Subject: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-02.txt: RR types

From: Hong Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:20:42 -0400

Hi, all,

draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-02.txt only mentions using NAPTR RR for ENUM.
Does this mean NAPTR is the default RR type for ENUM?  In passing, I
noticed that people also talked about SRV and DNAME RRs in the context
of ENUM, also in the recent operation draft
draft-ietf-enum-operation-00.txt.

I would like to get a sense on where we are in terms of using multiple
RR types for the purpose of ENUM, or whether rough consensus has been
reached on this topic. If so, it would nice to provide some guidelines
to what RR to use in what situations.

--Hong

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:25:21 -0700

>draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-02.txt only mentions using NAPTR RR for ENUM.

Remember that ENUM is _only_ about fetching a URI given an E.164 
number. We only need NAPTR RRs for that feature.

Other RRs can be used for solving other problems than the one 
specified in the wg charter.

This has been explain several times...see mailing list archive for 
more extensive explanations.

    paf