Subject: RE: [Enum] Re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03.txt

From: "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:06:04 -0500

And the MIME-version: 1.0 heading was a major protocol engineering error.
Because we did not define how the core MIME spec was supposed to be
extended, we are in a situation where the mime-version header must always be
present and the version must always be 1.0 and hence, the entire header is
now useless bagage.   If we intend "+" in ENUM to be for future
extensibility, we need to clearly understand how it is to be used to extend
the protocol.

Greg V.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Mealling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 12:51 PM
To: Manfredi, Albert E
Cc: 'BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS'; 'Patrik Fältström'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Enum] Re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03.txt

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 01:42:57PM -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Or am I missing something here?

I think the issue is more along the lines of allowing future extenstibility.
I.e. if we don't put the "+" in there now then it makes it much
harder for us to work around it in the future. Much like the issue
surrounding the MIME version header. Its supposed to never change from
version 1.0 but it was thought best to put it in there "just in case"
we realized something latter.

I.e. if you put the "+" in there now it doesn't cause any real pain.
But in the future if you want to tell the difference and it isn't there
then it makes life really suck....

-MM

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       |
www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:
14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:04:01 -0400

> extensibility, we need to clearly understand how it is to be used to extend

100% aggreement on that one!

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]