Subject: RE: [Enum] FW: Last Call or New Draft? - .arpa or .e;164.itu.in t ?

From: "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:08:58 -0500

Aaarg.  Why do people continue to think ENUM is only about phone calls????

There are half-a-dozen ways to send a message using a telephone number....
each completely different services, each of which may have alternatives.

There dozens of potential information services that may be provided behind a
telephone number....

Not to restate the obvious, but phone number are useful!  As long as the
telephone keypad is the primary user interface on the vast majority of
legacy and NEW communications terminals, the number of messaging, calling,
and information services so addressed will continue to expand.

Greg V.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Mealling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 1:09 PM
To: David P. Peek
Cc: Patrik Fältström; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Enum] FW: Last Call or New Draft? - .arpa or .e;164.itu.in
t ?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 11:39:20AM -0400, David P. Peek wrote:
> With the way ENUM requirements are defined today the Fältström draft
> supports these requirements by returning all the services based on a
query.
> 
> I agree that there are scalability issues with this approach that is why
the
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-peek-enum-itd-00.txt draft
> supports 'application specific queries' which allows specific service
> information to be retrieved separately based on a known service ("Service
> Protocal") thereby limiting the amount of information returned solving the
> scalability issue. (ie. sip.x.x.x.x.x.x.e164.arpa)

I've heard this several times but I've never seen a single example
of anything that advertises more than a small handful of services.
How many different ways are there to make a telephone call these days
anyway?

-MM

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       |
www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:
14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:05:06 -0400

> and information services so addressed will continue to expand.

Point taken. But the question still stands:

Do you really expect more than a handful? And if so what might they
be and why so many?

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]