Subject: Re: [Enum] ENUM FAQ

From: Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:39:23 -0400

Hi Richard,

> WHAT IS E.164?
...
> At the root of the E.164
> administrative hierarchy, the ITU issues country codes to sovereign
> national entities and thereby allocates new telephony numbering resources
> as needed.

Not knowing the history of telephone numbering in Palestine or East Timor,
and knowing the history of telephone numbering in North America, I suggest
this be re-phrased to:

	At the root of the E.164 administrative hierarchy, the ITU
	allocates numeric labels (commonly referred to as "country
	codes") and thereby creates new telephony numbering resources
	as needed.

Indian Reserves and Reservations located in the interior of the Canada and
the US don't have "country codes", and the IETF has no obligation to get in
the business of deciding what is, or isn't a "country". We ran into this in
Domain Name System (DNS) IANA Considerations which recently went to BCP. It
has no dependency upon iso3166.

> HOW DOES ENUM WORK?

>                            ... where +1 is the North American country code.

Change to "where +1 is the value allocated to the United States of America."

> HOW WILL THE E164.ARPA DOMAIN BE ORGANIZED?
>
> One convenient way of doing this would be to delegate according to the 243
> country codes designated by the ITU.  It's important to understand,
> however, that delegation in DNS can occur at any digit, or zone domain in
> DNS terms

Please add a statement to the effect that adopting political geography in
the e164.arpa domain is likely to have the same effect it has had in the
DNS root domain, preventing Indigenous polities from equitable operational or
regulatory access to the resource.

> So within the root e164.arpa there would be an NS listing for 1.e164.arpa
> representing the top level of the North American Numbering Plan. [US,
> Canada, and several Caribbean countries]

Please change the parenthetical list to:

	[the US, Canada, several Caribbean countries, and the Indigenous
	 Nations of North America]

You may want to add periods for each of these two sentences.

> WHAT WILL BE THE EFFORT TO ADMINISTER THE ROOT OF THE E164.ARPA NAMESPACE?
..
> e164.arpa root administrator. Optimally the root of e164.arpa should
> contain a small listing of all of the national ENUM top level country code 

Just to scope the size of the top-level, adding Reserves and Reservations
in unaggregated form (not preferred) would expand the top-level by ~1K
entries. Adding Reserves and Reservations in aggregated form (preferred)
would expand the top-level by ~10 entries. Similar aggregations may apply
outside of North America, e.g., adding Aotearoa (New Zealand) would add but
one (aggregated) entry, not an entry for each Iwi in Aotearoa.

I only mention this to preclude the two usual arguments for exclusion (other
than lack of means). The proposal I made to Jon P. three years ago was to use
the X.121 regional identifiers to provide an escape mechanism from political
geography (iso3166 in the DNS root). The approach is viable for mapping e.164
to the DNS in the .arpa tld, and we don't have the ... err ... overhead of
the DNS root.

Number portability and shared resource discovery service within Indian Country
is desirable, and of course we are rather big on string-and-cans. ;-)

Eric

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:00:16 -0700

>and knowing the history of telephone numbering in North America, I suggest

I think that the suggested change is perfectly fine.

It creates no confusion, is accurate and precise, and sidesteps the 
controversial issue that is raised.

Since we really do not need to resolve the point of controversy, for the 
purposes of this activity, what the heck.  Let's make the change.

d/

---

From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 12:32:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Change to "where +1 is the value allocated to the United States of America."

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought +1 was also used by
a small number of other countries.  Such as Canada and the Cayman Islands.

-- 
		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   [email-masked]
U. Miami School of Law, P.O. Box 248087, Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA
+1 (305) 284-4285  |  +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)  |  http://www.law.tm
                        -->It's hot here.<--