Subject: [Enum] Re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03.txt

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 22:00:20 +0200

At 09.00 -0500 00-08-09, James Yu wrote:
>-  In several places, you mentioned that "An E.164 number, without any
>characters but leading '+' and digits, (result of step 2 in section 2
above)
>is the input to the NAPTR algorithm."   Since '+' has been removed from the
>E.164 number during the "enum process" of formulating the DNS query, it is
>not clear how this leading '+' in the original E.164 number has anything to
>do with the NAPTR algorithm during the DNS process.    I have noticed that
>you specified that the E.164 number if the form as specified in step 2 in
>section 2 is used as the first operand.  Is there a special reason that the
>leading '+' must be there?  Is there is a good reason (e.g., to indicate
>that it is an international number)?  It would be better to discuss how to
>formulate/recover the E.164 number from the DNS query plus the leading '+'
>without referring to the enum process if we are addressing the NAPTR
>algorithm.

Yes. In a future version it _might_ be the case that we can have a
similar function for a non-E.164 number. So we made the choice of
keeping the '+' to signal to the regexp rewrite that we are talking
about a "real" E.164 number, as you think.

>- Page 5, section 3.2.2, 1st paragraph, 2nd to the last line:
>    Please clarify which procedure is restarted with this new E.164 number.
>Is it the enum procedure or is it the tel procedure?   I guess that you are
>talking about the enum process.  So if the tel URL contains the same E.164
>number, a loop is detected and the client will not repeat the enum process.
>But if the tel URL contains a different E.164 number, then the enum process
>will start again.  Or are you implying that the enum process will not
>restart for any E.164 number in the tel URL?

No, I am talking about the "tel" resolution. Someone have to talk
about how to resolv a tel: URI given that the ENUM algorithm exist.
Note that this is just an example.

>- Editorial comments:
>   * Page 2, step 1, 2nd line:
>     Change "countrycode IDDD" to "country code."

Ok.

>   * Page 3, section 3.1, 2nd line:
>     Incomplete sentence.  It seems that you want to refer to a reference
(for
>details) but also show some info. from that reference below the sentence.

Ok. A reference is missing.

>   * Page 4, last paragraph:
>     Change "a one" to "an" at the 1st line and "step" to "steps" at the
last
>line.

Ok.

>   * Page 5, section 3.2.3, 1st paragraph, 2nd line:
>     Change "countrycode" to "country code."

Ok

>   * Section 6, 1st line:
>     Change "has" to "have."

Ok.

    paf

>
>James Yu
>Principal Technical Industry Liaison
>NeuStar Inc.
>1120 Vermont Avenue, NW,
>Suite 550
>Washington, D.C. 20005
>USA
>+1-202-533-2814 (B)
>+1-202-533-2976 (Fax)
>+1-202-256-1200 (Mobile)
>[email-masked]
>http://www.neustar.com

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum