Subject: [Enum] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-enum-operation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 06:42:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Telephone Number Mapping Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ENUM Service Specific Provisioning: Principles of 
                          Operation
 	Author(s)	: A. Brown, G. Vaudreuil
	Filename	: draft-ietf-enum-operation-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 14-Jul-00
	
This document outlines the principles for the operation of a
telephone number directory service.  This service provides for the
resolution of telephone numbers into Internet domain name addresses
and service specific directory discovery.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-operation-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-enum-operation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-operation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, NNAD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:38:12 -0400

I have some concerns about the treatment of portability in this document
and, in particular, the North American example.
It seems that the e.164 root points to the NANPA for CC=1 which in turn
points to the Number Portability Authority (putatively NPAC) for NPA-NXXs
that are portable. The NPAC in turn points to the ported-to service
provider, which, in the example, is itself the Service Registrar.
Leaving aside the questions of the willingness of NANPA and NPAC to provide
these services
(for a few dollars more ... :-), given the penetration of portability, I
don't see the point of having two separate levels. As I've argued earlier,
portability means that once you get to the national authority you're going
to have to define a zone for each number or block of numbers assigned to a
user. 
I agree that this level, maintained by NPAC or whoever, could refer to the
telephone service provider for the number but why not directly to the
Service Registrar? The document cites the  Long Distance PIC process as an
example of service registration with an arbiter function but this remains a
source of contention. If customers are free to choose a service registrar,
why not provision that directly in the NANP-level DNS?

Penn Pfautz
AT&T
732-420-4962
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 6:43 AM
To: IETF-Announce; @[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Enum] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-enum-operation-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Telephone Number Mapping Working Group of
the IETF.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum