of those requesting changes and for
authorization of those changes?

Judith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2000 11:33 AM
To: Judith Oppenheimer
Cc: 'Patrik Fältström'; 'Jay R. Hilton'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Enum] ITU-T SG2/Q1 Issues Discussion

Customer/routing information in the SMS800 database can be updated only by
the
"Resporg" (responsible organization) - the carrier selected by the customer
to
manage a given toll-free number.  Only the current Resporg can transfer
Resporg
responsibility to another carrier.  It is the responsibility of the current
Resporg to maintain mechanisms to authenticate customer requests to modify
SMS800 database data or to change Resporg.  Having worked in a Resporg data
management group, I know that mechanisms are in place, but even so, there
can be
occassional problems.

Jim Baskin

"Judith Oppenheimer" <[email-masked]> on 10/13/2000 11:03:25
AM

Judith

-----Original Message-----

    Patrik