Subject: [Enum] limit "e164 number" scope (re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-...)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:09:32 -0400

For now I suggest that a limited scope of the term "E.164 number" 
     would be helpful and timely.  
     
     In-scope would be, in effect, numbers that an international switch 
     could handle.  This implies: a number begins with a valid E.164 CC; an 
     international switch could route on that CC; and the use is public 
     telecommunications.  Private numbers and even national (significant) 
     numbers would be out of scope (again, for now).
     
     Roughly speaking, here an "E.164 number" is what you could use for an 
     international call via the PSTN.  That's a useful subset of numbers.
     
     In the US one would dial 011-800-<uifn> as an international freephone 
     call.  In other countries one might dial 00-800-<uifn> for the "same" 
     call.  This is represented as +800-<uifn>.  This is NOT the same as 
     1-800-<7-digits> or 1-888-<7-digits>, because these are toll-free 
     numbers in the US.  In other words, 800 as a CC is very different from 
     800 as a non-geographic NPA in the US.  
     
     Note that + may be a useful way to identify an in-scope number, since 
     international numbers are commonly written with a + to alert the user.
     
     Limiting the scope is a practical approach.  It involves number 
     format, valid CC, and intended use.  It's not meant to preclude future 
     work to extend or generalize from enum.  I'm suggesting that it will 
     help get to a workable enum for a definable set of numbers.
     
     Thanks for listening.  Recall that E.164 and E.123 are Recommendations 
     and not requirements, and please remember my usual disclaimer.
     
     -Andy
     
     =========(note:  email address change)=========
     Andrew Gallant ([email-masked]);  LMGT
     Lockheed Martin Global Telecommunications, Inc.
     6560 Rock Spring Drive;  Bethesda, MD 20817 USA
     Tel:   +1 301 214 3264;  Fax:   +1 301 214 7226

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum