Subject: RE: [Enum] Re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03.txt

From: BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:07:54 +0200

I understand that an E.164 numberis stored in e164.arpa. and that as long as
the system identifies the dialled number as an E.164 one (that means first
digits = country code, and not regional code for instance), he knows how to
handle it and where to search.

What I do not see clearly is the case of what you may call competing closed
numbering plans : in my example the national swedish one, the telia
customers one (where are gathered the blocks of numbers allocated by the
swedish regulator to this operator. The system will need something to know
somethig in order to append the same dialled swedish national number either
with e164.se or telia.se. You may answer that the calling party will dial
differently, and that will be the hint for the system, but it is getting
rather complicated...

Maybe I did not get what you mean with "When writing a spec for any closed
numbering plan, you have to spec what TLD _that_ closed numbering plan is to
use."

Thanks in advance if you can clarify.

end of message
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Valérie Barnole

FTR&D/DAC/ACE

tel. : + 33 1 45 29 58 39
fax : + 33 1 46 29 31 42

mail to : [email-masked]

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Patrik Fältström [mailto:[email-masked]]
Date: jeudi 10 août 2000 17:47
À: BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS
Cc: [email-masked]'; Manfredi, Albert E; 'Hong Liu'
Objet: RE: [Enum] Re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03.txt

At 17.27 +0200 00-08-10, BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS wrote:
>
>So a user dialing on his PC a number with a "+" in front indicates to the
>system that it has to look through e164.arpa rather than in the originating
>country of the call, namely Sweden and e164.se in your example ?

No, I have not even started talking about the interface to the 
applications, but if _I_ wrote an application I would probably do it 
that way.

>A maybe trivial question :
>How does the system knows that it has to go through telia.se rather than
>through e164.se in case Telia operator decided to put its customers numbers
>in a DNS zone telia.se for any reason ?

Because it knows that E.164 numbers are handled in the e164.arpa 
domain, and the closed numbering plan somewhere else. When writing a 
spec for any closed numbering plan, you have to spec what TLD _that_ 
closed numbering plan is to use.

   paf

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:59:29 +0200

At 18.07 +0200 00-08-10, BARNOLE Valerie FTRD/DAC/ISS wrote:
>The system will need something to know

I think I talk about the same things as you. When talking about a 
closed numbering plan, you need to define it, where in DNS it "hooks 
in" in the form of two things (at least):

(1) What string is the input to the NAPTR algorithm?
(2) What top-domain the reversed number is to hook into?

Now, a NAPTR which have no flags is to be applied to the initial 
string defined in (1), and the result of that regexp rewrite is to be 
a domainname which is replacing the domainname just used. A new NAPTR 
is looked up and _the_same_ string as in (1) is applied to that 
regexp.

My claim is that one day it might be the case that this recursive 
process might actually in some way translate the domainname one 
produces from the ENUM wg (by choosing e164.arpa in step (2) above) 
into the same domainname one produces from some _future_ definition 
of how to use an ENUM-like algorithm (by choosing some other domain 
in step (2) above).

In this same domainname which you then use in the second step in the 
recursive process of NAPTR resolution you will have regular 
expressions, and I really want to make it possible for people to 
distinguish in the regular expression (if one wants to) the two 
numbers (defined in step (1) above in the two paths).

If one want to, of course the regexp can be made to  match strings 
both with and without the leading '+', but if we don't have the '+' 
in the beginning of E.164 it will not be possible to distinguish 
between them.

    paf