Subject: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-rqmts-01.txt: Section 3.3

From: Hong Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:18:45 -0400

Anne,

I have some questions regarding Section 3.3. In the second paragraph,

"The system SHOULD provide access to capabilities relevant to the
 telephone number in question.  The retrieval or negotiation of
 capabilities will depend on the outcome of the rescap work or work
 done in other groups. "

I may miss the early discussions. Could you explain when this would be
useful and why it is not in conflict with Section 3.2, when it says that
"The retrieval or negotiation of capabilities is beyond the scope of
the system."?

Thanks for the clarification,

--Hong

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:14:48 -0500

>Anne,

Let me try and answer some of these questions since Anne is on leave and if 
we need to make some clarifications to the text we need to settle this 
pretty quickly since I have a message to the IESG ready to post on the 
results of last call.

>"The retrieval or negotiation of capabilities is beyond the scope of

It would be useful to eventually retrieve capabilities of end points before 
"call setup", however the methodology of retrieval and the syntax for the 
presentation of capability data is out of scope for ENUM and is the task of 
the RESCAP WG.

We have to assume that many endpoints will have multiple or limited 
capabilities for   processing  text, voice, video etc. We cannot assume 
that terminal devices will be simple "black phones".

Please Note New Contact Information:

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
5237 Sutherland
St. Louis, MO 63109
Voice 314.503.0640
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<